Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMSOIL Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    What a difference in forums. Post #1 was put up on Bimmerfest at the same time as here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=731073 To date, not one comment on it.
    Interesting, there is also no "mtf wow" thread over there so maybe little to no product knowledge / use. Im not even a member over there, so not sure :-)

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3MROADY View Post
    Yes that's what I used. No mention of viscosity on label. I'm guessing it's the same as Mtf 5 w-30.
    They ar the same just an updated label no worries

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    They ar the same just an updated label no worries
    OK good to know Thanks. May I suggest stop referring to it as MTF "5w-30" then? Id hate to see someone grab a quart of one of several Amsoil products labelled 5w-30 by mistake and use it in their tranny Perhaps thats why Amsoil dropped it from the transmission fluid label.

My Cars
    -
    I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to write down my experience somewhere.

I recently put Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF into my Z3 2.3 with the Getrag S5D 250G transmission (yellow sticker MTF-LT-1), and it works absolutely beautiful. It shifts like a brand-new transmission cold and hot, and the sometimes sticky 5th gear shift pin is completely cured. The old fluid had around 95k miles on it, came out watery thin and looked like used engine oil when I drained it from the warm transmission. Supposedly, Pennzoil Synchromesh is identical to a GM MTF designed for Getrag transmissions in GM cars.
    Last edited by me77; 06-06-2018 at 08:46 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by me77 View Post
    I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to write down my experience somewhere.

I recently put Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF into my Z3 2.3 with the Getrag S5D 250G transmission (yellow sticker MTF-LT-1), and it works absolutely beautiful. It shifts like a brand-new transmission cold and hot, and the sometimes sticky 5th gear shift pin is completely cured. The old fluid had around 95k miles on it, came out watery thin and looked like used engine oil when I drained it from the warm transmission. Supposedly, Pennzoil Synchromesh is identical to a GM MTF designed for Getrag transmissions in GM cars.
    I have been wondering about this stuff. Thanks for posting and bumping the thread to remind me. I may bring it to a shop to do since I do not have a jack or jack stands at this moment.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Pennzoil does not list their Synchromesh MTF as being suitable for the Z3. It is a 5W30 non-detergent oil with a friction modifer and an EP (extreme pressure) additive:
    http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

This is quite different from the ATF-based manual transmission fluids that meet BMW's specs for the Getrag transmission, which include:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post8573154
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    -
    According to table #5 on this website (link), a cSt value @ 100°C between 6 - 9 is similar to a 20W engine oil. The BMW MTF-LT-1 has 7.5 cSt @ 100°C, the Amsoil MTF listed in your link has 9.6 cSt and the Pennzoil Synchromesh has 9.08 cSt. This means that the BMW fluid is in the middle range of a 20W oil, whereas the Pennzoil is on the upper limit of a 20W oil. Considering that the car is almost 20 years old and I'm sure there is some wear on the moving parts in the transmission, a oil that is just a little bit thicker but still within the same SAE number won't hurt anything.

Here are more details about the BMW MTF-LT-1 oil:
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=706459
    Last edited by me77; 06-08-2018 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by me77 View Post
    ... the Pennzoil Synchromesh has 9.08 cSt...
    I was looking for that. Where did you find it?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I was looking for that. Where did you find it?
    Google "pennzoil synchromesh data sheet":
    https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.ne...-US%29_TDS.pdf
    Last edited by me77; 06-08-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123