Thread: E46 rattle noise

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i

E46 rattle noise

I have had this annoying rattle under my car for months and I've posted before and still have not found the issue. The rattle starts when I'm in reverse, and drive at an idle, but once I press the accelerator, it goes away. Until I come to a stop, it returns. It also is aggregated by the A/C, in idle. But it's not a random rattle, it's a constant rattle. It is under the drivers side towards the wheels. It's not the suspension, or inside the engine. I can't pinpoint it. Also when the car is off and I close the door, you can hear that rattle. Almost like its jiggling around? Anyone else had this issue or know of any ideas? *NOT A FAN HITTING, HEAT SHIELDS, BREAKS, OR SUSPENSION* thanks!

My Cars
    318IC 325i 318IS 330cl
    I have the same problem, I've let the car idle and looked around and could not find anything, you right once you step onthe gas it goes away. I have to update my signature currently I drive a e46 330ci
    Last edited by Aokenomon; 10-24-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    AOKENOMON
    E30 E36 E46
    M42 Club member#86

a lust for life

My Cars
    '01 330Ci, '94 YJ,'87 XJ
    A loose pulley?
    You heel-toe, I'll toe-floor.

My Cars
    97 M3, GT1 Corvette
    I have the same rattle, 01 330i. Its a low rpm vibration, I can't find it.
    Paul

01 330i
    #60 GT1 Corvette
    #198 GT3 E30 318is

My Cars
    2003 bmw 325ci
    just a guest but have your center support bearing checked its in the middle of the drive shaft as you drive you can hear it an it gets louder when slowing down

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i (E92)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodycar View Post
    just a guest but have your center support bearing checked its in the middle of the drive shaft as you drive you can hear it an it gets louder when slowing down
    THIS.

That was the case for me on my e30....
    My Previous Vehicle - In the Edmonton/Northern AB Area? We're having a meet... Click Here

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    I had a rattle that drove me nuts for a couple of months, turned out to be the rear shock mounts. Noticed it more going over bumps, but if they were loose enough, they could rattle at idle, and they definitely rattled when the car was off and I slammed the door.

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    automatic or manual?

throwout bearings like to rattle when they start to go bad in the manuals
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    So update from my problem! I was feeling around when the noise was present and when i put pressure on one of the supports, (looks like a big /\ on the bottom), it stopped, it was a loose bolt... Wtf. Ive been looking for this noise for a year..

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330i, '01 525i
    Hey there, I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same issue. Which support are you talking about? along the sides of the car? My mechanic is having me replace my engine and transmission mounts, but i just can't imagine this type of noise come from bad mounts. I mean, it must be some super fast spinning to cause such a high-pitched rapid rattle/screech. It only comes on when in drive or reverse at low speeds. foot on the accelerator and it goes away, just like you described. lol.. Any advice would be tremendously helpful. Please provide clarity on what you mean by "pressure on one of the supports, (looks like a big /\ on the bottom), it stopped, it was a loose bolt."

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Quote Originally Posted by blabbleblah View Post
    Hey there, I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same issue. Which support are you talking about? along the sides of the car? My mechanic is having me replace my engine and transmission mounts, but i just can't imagine this type of noise come from bad mounts. I mean, it must be some super fast spinning to cause such a high-pitched rapid rattle/screech. It only comes on when in drive or reverse at low speeds. foot on the accelerator and it goes away, just like you described. lol.. Any advice would be tremendously helpful. Please provide clarity on what you mean by "pressure on one of the supports, (looks like a big /\ on the bottom), it stopped, it was a loose bolt."
    At idle, place your hands on the wheel. If you can feel a strong vibration chances are it's the motor mounts. I mean excessive than normal vibration. If it's a rattle during a take off (normal or spirited) under the center console and it goes away when the speed increases it's the center support bearing.

My Cars
    00 Bmw 323i

Check your tensioin belt pulleys

Quote Originally Posted by blabbleblah View Post
    I had the same metal sound for years ..but here s my fix Try taking your alternator belt off ...and spin by hand your top and bottom Tension pullys ..if u hear a squeal or it doesnt spin freely replace.....also u have a 3rd tension pulley on right side bottom for AC....But try top ones at alternator first...I just changed both... cause when one go bad....The other is right behind it, and 2 stones is less labor then doing it twice GL
    Last edited by Gold Beemer; 02-24-2019 at 11:45 AM.