Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N54 Exhaust studs on M50?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I might have missed it, but I didn't see the BMW part# in the thread for the copper nuts to go on these studs. So, here it is for posterity:

And here it is at ECS Tuning.

My Cars
    '90 325is '88 M3 '87 iX
    ^ Those are what I'm running with the N54 studs. The N54 nuts (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/18407502196/) look cool, but are more expensive and I really don't think they would fit in some spots, depending on your manifold.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Whoa, good add! I didn't even realize those were intended for exhaust manifold studs... They're expensive AF too. Glad I got the "wrong" ones I guess!!

My Cars
    E36
    So I wanted to bump this since I got N54 studs and M50 nuts, but for some reason I cannot get the stud to thread into the head by hand smoothly. I ran a tap through it and still it doesn't want to turn easily.

Anyone run into this where then studs aren't threading very smoothly?

Appreciate the post! Been reading a lot on here - tons of good info!

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandn3w View Post
    So I wanted to bump this since I got N54 studs and M50 nuts, but for some reason I cannot get the stud to thread into the head by hand smoothly. I ran a tap through it and still it doesn't want to turn easily.

Anyone run into this where then studs aren't threading very smoothly?

Appreciate the post! Been reading a lot on here - tons of good info!
    Are you sure the tap is the right pitch and size?

It should thread in by hand no problem assuming the threads are clean.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Sometimes it can be a pain to get most of the threads engaged. It’s great they have the torx head so you can gently ratchet them in. I think a thread chaser is ok but wound not recommend a tap. You don’t want them to be loose. Beware the N54 studs are short and might not be long enough for thick flanges manifolds (like twinscroll steedspeed).

My Cars
    E36
    Thanks guys. So my "tap" was an old M50 stud I simply cut on 4 sides to make my own tap or thread chaser. Used it to clean the threads in the head, used an old stud to confirm it still was M7x1.0 and then the N54 stud just wouldn't thread.

I even tried a little 50/50 of my acetone/ATF penetrating fluid to make it more slick and it catches still.

I'll try a couple different studs and see what's going on. It seems so simple, ha. Literally pulled the M42 and cannot thread studs, go-figure lol

Edit: Also verified on here and my order form it's the correct Part Number. I also threaded an M7 M50 nut on both sides of the new N54 stud as well by hand and went on great. Go to put it in the head and nope won't turn in.

Appreciate the advice, honestly. Thanks, fellas. I'll mess with it some more this week.
    Last edited by brandn3w; 01-14-2019 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You wrote M42. I have never worked on one so I don’t know the stock thread size for manifold studs but if you are getting an M7x1.0 nut on the stock stud and an N54 stud, they must be the same.

My vague recollection is that N52 not N54 studs were the ones to use on the E36 M5x motors. Maybe N54 is different than N52?

The thread chaser is a better idea than the tap. I used a tap and felt like my studs were loose but they have held so far. I am back to S52 studs due to manifold flange thickness but previously ran the N52 studs.

My Cars
    E36
    I got the PN from this thread and other threads said N54 so I went with it. The nut threads fine so I'm just not getting it aligned to the head or something.

The M42 was what I pulled from it - M50 is getting the new studs. Thanks for the ideas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12