Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: QUESTION: Sub Channel -- high power vs. high current

QUESTION: Sub Channel -- high power vs. high current

I have a soundstream reference 405 amp. I noticed in the back of my amp that I have a switch for the sub channel. It goes either to high power or high current. It says on the amp to only use high current if running under 1ohm. What exactly does that mean and what setting should I use? I am running direct sub outs from my alpine CDA-7969 to the sub in on the amp. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: QUESTION: Sub Channel -- high power vs. high current

Originally posted by Mike88
    I have a soundstream reference 405 amp. I noticed in the back of my amp that I have a switch for the sub channel. It goes either to high power or high current. It says on the amp to only use high current if running under 1ohm. What exactly does that mean and what setting should I use? I am running direct sub outs from my alpine CDA-7969 to the sub in on the amp. Any help would be appreciated.
    It's a switch that enables a different level of load capacity. Don't worry about it. The load is determined by the impedance of the subwoofers, and if you have more than one the load depends on how you connect them. If they are in paralell you can divide the ohm rating of the sub with the number of subs to get the load. If they are in series, you can add the ohm ratings up for total load. Higher number is lower load. For example - you have two 4 ohm subs in paralell it calculates to 4/2=2 ohm load. If the subs are connected to separate outputs on the amp, they are not considered in paralell or series. It's not likely that you'll go below 1ohm load, but you should make sure by calculating it. Do a search on the Internet to educate yourself about this, it's basic knowledge that is crucial for any car audio DIY.

Good luck! Let me know if I can clarify.