Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft upgrade on an M62tu?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post

So this is what I think. What's the big difference between M62TU and S62? Cams vanos on Ex, Intake and breathing, less restrictive exhaust, and displacement.
    I do believe headers would make a lot more difference than cams, then CAT deleteing or increasing ex flow, then displacement, then intake mods (larger runners, less plenum volume, remove burs, port the throttle body, then tunes and ultimately, going standalone.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my next step. I already have a 4.6 shortblock, minor heads cleanup, large runner intake, cat delete, 3.15 diff. And then, purchase a tune or a galleto and brick, burn and ruin it myself
    This does sound like an ideal setup.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    This does sound like an ideal setup.
    I'm really very happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've driven another 540's and they didn't feel the same. All of them being pre-vanos cars... so I can't really compare them, not fair.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    The Alpina B10 V8 & X5 4.6i use the same cams (and basically engines), but you probably already know that. Those cams are different than the cams in the M62b44TU, which is my query and those 4.6/Alpina cams are the ones that I'm trying to find info on. That is the only realistic option for us TU guys as far as I have been able to find. Trying to find some cams made by the big German tuners will be a unicorn, as you cannot buy them from any of the manufacturers.

Try to buy some TU cams from lets say Hartge or Racing Dynamics, they'll tell you to go pound cement. Yes you can buy things from Alpina, but those things are shift knobs, wallets, floor mats, maybe a spoiler - that's about it. Try to buy an extended range Alpina fuel tank or a set of headers, better have that Alpina registration ready (and a fat wallet) before they'll even look at you. Sucks but it's true........

I installed the Supersprint headers made for the 540i/M5 myself. Not hard just really tight in there, but you really do need to have access to a hoist, I'd hate to imagine doing the swap on jackstands while laying on your back. Definite gains to be had and they compliment everything else which I have done. If the price tag doesn't scare you I say go for it, with your 4.6 and a reputable tune your car will become a beast of a N/A 540i.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you install 4.6 cams when you went through all of the trouble of your 4.6 engine build?

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    I used the M62B46 intake.
    Never seen that one. Is it much different from the m62 non tu or m60?

- - - Updated - - -

I just went on eBay and searched "m62b46" to try and find that intake and results appear to show two sets of cams that you may be looking for. Seller has the titled as x5 e39 b10
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteghost1 View Post
    I installed the Supersprint headers made for the 540i/M5 myself. Not hard just really tight in there, but you really do need to have access to a hoist, I'd hate to imagine doing the swap on jackstands while laying on your back. Definite gains to be had and they compliment everything else which I have done. If the price tag doesn't scare you I say go for it, with your 4.6 and a reputable tune your car will become a beast of a N/A 540i.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you install 4.6 cams when you went through all of the trouble of your 4.6 engine build?
    Thanks for the headers info, I'll look into it. For that pricetag I may do a manual swap first, the juicebox is nice but sometimes nice ain't fun
    And I do have the 4.6is cams, I replaced them heads with the b44 heads because I ported the exhaust side and blended a little on the intake as weekend project, and when I got it done I took it to a friend who is an excellent indie (he does BMW, Masserati, Ferrari, Mercedes, Bugati, luckily he's a close friend because I couldn't afford him otherwise) and swapped them. Heads only, all the other parts are the same. Never gave much thought to the fact that 4.6 cams and 4.4 cams were different, if so, there's your cam upgrade OP. Now that you guys mention it has sense... I thought a .200cc displacement change and other minor upgrades were responsable for the huge difference that might be due to the cams alone.
    Here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...g=25&lang=enUS
    cams P/N

Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    Never seen that one. Is it much different from the m62 non tu or m60?
    It's closer to the M62 pre vanos, large cross section, rounded edges but no stacks

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    No stacks? You mean those weird horns on the runners? There was a thread awhile ago about how for some reason the e38 didn't have them either
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    yes no stacks, like the e38 or e39 pre vanos intakes.

link on the ebay cams? I can't find them

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    That's odd when I search "m62b44"on the eBay app for my iPhone I get completely different results than the eBay.com website. The description appears to be in German so you might need to set your settings for worldwide instead of US only.
    when I get home I'll try to figure out how to get the link out of the eBay app because I can't seem to do it on my phone
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Found it on my phone app not on the computer. Thanks! It's Germany as you say.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    I need to price out 4.6is cams again and get an email to Active Autowerke about tuning...

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    z3
    So this thread basically just came full circle...

Cams help my engine?
    Cams dont help your engine
    No, cams DO help your engine
    Cams dont help your engine... oh wait, they do help your engine

And what "horns" are you guys talking about? Anyone got a pic? I am curious if this was the variable length runner setup, serving a function similar to what a DISA valve would do.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Just scored a set of cams out of an Alpina B10 4.6 will profile it and share it here as soon as I receive them. Fwiw no need to tune for running 4.6 on stock 4.4 Vanos 7.X DME
    Diehard E39 driver.

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Just scored a set of cams out of an Alpina B10 4.6 will profile it and share it here as soon as I receive them. Fwiw no need to tune for running 4.6 on stock 4.4 Vanos 7.X DME
    If you don't mind me asking how much were the cams?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    "No need for tune"? It could run OK w the oem tune I suppose, but if its worth doing, its worth tuning for...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    No need for tune as it will deliver good performance without it. Of course, tune wouksnimprove things
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    And I paid about 1200 for them 4 cams
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    And I paid about 1200 for them 4 cams
    BLOODY HELL!

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Good deal I know
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Good deal I know
    Thats less than 1/2 price.
    Will be waiting to see what you can find out on the specs, lift, duration, etc.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Thats less than 1/2 price.
    Will be waiting to see what you can find out on the specs, lift, duration, etc.
    Must also compare it with the stock ones.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Pretty sure I have some of the stock specs.
    I was thinking about checking the lift on my cams before I put the VC'ers back on, just to see if there was any wear.

Edit:
    Intake cams are 236° duration
    Exhaust cams are 228° duration
    Both have 9mm lift
    Haven't checked mine yet.
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-25-2014 at 10:25 AM.

My Cars
    -02 530i
    If you really want the maximum top end power from the M62tu, is there a way to use the 246/242 cams from the M60? Build a hybrid with the B46 bottom and M62nv heads?

http://www.e38.org/e32/M60EngineSpecs.pdf

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Pretty sure I have some of the stock specs.
    I was thinking about checking the lift on my cams before I put the VC'ers back on, just to see if there was any wear.

Edit:
    Intake cams are 236° duration
    Exhaust cams are 228° duration
    Both have 9mm lift
    Haven't checked mine yet.
    Well, that is the best info on the the stock m62tu cam specs that I have been able to find - good stuff!
    But it does leave a lot of questions though:

- presumably that is advertised duration, not at 0.050" (or 0.5mm) lift?
    - is the lift at the cam or at the valve?
    - any IO/IC/EO/EC timing specs?
    - any idea of the lobe center?

I am also in the midst of trying to aquire some Alpina B10/4.6i cams; will definitely get them measured as soon as they are in my hands. Would be interesting to know how they compare. I think the problem is that because there is no known advertised specs for the Alpina B10/4.6i cams, I will get an actual measured spec. This will make it hard to compare the difference to the stock M62tu cam spec, if the only ones we have as reference is advertised values. jicaino's input will also be of great value.
    The plot thickens...........

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    - presumably that is advertised duration, not at 0.050" (or 0.5mm) lift?
    Not sure, there was no mention of the duration at the standard measurement taken at 0.050 lift.
    If the cams weren't in my engine I would be able to measure that.

- is the lift at the cam or at the valve?
    probably the cam lobe, however the valve should be close if the lifters done compress much.

- any IO/IC/EO/EC timing specs?
    No, that would probably be too difficult for me to measure with the cams in the engine, especially on a vanos motor.

- any idea of the lobe center?
    Lobe separation angle, No
    I might be able to take an approximate measurement, maybe.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    ^ the best info on stock M62B44TU indeed. From the specs on other M60/2 cams (pre vanos engines) I'd say that those figures explain how a 290hp engine kept making 290hp after VANOS were fitted.

we're in the fringes of a berakthru

Anyway, the first thing to do to unleash the power on M6244TU is remove/replace the restrictive intake, then move on to improve exhaust flow somehow (deCATing if possible)

Then a good "recipe" tune, then maybe cams and other stuff that goes with it (like cleaning up the heads, pocket port the exhaust and blend a little the CNC part with the cast part in the intake part, without going ballistic) and a tailored tune. (Of course I'd try to flash a 4.6is file on the stock 4.4 vanos DME first... I'll try that as soon as I have it figured out)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast