Thread: fan clutch trick + water pump install/fan delete impressions (long)

My Cars
    '94 325i 'vert

fan clutch trick + water pump install/fan delete impressions (long)

Hey guys just did my fan delete/waterpump change over the weekend. I actually only needed to change the pump, but figured I might as well do the fan delete since I was doing it anyway.

Anyhow, I spent MOST of the time just trying to get the fan off. I really envy those of you that were able to take it off so easy. I broke 1 screwdriver, an allen wrench, and bent several more (craftsman btw). Anyhow, after spending 5+ hours over a period of two days, I was getting really frustrated that I couldnt even finish the first step. Trust me, I tried every "trick" I could find up here using the search function. It didn't help that I had already drained the system. lol

Well this is what I did instead...while I was pondering hacksawing the nut off, someone recommended using a chisel to break loose the screw. So, I filled and rebled the system, and dropped by a mechanic- using the IMPACT CHISEL, on a side of the bolt - it broke LOOSE in about 2 seconds. I cannot even begin to express to joy I felt when I saw that- after hours of fruitless labor

well to sum it up, I found removing the fan and draining the coolant from the engine block the hardest to do. Since I don't have a lift, my measly rhino ramps had to suffice.
    After taking the fan off, the thermostat and water pump removal/installation was a JOKE. Incredibly easy, and this was my first time. : I think I spent more time just rechecking my bentley manual and other web directions just to make sure I was doing everything right (went almost too smoothly)

I do have one question though..,the reason why the engine block plug took so long to find was that I have a cover installed where my x-brace is supposed to be..I think (94 325i 'vert). It covers the oil pan, and mounts with 4 bolts in the same location as the x-brace, at least from pictures I've seen. Is this normal...?

FAN DELETE IMPRESSIONS
    OK, well after I got everything back together, and bled the system - of course I took it for a test drive.
    From the butt dyno, the car seemed a lot happier...just seemed a little bit stronger. IMHO, this was more pronounced at higher RPMs...but ehhh who knows.
    Its entirely possible that a weekend out of my car just made it feel faster though. I DEFINITELY like the extra space in the engine bay w/ the easy access to belts and whatnot.
    Well, I got the car up to operating temp and let it idle for around 20-25 mins, with the occasional throttle as I was just checking everything out at the gas station. The needle didn't budge, and the aux fan kicked on a few times. All in all, I'd say a worthwhile "mod" to do, as long as you're planning to change your thermostat/waterpump anyway.
    '94 325i convertible
    - basic mods

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnano

IMHO, this was more pronounced at higher RPMs...
    I think that the fan doesn't turn at higher RPMs unless you have a broken fan clutch so that the FAN MOD makes no difference at high RPMs. Theoretically it should free up a few horsepowers at lower RPMs where the fan clutch used to kick in.

I did it last month but I didn't even feel it. And I spent $80 plus that now I'm worried about my engine. I don't think this is a good mod personally though I brag to my friends about it. I did it 'cause I accidentally broke the fan blades while taking it out.

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    from the responses I have seen on the forum, everyone seems to agree that the fan delete is worth while...I my self am going to do this mod, but after I install a new zionsville alloy radiator and replace the water pump( just to be on the safe side) and install the 80c thermostat and 80/88c fan switch....I don't like having plastic on my radiator although I'm sure its fine since BMW keeps doing it....I just need to have the piece of mind that the upper radiator neck won't bust on me again...
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.

My Cars
    '94 325i 'vert
    lol...yea I don't know - I think my fan clutch is broken. A while ago a mechanic pointed out to me that the fan could be stopped by hand while the car was running. Is that normal?
    With the (then) new aftermarket WP and thermostat, never had problems overheating anyway. It was during the cold season though.

I guess only time will show the reliability of the mod for me, but then again I can always reinstall the fan.
    '94 325i convertible
    - basic mods

My Cars
    96 328i
    When I did my fan delete my dad was there to help. I tryed my hardest to get that damn nut off, he just sat there watching. After I gave, up he walked up to the car, put the 32mm wrench on the nut and gave the wrench a quick smack with a hammer..... done!! : He didn't even bother trying to hold the fan in place (screwdriver method). For anyone trying to do the fan delete give this a try, it worked real well!!

The hardest part of the job was trying to find that huge ass wrench.

For Sale- Infinity Basslink 2

My Cars
    BMW e36 320i
    does the aux fan turn on allot? i have NEVER seen mine spin... never in the whole time i worked and drove my car have i seen that fan spin
    sorry to highjack but... do i need help?
    Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
    -Projecttechnik.com

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Yep, my aux fan turns on a lot. Everytime I have got off the car after a little trip without turning the engine off, the aux fan was on.

Have you installed the 80/88c aux fan switch in the radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    BMW e36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    Yep, my aux fan turns on a lot. Everytime I have got off the car after a little trip without turning the engine off, the aux fan was on.

Have you installed the 80/88c aux fan switch in the radiator?
    whats that? where is it?
    Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
    -Projecttechnik.com

My Cars
    '94 325i 'vert
    yea check your switch and the wires...its on the left side of the radiator, near the top when you're facing the car
    '94 325i convertible
    - basic mods

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    quick question about the aux fan....that aids in cooling the engine right? because mine came off the shaft (the c-clip came off) and I noticed that the temp went up to almost the 3/4 notch then I turned the heater on and it went down to normal....I put it back on and it seems to be fine now...that wasn't the first time that damn fan came off the shaft.....does anyone know a quick fix for keeping that damn thing on?
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.