Thread: crank position sensor replacment m50

My Cars
    91 525i 94 530i 60 chevy

crank position sensor replacment m50

I had a no start problem a week ago. Seems it was a bad MAF. I had bought a new crank position sensor thinking it was the problem. Today I was going to swap it out just for good measures. My Bentleys was no help. Un plug remove replace.
    I located the sensor it is under one of the radiator hoses. Do I have to remove the hose, or is there an easier way to replace it? Also were is the connector for the plug?
    I did a search but only found the "Real OEM" diagram.
    Can someone PLEASE snap a picture of the CPS and the location of its connector.
    1991 525I M50 non vanos
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    E34 525i
    I did mine with the rad, fan and shroud mounted. It was a pita. The best way to find the connector is to follow the wire. It tucks behind a plastic piece over the t stat housing, then goes under the vanos solenoid and oil line, then ends up by the idle control valve

My Cars
    1992 535i (Euro) 5 Speed
    I'm currently replacing the one for my car. If it's anything like the M30, which I believe it's simular, I just took the airbox out to give me more room, I think on the m50 the washer fluid resivior is where my airbox is. I pushed the rad hose to the side and unbolted the CPS with a #5 allen key (I believe) from the mount and unplugged it from the top and pulled it out. You might need to take your fan out to make room. Once you see the sensor just follow the wire up to see where its connected. took me all of 6 minutes.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/att...ank-sensor.jpg
    Yellow arrow is the sensor on its aluminum mount.

My Cars
    91 525i 94 530i 60 chevy
    Thanks guys. I found it, That plastic piece over the t stat housing was throwing me off , I thought it was a sensor too. Thanks again for the tips and the picture

My Cars
    are rusting away
    Good luck. If it's been there since the dawn of time, it's going to be a PITA to remove it.
    Live slow, die whenever

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    Easy to replace if you remove the intake manifold.

My Cars
    2000 Silverado
    You can trace the wire back.... just unbolt the two 10mm nuts holding the wire cover over the T-stat to get some wiggle room.
    SOLD: '92 525i/5spd/S52B32

My Cars
    '92 525i '85 300D
    On my E34 M50 1992 removed the coolant hose at the thermostat housing. Removed the crank sensor, removed the plastic shield around the sensor harness, followed it down to the connector by the IAC motor.
    The real question I have is setting the air gap, should be 1mm give or take .3mm How have others handled this?