Thread: 2003 540i SES Light / Codes

My Cars
    2003 540i

2003 540i SES Light / Codes

Bought my car in Utah and drove it back to Texas, once I was in Texas and down to a normal elevation, my SES light came on. Went by Autozone and got my codes pulled: 2271, 1168.

From what I can figure, 2271 is downstream o2 sensor on bank 1, 1168 I'm getting conflicting information for. So here's my question-

What are the odds I'm getting the 1168 as a result of the bad o2 sensor? My guess is the o2 sensors are 10 years old at this point either way, and the fact the car spent 10 years in the mountains and all of the sudden the computer is getting A:F readings at 500ft above sea-level as opposed to about 6000ft above. The best thing I can figure is replace the o2 sensor and go from there, but does anyone have any other ideas / experiences with the same codes?

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Perhaps the ccv may need replacment, I'm going to do mine this weekend and report my findings. The ccv will give both banks running lean codes. Does your car drive odd in any way at idle, take of, certain rpm range ?

My Cars
    2003 540i
    I'm getting rich codes, and I'd guess it's running rich. I can't see any smoke driving, going to get a friend to ride behind me tonight to verify. Biggest clue to me was fuel consumption. I went from 28mpg down to about 24 within a 250 mile span.

The idle is a tad wacky, but it's not seeking or anything. Maybe 100-150rpm fluctuation. Little bit of hesitation from normal throttle to wide open. No dead spots that I can really discern in the powerband. Take off is a bit lumpy, as if I didn't give it enough throttle to take off, but as soon as the clutch is out, it doesn't stumble or anything.

My Cars
    2002 540i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cainesav View Post
    I'm getting rich codes, and I'd guess it's running rich. I can't see any smoke driving, going to get a friend to ride behind me tonight to verify. Biggest clue to me was fuel consumption. I went from 28mpg down to about 24 within a 250 mile span. The idle is a tad wacky, but it's not seeking or anything. Maybe 100-150rpm fluctuation. Little bit of hesitation from normal throttle to wide open. No dead spots that I can really discern in the powerband. Take off is a bit lumpy, as if I didn't give it enough throttle to take off, but as soon as the clutch is out, it doesn't stumble or anything.
    I was running rich due to a stuck open thermostat. That might of showed up on the scan tho.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Quote Originally Posted by 54zero View Post
    I was running rich due to a stuck open thermostat. That might of showed up on the scan tho.
    A stuck open thermo can make you run rich? Interesting...

OP: Maybe just wait a bit and drive around. Give the computer a chance to acclimate to the new elevation.

My Cars
    2003 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
    A stuck open thermo can make you run rich? Interesting...

OP: Maybe just wait a bit and drive around. Give the computer a chance to acclimate to the new elevation.
    That's the plan currently since the car really isn't running all that poorly. No real smoke under WOT, either.

Worst comes to worst, I'm out like $200 to do all 4 sensors. I'm just not sure about the 1168, but the more I read, the more it seems related to the o2 sensor code, and not a separate issue.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 525i
    Give it time. I once took a saturn up to colorado from houston. Thing drove like crap as soon as we got to denver. A few days later and all was fine. The cpu has to figure out the new fuel/air ratio.