Thread: Radio amp pin outs

My Cars
    1989 735il/94Cvt/99tour

Radio amp pin outs

99 touring Amp 993-558-105 / 62-11 1 390 331
    I found the amp corroded cleaned as well as possible it is intermittent and want to check the input and output. I have a scope and wanted to check to make sure the signals are getting to the amp the voltage is there. Any one have pin outs or even better an amp to replace this if it is bad?
    If I go aftermarket will all the functions work with the original head? Looking for recommendations on an aftermarket and adaptors to get this done.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry wrong number should be 8362174. Lowe high
    99 wagon
    1989 735il, 94 325ic,99 Touring Wagon.

My Cars
    E39it, 03 M5, F10 535
    I think these pics should help you out a little. Pics are from a post here in the forums and have helped me installing aftermarket amps and speakers on 3 different models. (00' 528 touring, 01' 530, 03' 530) All these vehicles are non-dsp and wiring where all very similar.

Hope this helps.
    E39 M5, E39 SC Touring, F10
    "Beating My Wallet" but loving it!

My Cars
    1989 735il/94Cvt/99tour
    Thanks very much this is exactly what I needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming I cannot find a cost effective replacement if I wire in an aftermarket amp what would you recommend will the head functions remain the same? I have not driven the car yet still getting repaired , but did notice the usual no AM reception as in most BMW'S. Is there a solution to this such as an inline amplifier or a mod for the window mount amplifier?
    thanks

My Cars
    E39it, 03 M5, F10 535
    Yes you can install aftermarket amps. Just use the out put wires that go to the speakers and connect them to the amp. Head functions should remain the same. I can't comment regarding boosting the AM signals though as I never have had to replace that unit nor do I listen to AM that much.
    E39 M5, E39 SC Touring, F10
    "Beating My Wallet" but loving it!

My Cars
    1989 735il/94Cvt/99tour
    I took apart my amp again, this time moved back the driver transistors to remove the front section with heat sinks. I found more corrosion cleaned and it seems to be working for now.
    When I touch the antenna feed the AM works so I hooked up a wire to the antenna feed cable ran it into the headliner now I have AM go figure. Both my other BMW'S have the same issue, I put an inline antenna amp in my wife's 94 Convertible seemed to make a difference.

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Hello, reviving this thread after years, as it seems to be the most related to my need. I am planning to install an aftermarket amp and replace all the speakers but retain the factory harness.
    My setup is: '01 530i EU, 16:9 OEM Navi, Hi-Fi audio no dsp, TV, Phone, CDC

Is is safe to assume that all connections from the trunk go to the speakers directly without passing any filters for the mid and high speakers or they are filtered from the woofers?

Also is there a place where I can find the X605 and X606 amp-side plugs in order to create my harness for the custom amp (Audison Ap8.9F)?

Thank you!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Babla,

I know we've messaged briefly on M5 board !

If your car has NOT got DSP, then the output from the amplifier is a full range signal and to the front, there's just the basic method of a capacitor inline to the tweeter that blocks off lower frequencies from reach them. Your car also won't be equipped with a mid range driver in the front door air vents (it's be blank). As you've posted this in the Touring section, then the roof speakers are not worth upgrading as they're in a terrible position where they fire straight down to the boot floor, plus, the space once OEM speakers removed is tiny and not many aftermarket speakers will fit. I wouldn't waste time there.

If you wish to retain all the OEM audio modules and add an amplifier, then is this the Audison amplifier you mean ? - https://www.audison.eu/products/ap-f8-9-bit/

If so, this is a higher end amplifier, capable of some excellent results when similarly excellent performing speakers are used and especially when they're mounted in custom door builds. If you are planning for this level of performance upgrade, choose your speakers wisely and after some good consideration for how you like your music reproduced and the main genre's of music you listen to. Some pictures of what I mean are below. This E39 sounded absolutely sublime! Audison Amplifier and Processor, with Audison 3 way components in custom Fibreglass builds to fit into the existing door cards, a modified air vent area for the mid range speaker as well. The Sound quality performance with this setup was exquisite, stunning imaging, and a lovely wide soundstage too. The head unit was an Alpine one with excellent SQ built in and controls as well - nothing OEM in this car! when the owner decided to sell, I snapped his arm off to get the front door cards (minus the speakers) so they're sitting in my goodies storage ready for when I go for a similar level of SQ.

I'd suggest carefully cutting the harness so the Audison speaker in wire can be connected to the correct OEM wires. Later if you decide to remove, carefully solder back the existing connector once you perhaps extend the wires a little bit too.

The Audison AP8.9F will perhaps have some unused channels if you don't connect anything to the rear roof speakers though. If you do find some good speakers to put there anyway, I'd suggest keeping the gain level quite low as there's literally no benefit from having them working in a more SQ focused install that you might be wanting.

If your requirements for SQ and audio performance aren't quite at this level, I'd suggest getting a more modest amplifier, perhaps a 3 channel one so you can power the front component speakers and a single mono sub bass channel for the subwoofer upgrade you'll also be doing.. you are adding a subwoofer as well, right?!

Cheers,Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 07-10-2022 at 05:19 PM.