Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Supercharger kits

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    You paid for something on ebay and you wont see it until after the dispute period is over for paypal, because he has to make it?

How does this not raise every possible red flag for you?
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet429 View Post
    A level 10 trans was mentioned. I didn't know they did ZF transmissions, but it can definitely vouch for the strength of the Ford Units they build. I've had Fords pushing over 600 hp backed up by a level 10 trans and they held up to multiple seasons at the drag strip. Of course the Ford units were nowhere near the $7000 price tag of the ZF units though and in these cars I would rather do a 6 speed conversion.
    Level 10 BMW transmission $5000

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    I asked for the installation instructions, but he said he had an issue where someone had stolen his plans and then copied his system. He only finally sent me the instructions after I negotiated a price and paid for his system. He said it'll take about a month to get made and shipped, so I've got more time to keep doing research. I've got the instruction in my email via a Word document, but like all other conversations with him, it's a very poor German to English translation via Google Translate. Anyone w/ suggestions as to where I can post the instructions and then be able to link onto forums for free for everyones review?
    m5james sent me the doc and i converted it to pdf and put it up here:Eaton M112 Supercharger for BMW M62TUB44

My Cars
    Suck
    wow. just... wow.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Mind you these instructions contain old pics (you can see newer tubing and other design changes on current eBay adds) and is a VERY poor German to English translation, here are the installation instructions - http://static.daom.nl/e38_eaton112compressor.pdf I'v asked him for the German version to which I'll post also, then I'll have a friend translate it for me in person and see if we can post something more easily understood. Once my friend and I do the install, I fully intend to document EVERYTHING and see about even re-writing the instructions for this guy.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    PERFORMANCE:JB4 w/ meth, stage 2 tune, wrapped downpipes, custom intake
    INTERIOR:AVIN 10.25" screen, Blackvue 550 dashcam, 7" tablet for JB4 logging
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci
    PERFORMANCE:Single mass flywheel, ///M3 clutch
    EXTERIOR:Z4///M staggered 18's, rolled fenders, tinted markers

My Cars
    Suck
    James, I really, REALLY, ***REALLY*** hope you know what you're doing, because it sure looks like one of those times that everybody but you will be equipped to say "I told you so."

I would much rather see a blown e38 than your blown wallet man.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    wow. just... wow.
    Which means....

I had my buddy go over the instructions who's going to help me, who just removed a VF kit from an E39 540i...he saw these instructions, and besides the translation, some of the stuff he saw didn't shock him. There was a lot of random copper line usage that has been reduced through design changes (as I said before, his instructions use older design pics), but I'm sure there are still improvements that my friend and I will be doing.

- - - Updated - - -

James, I really, REALLY, ***REALLY*** hope you know what you're doing, because it sure looks like one of those times that everybody but you will be equipped to say "I told you so."

I would much rather see a blown e38 than your blown wallet man.
    I agree some of the stuff he's done is interesting to say the least, but once again...a lot has changed, which you can see in his most recent eBay pics. I've done the same SC removal/installation on my truck, so I've got an eye on things that I'm going to change to improve the system. If all else fails, eBay and PayPal have me covered for 3 months since it's an overseas transaction.
    Last edited by m5james; 02-19-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    m5james, I truly wish you the best of luck. I love seeing people doing things that are original and think outside the box. With that being said though, I would get my money back if at all possible. That adapter plate alone scares the crap out of me, that is going to be a HUGE source of air leaks. I can see you spending A LOT of money to get that "kit" to function even halfway decent.

And that kit is the exact reason it's taking me so long to get something together for the GM supercharger and why it can't be done for $2500. I refuse to cobble something together like that. I wish you the best of luck my friend. If you have any tuning needs, I can put you in contact with Frank as he can now do remote tuning via the internet.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    oof. really interested to see the instructions, but I am not excited about what I see. that adapter / mounting plate looks so flimsy as pointed out... an open BOV is not really encouraging, and we knew about the "FMU" rising rate but doesn't help to see it installed. i fear a million hours of trying to sort out CEL's and impossible OBD etc.

like everybody else I'm on-board in spirit and would love to hear that it works but not feeling optimistic...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    Suck
    I just looked at the "instructions" again, and I'm... well I'm baffled. The copper piping is a little whoa, but ...

Is he sealing the blower to the head with rtv? I don't see gaskets in any pictures, and I don't see it in any steps...

My Cars
    '97 740iL, '97 540i
    wow. just... wow.
    exactly..... I'd go VF 4 sure

My Cars
    LS E46
    Residential copper plumbing does not belong under the hood of a car.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    True. You should always go w/ PVC instead.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 740il
    all that kit needs is other replacement parts to make it better, I would buy charger and other parts separately on ebay and piece it together. manifold adapter will have to be done by some shop.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedbimmer View Post
    all that kit needs is other replacement parts to make it better, I would buy charger and other parts separately on ebay and piece it together. manifold adapter will have to be done by some shop.
    That kit needs waaaaay more than some replacement parts to make it better. Having the manifold adapter done by some other shop defeats the point of buying a kit. If he goes through all the trouble you suggested, he might as well start from scratch with a better blower to begin with.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    If i read zedbimmer right what he means is the core concept is a good one if you were to do it all yourself, sourcing the blower and doing all the rest to a way better standard then that blower and geometry setup isnt bad idea. I didnt think he meant buy that kit then go redo all the parts... The point about what blower to start with if you do that is not a bad one though.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    BTW the seller dude seems to continue his improvement cycles, now has a "stage 6" which appears to be mostly a continuation of tidying up the cosmetics and now means there's a plastic cover that says "V8 supercharged" on it. Who knows, maybe he's incrementally replacing the copper pipes and hardware store parts as well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharger...E:B:SS:US:3160
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    LS E46
    Stage 6 eh? As if calling things *stages* wasn't bad enough, now people don't even know the difference between *version* and *stage* is.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Stage 6 eh? As if calling things *stages* wasn't bad enough, now people don't even know the difference between *version* and *stage* is.
    exactly freakin' right. I could not agree more entirely with every single word.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 740il
    He is German, best translation he could come up with motor vehicle wise.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Naturally he comes out w/ a Stage 6 after the fact - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharger...ht_1663wt_1362

Stage 2 (the one I got w/ stock Jaguar XJR intake runners w/ integrated intercoolers) is supposed to be more bottom end power.
    Stage 4 (his custom made inlet w/ a funny plate mounted on top w/ a ton of bolts) is supposed to be more top end power.
    Stage 6 (a completely redesigned engine cover w/ the inlet intergrated into it, but still has that plate mounted atop the S/C), but looks like it wouldn't fit the X5 since my stock engine cover is shorter depth wise based on his pictures show, so maybe it something I couldn't use regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked at the "instructions" again, and I'm... well I'm baffled. The copper piping is a little whoa, but ...

Is he sealing the blower to the head with rtv? I don't see gaskets in any pictures, and I don't see it in any steps...
    I'm sure I annoy the shit out of him, but I email him constantly asking questions, getting updates as to the progress of mine, etc and he's told me there are many changes from the instructions he's sent me. He's making changes and said he'll be sending me something on Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
    exactly..... I'd go VF 4 sure
    That's easy though. I accept that his kit needs work, but having a truck that came stock w/ the same Eaton M112 (different case design, same guts) and knowing how different the powerband is, I'm only going this route because it's a roots vs a centrifugal.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, and as I've said before, he's changed that out. Whatever doesn't look nice to my liking afterwards will be changed out for good ol' braided lines just like I'm doing to the intercooler lines on my Harley F150.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    True. You should always go w/ PVC instead.

I've seen writeups on these subforums of people using PVC to make intakes for our cars. It works, just not pretty.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at used SC's online and considered going that route, but honestly I wouldn't even know where to start. Sure, I've removed and installed the SC from my truck, upgraded from the Eaton M112 to a Kenne Bell 2.3, etc but I've got a wealth of information on my Lightning/Harley forums to chose from, so I'm not going to be rewriting the book. Between the fact that I work 75+hrs for the most part at Boeing, lacking knowledge of finding a shop to design the adapter plates for me, designing everything else, etc...I simply don't have the time. I do know what that SC is capable of from firsthand experience, I've got a few friends w/ more knowledge than I and we'll fix/improve things as I go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrabMafia View Post
    That kit needs waaaaay more than some replacement parts to make it better. Having the manifold adapter done by some other shop defeats the point of buying a kit. If he goes through all the trouble you suggested, he might as well start from scratch with a better blower to begin with.
    Agreed. At this point, he's done about 90% of the work for me, leaving me to finish up last minute details to my liking.

- - - Updated - - -

He is German, best translation he could come up with motor vehicle wise.
    You should see the emails I exchange with him...I don't know if he's speaking enthusiastically w/ his replies or it's sheer bad translation, but that's why I keep emailing him so I can get clarification of what he's implying. I like to think I'm pretty good at using words properly, but sometimes I feel like I need to dumb down my words to make things easier.

- - - Updated - - -

You paid for something on ebay and you wont see it until after the dispute period is over for paypal, because he has to make it?

How does this not raise every possible red flag for you?
    Since it's an international transaction, PayPal actually give me 180 days to dispute it. The seller said it takes about 30 days to have the kit made and shipped to my door, so I'll still have ample time to address things if I need to. If push comes to shove and I waste $200 in shipping charges, so be it...but if it pans out to be a good kit initially and then a great kit after some design tweaks, I'll be ok w/ that vs being lazy and going to centrifugal route that's already been taken.
    Last edited by m5james; 03-01-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    '97 740iL, '97 540i
    are you sure that's a real eaton M112 supercharger? the casting is totally different.

for realistic boost on a M62, I don't think you'll find any difference with roots vs centrifugal. his claimed hp is about same as VF kit. with the recent sale, the VF kit was $780 more. why wouldn't you just jump on a proven setup??? at best the performance is the same, reliability will be a nightmare, resale value nill.

at best you'll waste a bunch of time, get lots of headaches, and maybe get your money back. this is all risk and no gain.
    Last edited by maddoggyusa; 03-01-2014 at 11:00 PM.

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
    are you sure that's a real eaton M112 supercharger? the casting is totally different.

for realistic boost on a M62, I don't think you'll find any difference with roots vs centrifugal. his claimed hp is about same as VF kit.

The psi will be the same, and even the total cfm at that psi will probably be similar, but the roots blower should hit full boost significantly sooner than the cf. The cf will make peak psi at higher rpm. Yes, it will still be making boost before the nosebleed section of the tach, but not on the same scale as the roots.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    Stage 2 (the one I got w/ stock Jaguar XJR intake runners w/ integrated intercoolers) is supposed to be more bottom end power.
    Stage 4 (his custom made inlet w/ a funny plate mounted on top w/ a ton of bolts) is supposed to be more top end power.
    Stage 6 (a completely redesigned engine cover w/ the inlet intergrated into it, but still has that plate mounted atop the S/C), but looks like it wouldn't fit the X5 since my stock engine cover is shorter depth wise based on his pictures show, so maybe it something I couldn't use regardless.
    Why are you putting forth so much effort vouching for this guy?

My Cars
    Suck
    Why are you putting forth so much effort vouching for this guy?
    He's invested in it now. It sure wouldn't do anyone any good if he knocked him around.

My Cars
    LS E46
    That's an answer to a question I didn't ask. All I can make of this is he's desperately trying to justify wasting $5,000 on an inferior item by trying to con us into buying one.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast