Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stainless clutch line?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by gomanual View Post
    I bought and installed the Ireland Engineering stainless clutch line and have had zero problems with it. My car had a squishy old rubber line that worked fine cold but shifts became increasingly difficult as the car warmed up, especially if I had to sit in traffic. I decided to roll the dice on bleeding it with my pressure bleeder and a helper instead of removing the slave - it's been working great since then with zero mushiness.
    So what was your exact procedure?

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Sorry Goodridge G-stop SS brake lines and IE for SS clutch line

My Cars
    99 M Roadster
    Full disclosure, my plan was half baked from the get-go, so your mileage may vary.

The car was sitting level on jack stands. I removed the old line and installed the new one without any special attention paid to keeping air out of the slave cylinder. I hooked up the pressure bleeder to the reservoir and huffed it up per the manual (maybe 15 psi? I don't remember exactly) and installed my wife in the driver seat. Then I crawled under the car and basically bled the line using the two person method you would use for brakes.

Now, this isn't a brake line of course so there were some differences. She's push down the pedal, I'd open the bleeder, and the pressure plate would retract the slave piston by spring force. Some fluid would squirt out, then I'd close the bleeder. She then had to gently lift the pedal back up to the top of it's stroke - it didn't want come back up by itself. We did that several times until I didn't see any bubbles in the discharge. That was it!

It worked out okay for me, but I don't think it would have without the pressure bleeder. I did it this way because I figured that worst case scenario it would only cost me the fifteen minutes or so that it took to try it. If the pedal feel hadn't been solid at that point I would've pulled the slave and manually retracted it per the Bentley manual.

-Dan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234