Thread: '87 US to euro bumper conversion

My Cars
    '87 e24

'87 US to euro bumper conversion

I've searched and seen most (all) the topics covering the conversions but can't find any info as to what brackets are needed to mount the euro front and rear bumpers. I've removed the stock bumpers and just need to figure this out.
    im sure I can have some mounts fabricated but if there are genuine bmw parts that work, it would make life a lot easier.
    any pics or info would be much appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

My Cars
    86 635CSi
    Euro or world bumpers? Most 87's came with world bumpers I believe.

Im sure you know that the small chrome euro rear requires a new rear panel welded in...

You may want to try realoem for bracket part numbers.
    FlickR

Resident naval gazing q-tip wielding concours pu....

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    I made the conversion a few years ago on my '85. The front is relatively easy but I had my '83 euro as a donor car. As Big Six mentions the rear takes some fabrication. You'll need the under bumper sheet metal welded on, and some sheet metal carefully cut off. This sheet metal is very hard to find. All the parts are very expensive new. The front is made up of three steel bumper sections covered with chrome trim, plus end caps, 3-piece rubber rub strips, bumper specific bolts and a flexible euro specific spoiler. In addition there are mounting brackets for the bumper and fog lights. The rear bumper is made-up of a chrome plated 3-piece unit with a single rubber wrap-around strip, bumper mounts and various bolts and trim pieces. If you were to buy most of the parts new my guess is that you'd be well into the $3K zone. I've included a couple of shots of my car both before and after. If you decide to go ahead, let me know and I can offer you some help. My recommendation is to go with world bumpers from the 88/89 model.

My Cars
    '87 e24
    I knew the rear was going to be more work but thought there was a way to mount it up with out the weld-in euro specific panel. The front looks a little more manageable but i guess I will have to locate the rear panel to make the install look cleaner and the process a little "easier"
    i will look on realoem for the panel part#.
    thanks for all the info. I will post up pics when I'm done...it will take me some time.
    I've had the euro bumpers sitting in my storage shed for years. Probably would have easier to do the world bumpers but I'm working with what I already have. That, and I kinda like the look of the euro chrome setup.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Another way to get past the rear lower valance issue is to use the euro OEM M-Tech lower valance. This way it just bolts up to the bumper and cover the missing body part. Much easier installation. Another point; when you remove the rear US bumper and rubber surrounds, you'll have to fill the bolt holes in the quarter panels and then paint the quarter panels.

My Cars
    81 RHD 635, 85 M635csi
    If it is part # 13, I have the part and can send you some pictures.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=41&fg=25

My Cars
    E24,E30,E31,E34,E39,E46
    When I changed from US bumpers to late euro bumpers, used the lower valance from the rear US bumper and welded it into place on the car under the euro bumper.

Some minor trimming and "massaging" was necessary, but nothing major. It fit up nicely with a minimum of work.

My Cars
    '87 e24
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally6 View Post
    If it is part # 13, I have the part and can send you some pictures.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=41&fg=25
    I believe that's the piece needed for the conversion. How much with shipping to San Francisco, CA 94116? I may be interested if I can't get the existing parts to work together.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieman View Post
    When I changed from US bumpers to late euro bumpers, used the lower valance from the rear US bumper and welded it into place on the car under the euro bumper.

Some minor trimming and "massaging" was necessary, but nothing major. It fit up nicely with a minimum of work.

Any pics or tips of how it worked out for you?

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Part #13 is NOT the part you need. Part #13 is the panel above the bumper, you need what's below the bumper.

My Cars
    '87 e24
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoBunster View Post
    Part #13 is NOT the part you need. Part #13 is the panel above the bumper, you need what's below the bumper.
    good thing you pointed that out because I thought #13 was the part, hahaha.
    Thank you.

My Cars
    87 L6, '11 Golf TDI
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairieman View Post

Please post up some pics. Interested to see this as well.

Ol Dirty Bastard - Build Thread

My Cars
    '83 E24-'89 C124-'07 P2
    I always like to throw out this alternative... The euro bumpers from pre'83 cars - the E12 chassis cars - are much easier to adapt to U.S. market cars. The downside is the rear bumper isn't as slim and clean looking as the later bumpers.

I did this to my '83, this side shot right after they were installed really show what's left after you've removed the original bumpers.

From the back the bumper looks very similar to the U.S. version, and fits directly with some minor cutting and drilling, but it's much slimmer and closer to the body.

'83 633CSI manual balticblau/perlbeige
    '89 Mercedes 300CE diamintblau/mondria
    ’94 Mercedes E320 Coupe Schwarz/Palomino
    '07 Volvo S60 2.5T vide grön/beige

My Cars
    1985 bmw 635csi
    Do you know where I can find euro bumpers front and rear for a 1985 635csi

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Best to check out the usual suspects...eBay, western parts yards, etc. The Euro bumpers are a difficult and expensive proposition these days, quite rare to be offered as a complete set. Here'e one out in eastern PA for less than $2K, local pickup only. It's the early version though, it'd need some significant work to fit.

I'd personally recommend keeping the diving boards, but the late model "world bumpers" are an excellent choice. See above.
    Save the manuals!
    '08 128i 6MT, '86 635CSi 5MT (B32, Motronic 1.3, WBO2, G265, 18# FW, 3.46 torsen)
    Past projects:
    '96 318iS, sold 4/23 '90 535iM, RIP 1/23 '90 535iA RIP 6/22 '91 318i, sold 7/19 '97 M3 sedan, sold 11/18 '85 735i, RIP 2/18 '92 325iC, sold 7/16 '91 318iS, sold 6/16 '84 745i, sold 10/14 '82 633CSi, traded 9/12 '90 325i, RIP '87 325 sold '89 525i, traded '87 325iS, RIP