Thread: What gasket sealer do you use ?

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Post What gasket sealer do you use ?

Oil pan , Timing Case Covers, Water Pump Gasket, Oil Filter Holder,Valve Cover(if any) Distributor gasket

Dirko(Elring) Hi Temp 300 C
    Curil T
    Hylomar
    Permatex 2
    Permatex RTV
    Other

320iAman

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 08-29-2013 at 01:52 PM.

My Cars
    73' tii 79 320i 73'2002
    Water pump gasket, use high-temp RTV. all others, use oil resistant RTV. I don't recommend using any on the valve cover since it will destroy the gasket if you take it off.

My Cars
    1983 320i + 2014 M235i
    Randy,

For thetiming case covers and the oil pan, the factory shop manual specifies Atmosit or Curil K2. I used the Curil K2 on both sides of the gaskets and it has sealed well and stayed pliable for years. It's messy to apply, but easy to clean up. Curil T is rated for higher temperature (250 degrees C.) and comes in a 75ml tube, while Curil K2 comes in a 125ml plastic bottle with an applicator.

There's still plenty left in my 125ml bottle, so if I were doing it again, I think I'd go with the Curil T for the higher temp rating, lower cost, and it's probably a little easier to apply.

-John

I agree with Trevor about not using anything on the valve cover gasket. As long as you replace it regularly and it keeps it's resiliency, it shouldn't leak.
    Last edited by dumbclub; 08-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    I use Indian Head Gasket Shellac. Permatex makes one too, also called gasket shellac. I won't use silicone at all.

My Cars
    E90- Prev(E21s,E30s,E28)
    The water pump needs gasket sealer?
    It came with the gasket...
    2011-E90 328i 6 speed manual.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Quote Originally Posted by dumbclub View Post
    Randy,

For thetiming case covers and the oil pan, the factory shop manual specifies Atmosit or Curil K2. I used the Curil K2 on both sides of the gaskets and it has sealed well and stayed pliable for years. It's messy to apply, but easy to clean up. Curil T is rated for higher temperature (250 degrees C.) and comes in a 75ml tube, while Curil K2 comes in a 125ml plastic bottle with an applicator.

There's still plenty left in my 125ml bottle, so if I were doing it again, I think I'd go with the Curil T for the higher temp rating, lower cost, and it's probably a little easier to apply.

-John

I agree with Trevor about not using anything on the valve cover gasket. As long as you replace it regularly and it keeps it's resiliency, it shouldn't leak.
    John

It Appears Permatex Form a Gasket 2 is like Curil K2 in some areas not in others,, Permatex 2-"The product retains effective properties in contact with water , ethylene glycol,gasoline,motor oil,transmission fluid and sea water."
    -54 to 204C (-65 to 400F).

Curil K2

Chemical characterization
    ·
    Description:
    Castor oil derivative ( modified with phenolic resin) solved in

Ethanol.

Permatex 2

Composition: kaolin, vegetable oil, rosin, ethanol
    --Kaolin is aluminum-silicate(silicate-Silicon compound)

Curil T

Composition/information on ingredients
    ·
    Chemical characterization
    ·
    Description:
    Plastic Polyurethane, solved in Ethanol/Ethyl aceta
    te/Special fuel
    ·
    components:
    CAS: 64-17-5
    EINECS: 200-578-6
    ethanol F; R 11 10-25%
    EINECS: 265-151-9 Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated lig
    ht Xn, Xi, F, N; R 11-38-51/53-65-67 10-25%
    CAS: 141-78-6
    EINECS: 205-500-4
    ethyl acetate Xi, F; R 11-36-66-67 2.5-10%
    CAS: 68410-23-1 Polyaminoamid Xi; R 38-41-52/53 <2%
    CAS: 8006-64-2
    EINECS: 232-350-7
    Turpentine, oil Xn, Xi, N; R 10-20/21/22-36/38-43-51/
    53-65 <0.2%

Color: Green

Cure Time: 5-10 minutes--**EDIT** From Elring-DE(Germany)

Application
    Clean and degrease the sealing surfaces. Apply Curil T thinly and

leave for 5 – 10 minutes before fitting the parts together (they

can still be joined after several hours or even days if desired).

Processing temperature: +5°C to 30 C.

320iAman

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 08-30-2013 at 01:13 AM.

My Cars
    1983 320i + 2014 M235i
    Randy,

So, what's your conclusion?

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbclub View Post
    Randy,

So, what's your conclusion?
    John

Ordered Curil T($18-total-Autohaus), going to give Plastic Polyurethane formulation gasket sealer a try, I like that it remains flexible and there is no rush in joining parts together. Thanks for your input.

320iAman

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 08-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.

My Cars
    old schiesse
    I use Toyota RTV on my 02 M10s, can't remember their pn but I have a tube at home. Will post it later

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    77 320i 82 320is 93 f150
    I use PAM for the valve cover gasket. That nonstick spray for frying pans. never had one leak or stick.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac320i View Post
    I use PAM for the valve cover gasket. That nonstick spray for frying pans. never had one leak or stick.
    Nice

I have a weird blue squishy pan gasket on mine that did not appear to need any sealer, maybe just a little tacky stuff to hold it from shifting or squishing out.

I never put anything on the VC gasket except for oil film and it's never leaked after being reused about a dozen times. It's thick with metal reinforcement and some graphite type of surfaces on it.

A little permatex RTV in the crevices where crankcase housings meet the engine block.

Indian head shellac on coolant gaskets, bolts and pipe ends.
    Indian head shellac on distributor housing because home made oil paper gasket. lol

That's all I can remember, I've not done a complete refresh.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1978 320i
    indian head on timing cover. zero on vc. oil pan a little carbon based grease on both sides except for 4 small dots of super glue to keep gasket from moving during install. make sure to hit the block's rear corners by the main seal, as ep said, with an rtv or permatex product. zero leaks so far after 2 years.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Interesting,, I have used Permatex ultra black on the timing covers and oil pan and all is well, then it seems to develop small oil leaks,,The BMW Service Manual does call for Atmosit or Curil K2, Curil T appears to be an upgrade to Curil K2 so I'm going give it a try- non silicone formulation Curil K2 and T.

True put extra on back of engine block where rear oil seal holder joins the bottom sealing face of the block, also extra goes into where timing chain cover joins to the front of the block and the oil pan,,further a little extra where the head gasket protrudes, I clean the sealing faces with acetone and alcohol.

Like EP said its a gasket refresh , also 3-good threads on the bottom of the timing cover case and one on top timing cover..Silicone sealers don't seem to keep my oil pan and timing chain case covers bone dry, Curil T is on deck next,,

320iAman

Randy

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Update on Curil T , I have had Curil T on the timing cover gaskets and oil pan gasket for some time, it keeps the leaks away-contrary to rtv, I'm doing a water pump and gasket refresh and will use Curil T on the paper gasket, I like that it cures in 5 to 10 minutes, thus can tightened up the bolts very fast, going use Lubro Moly LM 508 antisieze to chase away rust formation on the securing bolts threads and thread locker blue on the M6 x 1.0 tpmm bolts that secure the cooling fan thru the engine fan pulley to the water pump.

Curil T is non messy, smells like bubble gum +1,never hardens,light green color,Cures super fast, leaves gasket separation in the express lane and has many applications. FYI Hylomar U Blue is along the same lines.

I use acetone or tone to degrease, demoistureize the sealing surfaces, dries almost instantly. Ordered another Tube of Curil T - $15/free ship from e bay my stock is getting low.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 02-21-2017 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    I also use indian head gasket shellac. I put it on my waterpump gasket recently.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I Like Curil T- Zero Cleanup, wipe with solvent and your done, gaskets can be reused,never hardens, pull a part is easy , good to 250 C / 482 F. Its what high end shops use.

Randy

Quotes:

If Slim Pickens had a daughter her name would be Easy Pickens, lol.
    Last edited by 320iAman; 02-22-2017 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    I use victor reinz just about anywhere it was intended for use.

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    Is any sealant used on the intake manifold gaskets (and here, I am specifically talking about the multi-piece intakes on the pre-facelift manifolds)? The gaskets I removed seemed to have a small amount of sealant (green) on one side, that may have been just for ease of assembly.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Yes, intake manifolds need a sealer, Curil T is a good choice-coat both sides of the gaskets-one coolant also. You dont want an air leak there it will throw off Air/Fuel mixture. Green--Curil T Color, Blue - Universal Blue Hylomar. The gaskets that may not need a sealant is valve cover and water pump gasket, although I just replaced a water pump and used Curil T on the water pump gasket--no more scraping the gasket off there.

Viktor Reinz has a non hardening sealer as well.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 02-23-2017 at 11:20 AM.

My Cars
    '82 320i, '86 Jetta,
    I've always struggled with oil pan and timing chain cover leaks on other cars. A mechanic friend of mine then turned me on to Permatex Right Stuff. Never going back to blue/red/orange style RTV again.

This stuff always works, and I never have leaks anymore. I also really like Moto Seal, it's a very similar product, although maybe dries a bit firmer.

For intake, head and MLS style exhaust gaskets I use Copper Spray gasket.

Last edited by Heretic E21; 02-23-2017 at 01:47 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Exhaust side gaskets-I use Ultra Copper-Temperature Range "(°F):-75 - 700, "OEM specified. Highest operating temperatures for 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones and 8 times more flexible than cut gaskets."

Randy

My Cars
    2004 Mercedes C320
    Quote Originally Posted by 320iAman View Post
    Yes, intake manifolds need a sealer, Curil T is a good choice-coat both sides of the gaskets-one coolant also. You dont want an air leak there it will throw off Air/Fuel mixture. Green--Curil T Color, Blue - Universal Blue Hylomar. The gaskets that may not need a sealant is valve cover and water pump gasket, although I just replaced a water pump and used Curil T on the water pump gasket--no more scraping the gasket off there.

Viktor Reinz has a non hardening sealer as well.

Randy
    Are you talking about between the upper and lower halves of the intake manifold? I'm working on a Mercedes C320 that just needed the upper manifold replaced. I have Curil-T, Permatex Right Stuff Black and Permatex Optimum Max Torque/High Temp Grey. Can't decide which to use to make a gasket to solve a vacuum leak causing a lean code. Is Curil-T better for areas that have contact with gas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Yancey
    Last edited by YBreaze; 11-15-2020 at 01:27 AM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Any Gasket on the intake system Curil T works well,, I used Curil T on the timing covers and its been years with no leaks. Curil T is used without gaskets typically, from my experience and others its works with gaskets as well. Maximum sealing gap 0.1 mm---metal to metal, Curil T is resistant to oil,grease,fuel,coolant,cold and hot water,salt water,weak acids and bases, ect

Curil T can seal out air as well, if I was in a code throwing issue with a vacuum leak, I'd look into additional Elring sealing compounds,, like Elring AFD 2000(Green)--immediate sealing to 5 bar pressures..
    Stick with Elring your MB never had it so good.. Bye Bye Vacuum leak . Hylomar has merit as well....

gnirle_left.png

https://www.elring.com/en/products/sealing-compounds/

Your All Welcome

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 11-16-2020 at 12:41 AM.