Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The HSVTurbo $1000 challenge, the T72 turbo & piggy back ride. Phase II

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    THanks for the video. What is the little light stick/tree thingy for? Excited to see what happens when clutch clamps.

Curious...your fuel gauge is inaccurate?
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    THanks for the video. What is the little light stick/tree thingy for? Excited to see what happens when clutch clamps.

I had the Christmas Tree light on my lil e30. They are connected to my direct port & pre TB fuel ejection system which are activated by boost pressure switches. Kind of ghetto, but it works for me lol.

Fuel Gage has never worked for me, and just recently the low fuel light just came on and won't go off. I now think of it as a reminder, RF, for Race Fuel, got some.

so I reworked my WG spring and I am now about 9.5 psi. Clutch holding, so I am good.

Another side note, my 15-year old daughter wants to learn driving with a manual trans, so earlier today we took M&M out and she put some wear and tear on the car lol. She actually did well and only killed it twice. There is an ulterior motive here, later this summer I will be telling the wife my clutch is wore out, must of been the teen age driving, darn. Yes I'm sick.
    WOT

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    I am surprised I have not seen the car riding around Huntsville before.. Looks like those runs were done on highway 53. Going to keep my eye out! Keep up the progress

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNoobGuy View Post
    I am surprised I have not seen the car riding around Huntsville before.. Looks like those runs were done on highway 53. Going to keep my eye out! Keep up the progress
    1984?

Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan
    Well let's see what your car can do now. See you in a few at the "track".
    335i with a PT5858 stuck on it.

My Cars
    95 M3
    WOT

My Cars
    none
    1984?

You picking up what he's puttin down... i am! LOL

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    1984?

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    You picking up what he's puttin down... i am! LOL

Negative

Quote Originally Posted by wtfmarine View Post
    Well let's see what your car can do now. See you in a few at the "track".

Ok.. But my car keeps on snaping axles

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Dss ftw!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNoobGuy View Post
    Ok.. But my car keeps on snaping axles
    That sucks. You need less grip lol. What is your setup? I haven't seen any 318s running around Huntsville.
    335i with a PT5858 stuck on it.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by m3mods View Post
    Dss ftw!

Eventually I would like to upgrade to a m3 trailing arm and dss axle setup, but m3 parts cars are hard to find in Huntsville. Much less even decent, quality parts. And the budget envelope is always hard pressed...

Quote Originally Posted by wtfmarine View Post
    That sucks. You need less grip lol. What is your setup? I haven't seen any 318s running around Huntsville.

I keep that hush hush for these local guys as they too want in on the build. But I will give you this, all motor, fairly high rear end. I have been on the road for a good bit, but just recently took it off for some additions. Not picture perfect, still a work in progress.

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    Fuel Gage has never worked for me, and just recently the low fuel light just came on and won't go off.
    Thats funny, my fuel gauge will sometimes drop down to empty when I'm driving around.. Just hit the top of the dash with my palm and presto fixed
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    Boosted '92 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post

Thats funny, my fuel gauge will sometimes drop down to empty when I'm driving around.. Just hit the top of the dash with my palm and presto fixed
    Hahaha I figured out that trick on my 3 series also! I just flick the gauge and it works perfectly again.

My Cars
    95 M3
    So an update on the car from the latest mods, (new exhaust, knock sensors, WG spring mod, more fuel and a little more grinding on the turbine housing, but still running the prototype manifold). I started talking smack to a 335i FBO. Vid of the after math in the below link.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...E36-M3-TURBO-d

If after watching the video you can't figure out what was going on with my car, well, what I though was going to be a 9 psi WG spring, turned out to be a boost creep craze. After my second run, peek boost was 12.5 psi. This extra air resulted in massive clutch slipping.

One thing I did take away from the runs in the above link is that my car is running much harder spooling up the turbo. If you look at my earlier run in November with the same car, I was not jumping out on the hit like I was doing a few days ago. My thought on this is during the corvette runs, by CEL was always on due to knock codes, so with these fixed, more timing is being run with the new knock sensor.

I then installed my 5# WG spring, same one I ran last year which allowed boost up to 7.5 ish psi. A rematch to the rematch took place and at the lower boost level, my clutch held and had I not of spun at the top of second, I may have been a fender in front of the 335 at the top of third. A better showing to say the least.

However, I still have a problem with WG control with the 72mm turbo. It appears that the new free flowing exhaust, allows the turbo to run away. Max boost was 11.5-ish on the 5-lb spring running up to 7200 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post
    After the super duper clutch slipping episode, I took a baseball bat to the car. My fuel light is still on, sigh,
    WOT

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    So an update on the car from the latest mods, (new exhaust, knock sensors, WG spring mod, more fuel and a little more grinding on the turbine housing, but still running the prototype manifold). I started talking smack to a 335i FBO. Vid of the after math in the below link. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...E36-M3-TURBO-d If after watching the video you can't figure out what was going on with my car, well, what I though was going to be a 9 psi WG spring, turned out to be a boost creep craze. After my second run, peek boost was 12.5 psi. This extra air resulted in massive clutch slipping. One thing I did take away from the runs in the above link is that my car is running much harder spooling up the turbo. If you look at my earlier run in November with the same car, I was not jumping out on the hit like I was doing a few days ago. My thought on this is during the corvette runs, by CEL was always on due to knock codes, so with these fixed, more timing is being run with the new knock sensor. I then installed my 5# WG spring, same one I ran last year which allowed boost up to 7.5 ish psi. A rematch to the rematch took place and at the lower boost level, my clutch held and had I not of spun at the top of second, I may have been a fender in front of the 335 at the top of third. A better showing to say the least. However, I still have a problem with WG control with the 72mm turbo. It appears that the new free flowing exhaust, allows the turbo to run away. Max boost was 11.5-ish on the 5-lb spring running up to 7200 rpm. After the super duper clutch slipping episode, I took a baseball bat to the car. My fuel light is still on, sigh,
    have you figured out what the overboost source is?
    1-manifold design-someone else can run you down this path, Im not getting into the debate.

2-too much compressible volume between the compressor boost signal and wastgate? small/short/stiff lines, remove voids in wastegate dome. leaking wastegate.
    Last edited by bry195; 02-05-2014 at 09:51 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bry195 View Post
    1-manifold design-someone else can run you down this path, Im not getting into the debate.

2-too much compressible volume between the compressor boost signal and wastgate? small/short/stiff lines, remove voids in wastegate dome. leaking wastegate.
    As for the manifold, I'm still running my prototype, so the WG routing was not the best, but I wasn't having this issue before?

I'm also running a screamer pipe, and low boost with a big turbo. From my understanding, this makes boost control tougher.

I think we both are running the same Godspeed WG. IIRC, they advertised it as a "low profile", so my concern is that maybe the WG doesn't have the full travel as say a name brand WG?

I actually removed all but 6 inches of hose for the signal line to the WG over the Christmas break. This should be better.

One item that distinguishes my system from all others, is the fact I run almost 100% methanol when in boost right now. Because methanol has a slower burn rate, could the meth still be expanding/combusting in the manifold? One way to check this is to run more timing. Thoughts?
    WOT

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Sorry buddy. meth aint my bag. from a wastegate perspective: pressure in a large volume system (relative) creates overshoots. to make a long story short removing volume removes time from the response.

you can play with the spring preload (shims). back pressure on the dome, flow restrictions on both sides of the wastegate.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    But from an AFR perspective if I have erratic afr's (new tune) it will cause 2 or 3 pounds of overboost and then settle into the correct pressure until I get everything smoothed out and where it should be.

My Cars
    95 M3
    But from an AFR perspective if I have erratic afr's (new tune) it will cause 2 or 3 pounds of overboost and then settle into the correct pressure until I get everything smoothed out and where it should be.
    Are you saying a lean AFR will cause the over boost or,A rich AFR will cause the over boost?
    WOT

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Rich is when I get the issue. Im setup for 15psi. I was playing around with a map and had a couple spots at 10 probably around 2500_3000. I hit 17 then it came down to 12. once I got the afr within reason I hit 15.25 and stayed there.
    Last edited by bry195; 02-06-2014 at 09:14 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Rich is when I get the issue. Im setup for 15psi. I was playing around with a map and had a couple spots at 10 probably around 2500_3000. I hit 17 then it came down to 12. once I got the afr within reason I hit 15.25 and stayed there.
    Interesting. So it would appear that the extra mass from the extra fuel taxes your WG system. Or said a different way, your WG system is nearly maxed out at 2500-3000 rpm. I now know what I am need to do. Thanks,
    WOT

My Cars
    95 M3
    One mod I made over the Christmas break was replace the 5/16" hose going to my WG with a 1/4" tubing. I don't know about your WG, but mine WG leaks between the valve stem and the body, not a gross leak, but I believed the smaller line was restricting pressure under the diaphragm, thus causing boost creep.

I reinstalled the 5/16" line and I am now at a more manageable creep:
    5000 rpm / 6 psi
    6000 rpm / 8 psi
    6800 rpm / 9 psi

I can live with the above, for now.
    WOT

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    I think you are patching correctly but you might want to get rid of the wastegate. there are 3 bolts inside the dome underneath the diaphragm that do not line up with the countersunk holes. so they put a piece of rubber in the counter bore under the counterbore screws. they still dont seal and work loose. I found the seat (fire ring) that the valve seals to do not even touch if you dont modify the connection between the diaphragm and valve. there are 3 set screws that lock the valve to the bellow. loosen them and pull the rod out a little so it mates. I really preloaded the valve allot. that caused about 2 or 3 psi of overshoot at 15psi. so dont do that. just set the valve to lift the fire ring by about .5mm. lock tite the counter sunk screw under the diaphragm and replace the seals under them. I use a very high temp non hardening but very thick silicone grease to seal the screws. loctite the set screws on the valve. blow on all of your ports including the wastegate inlet and outlet to the valve. the only way I could control the leak through the rod was with this silicone grease.

dow corning 111 valve lubricant and sealant. not sure if you can even get it anymore I have been nursing it along for 20 years.

My Cars
    95 M3
    I think you are patching correctly but you might want to get rid of the wastegate. there are 3 bolts inside the dome underneath the diaphragm that do not line up with the countersunk holes. so they put a piece of rubber in the counter bore under the counterbore screws. they still dont seal and work loose. I found the seat (fire ring) that the valve seals to do not even touch if you dont modify the connection between the diaphragm and valve. there are 3 set screws that lock the valve to the bellow. loosen them and pull the rod out a little so it mates. I really preloaded the valve allot. that caused about 2 or 3 psi of overshoot at 15psi. so dont do that. just set the valve to lift the fire ring by about .5mm. lock tite the counter sunk screw under the diaphragm and replace the seals under them. I use a very high temp non hardening but very thick silicone grease to seal the screws. loctite the set screws on the valve. blow on all of your ports including the wastegate inlet and outlet to the valve. the only way I could control the leak through the rod was with this silicone grease.

dow corning 111 valve lubricant and sealant. not sure if you can even get it anymore I have been nursing it along for 20 years.
    I remember reading how you modified your WG on your build thread. Mine is preloaded about .020 to .030", so I am good there. As for the leak past the stem, I would assume the name brand WGs leak too? I was hoping someone on the forum would weigh in on this, hint hint.

Anyway, if the boost creep gets into the 10's I will pull her apart and dig deeper into the WG. Right now I am fine with 9, she has a very nice linear pull, even if I am slow.
    WOT

My Cars
    95 M3
    A small update on M&M. This past winter I welded an 1/4 AN fitting onto my manifold so I could obtain some pressure data. I didn't get much time yesterday to take her out other then to run down to Micky-D's with the wife. I made one second gear pull and it appears that exhaust manifold pressure is within 1/2 psi of boost pressure. Please note I'm still running on a 5-lb WG spring, but I was thinking the exhaust pressure would be a bit higher, no?

Onto the entertaining side of thing, this should probably go in the KILL Section lol:

Last Friday I took my wife's xB to the "pick and pull lot" to get an e30 hood for my eldest daughters car. Friday is also our car pool day to pickup the kids from high school. So I left the keys to the M3 so my wife could go get the kids. Even though she has never driven M&M, I was confident she would be just fine.

When I get back home that day she tells me how nervous she was driving it. How the seat was not adjusted right, how she killed it twice and how she thought she was going to die because she smelt exhaust fumes. Then she started talking about how the car "short shifted" from second to third and then again from third going into fourth.

Normally when my wife starts expounding on technical car stuff, my eyes glaze over and I go into stupor mode. This time I'm like,"ok so you do what". She repeats the same short shift thing. I tell her, girl, you were going into boost. She throws her head back and laughs, then looks me dead in the eyes and said, "I want a 6 cylinder or a V8. I need something with some power!".

Add one more name to the boost junky list.
    WOT

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast