Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The HSVTurbo $1000 challenge, the T72 turbo & piggy back ride. Phase II

My Cars
    95 M3

The HSVTurbo $1000 challenge, the T72 turbo & piggy back ride. Phase II

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...irated-engines

Phase I can be reviewed in the above link,which tells a little about my dual fuel system. The plan for this phase will be to use pump gas under normal driving. Under boost conditions, a switch will activate to change the fuel source from gasoline to methanol.

After selling my lil e30, Goldie was her name, I've been waiting for the time and funds to be available for my turbo build on my 1995 M3. It seems like it's never the right time and there is never enough money in the bank, but it was just time to move forward.

I told, I mean, I asked my wife I would like to spend $1000 on M&M to put a turbo system on her and surprisingly she was in agreement! So with her support I will start the second phase of my build.

To keep the turbo system under $1000, I was going to use lots of stuff from the Goldie turbo system, which I removed before selling her. Recycled items are:

5-gal Fuel cell, associated fittings and FPR
    2-1/2" charge pipe, couplings & BOV
    Wide band O2
    Boost Gage
    Boost pressure switches and relays and solenoid valves

First Items purchased (Turbo specific)
    T72 turbo
    44mm WG
    Fuel pump (methanol)
    T4 flange
    O2 bung
    Tubing for manifold and exhaust piping
    Total of above $822.90

Additional purchases during the build as of 8/26/2013
    1/8" fitting
    Silicone couplers
    3- 1/2 inch V-band clamp and flange
    Nuts and bolts
    Hose and AN push-lok fitting

Grand total: $961.56

My buddy cnc'd the manifold flange for me for free with some 5/16 X 2-1/2 Cold roll steel I had in my garage. Can't complain about the price of a free flange lol.

Insurance/maintenance items:
    ARP Head Studs PN 201-4302

Obviously, to save money, I went with an eBay turbo and W.G. I've had good success running them on Goldie, in fact, my quickest and fastest lap times was running one.

Along with this build I wanted to design and build a bottom mount manifold for the e36 with the following key features:
    1.) Must be easy to install.
    2.) Must have good waste gate efficiency
    3.). Divided flange for a twin scroll turbo
    4.) Obviously, must perform in the power department

I wanted the manifold to be easy to install as some manifolds I have looked at appear to be a bear to get all the 24 nuts on and tightened. I just didn't want to have to pull the engine out every time I needed to pull off the manifold off. Even guys putting headers on the e36 complain about this, who knows, maybe we are all getting soft lol.

The reason for good WG efficiency is because I want, or really need to run low boost to start with on this phase of my build. The reason for this is that after about 8 psi or so of boost I am figuring I will be out of fuel pump on my methanol system. A simple fix would be to add an additional pump, but I want to honor my wife and keep to the budget. So with that said, if anyone wants to donate a walbro 255, I won't turn it down and I will be able to turn up the boost lol.

Items 3 &4 kinda go together so to speak. Below is a picture of the manifold I came up with. It has 1-5/8" primaries dumping into 1-3/4 diameter tubes running to the divided T4 flange. Down pipe is 3-1/2" on a 4" v-band. Running a 44mm WG.

Performance goals I have in this phase is to run faster then 90 mph in the 1/8 mile.

The other day I went to town to try and find a banjo bolt connector for my turbo oil feed. I came back empty handed so decided to drill and tap the housing by the pressure sensor. I actually should of drilled about 3/8" more toward the front as there is a ss insert at the location I drill. The only thing to do was to take a die grinder and under cut the hole before tapping. Praise the Lord it works and doesn't leak!

I've been at this build for three weeks now and last night installed the manifold for the first time with all 24 nuts. Took me 39 minutes to install and tighten all the bolt. Th four fasteners above the T4 flange are the hardest to get to. I was thinking to get to them from the top side would be easier, however, it worked out better for me to install and tighten them from the bottom.

I will be working at grinding out the hot side tonight!
    WOT

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Good stuff man, looking forward to seeing how this build progresses.

My Cars
    95 M3
    She runs!

I still have the charge pipe to install, rework my oil drain, install my electric boost gauge and the ARP head studs. Still undecided on what I want to do with the exhaust.
    WOT

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    She runs!

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvyNEpcuZA

I still have the charge pipe to install, rework my oil drain, install my electric boost gauge and the ARP head studs. Still undecided on what I want to do with the exhaust.
    5in fender dump.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Good stuff man, looking forward to seeing how this build progresses.
    Thanks, I can't wait to get her out of the garage and on the street. Why does it seem like everything on this car takes 4 times longer to complete then planned?

Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    5in fender dump.
    Got that beat, I put an 8" hole in the hood then realized I made a bottom mount manifold,

So how long should it take me to install the ARPs leaving the cam trays in?
    WOT

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Thanks, I can't wait to get her out of the garage and on the street. Why does it seem like everything on this car takes 4 times longer to complete then planned?

Got that beat, I put an 8" hole in the hood then realized I made a bottom mount manifold,

So how long should it take me to install the ARPs leaving the cam trays in?
    4x+BH should be the equation. 4 times the allotted time plus beer times hangover. Someone check my math.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Man, I know allllll about that

My Cars
    Boosted '92 325is
    How's the longevity of the eBay t72? Do you know if it will fit on a top mount manifold without cutting the hood?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan
    Nice! If you need any help with putting anything together let me know. Can't wait to the see that monster on the track!
    335i with a PT5858 stuck on it.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Well I finally got M&M off the blocks and on the road. I still need to install the ARP head studs first before I really lay into her. I also need to make a support bracket for the charge pipe, as it sits really low to the ground right now. I had about 5 ft of 3" exhaust pipe left over from Goldie, so I ended up running this on out the back, and surprisingly, it is fairly quiet without a muffler. The only thing left to purchase is a battery for the boost gauge remote, so I am pleased to report I met my $1000 build goal.

Tonight I drove around the block 4 times and was somewhat surprised that in third gear I hit 1psi at 3000 rpm at about 3/4 throttle. Personally, I real wanted a larger hot side, but with eBay, your choices are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Doesnt Matter View Post
    How's the longevity of the eBay t72? Do you know if it will fit on a top mount manifold without cutting the hood?
    I'm not sure. But I got 3 miles on it so far. The only info I gathered was on "the turbo forums" were a guy used one on his dart. He said he beat on it all season long then upgraded to a bullseye 400 series. I am not sure if it will fit on a top mount. The compressor housing is about 1 inch larger in diameter then my HX35.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfmarine View Post
    Nice! If you need any help with putting anything together let me know. Can't wait to the see that monster on the track!
    Oh, now that im finished, you offer to help, lol. I will probably head to the track in two to three weeks. I have to install the ARP head studs and replace the clutch in my daughters 325i first.
    WOT

My Cars
    95 M3
    I installed the ARP Head studs over the weekend. What fun with the cam trays in lol. She runs:
    WOT

My Cars
    95 M3
    Bad news, good news, bad news.

First, the first bad news, I found out that my pressure Gage I was using was off, so instead of 6 to 6-1/2 psi I was really at an extra 1/2 psi boost. Also, the single walbro fuel pump was maxed out at these boost levels. Obviously I started to go lean up top. So yesterday I had to add fuel, and the only way to do it for free and keep to the budget was to go to a gasoline & methanol fuel setup. Now onto the good news,

The good news, in the OP, my performance goals for this phase was to get to 90 mph in the 1/8 mile.

Accomplished!
    I posted up my fastest 1/8mile to compare between standard pump gas NA, my phase 1 20% nitromethane 80% methanol slip along with last nights slip. Using an online HP calculator based upon MPH, I calculated 225whp gas, 265whp 20% nitro and 365whp boosted. With an upgraded methanol fuel system I know I can pick up more on the top end as I was going lean last night at the higher rpm range.

Second bad news, while chasing after a 7 second 335i, I shifted to third and the clutch went limp, slipped big time. I was hoping the clutch could handle 3rd gear low pressure boost. Guess not.
    WOT

My Cars
    turbo m3
    If say you are easily 365whp, considering no weight reduction.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan
    Bad news, good news, bad news.

First, the first bad news, I found out that my pressure Gage I was using was off, so instead of 6 to 6-1/2 psi I was really at an extra 1/2 psi boost. Also, the single walbro fuel pump was maxed out at these boost levels. Obviously I started to go lean up top. So yesterday I had to add fuel, and the only way to do it for free and keep to the budget was to go to a gasoline & methanol fuel setup. Now onto the good news,

The good news, in the OP, my performance goals for this phase was to get to 90 mph in the 1/8 mile.

Accomplished!
    I posted up my fastest 1/8mile to compare between standard pump gas NA, my phase 1 20% nitromethane 80% methanol slip along with last nights slip. Using an online HP calculator based upon MPH, I calculated 225whp gas, 265whp 20% nitro and 365whp boosted. With an upgraded methanol fuel system I know I can pick up more on the top end as I was going lean last night at the higher rpm range.

Second bad news, while chasing after a 7 second 335i, I shifted to third and the clutch went limp, slipped big time. I was hoping the clutch could handle 3rd gear low pressure boost. Guess not.
    Once you get all the details worked out I'm sure you are going to be keeping up with me if not passing me.
    335i with a PT5858 stuck on it.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    If say you are easily 365whp, considering no weight reduction.
    I'm probably a few lbs lighter with the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfmarine View Post
    Once you get all the details worked out I'm sure you are going to be keeping up with me if not passing me.
    . Easier said then done, but we will see.
    WOT

My Cars
    Out of Service
    What fuel pump? Are you running stock wiring to the pump?

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    What fuel pump? Are you running stock wiring to the pump?
    I have a completely separate fuel system with a 5-gallon cell in the spare tire wheel well. One walbro 255 can only support about 360 whp running methanol from my calculations. The power wire is coming off the battery to a relay then to the pump, 14 AWG to the relay, but only a 16AWG to the pump. Hmm, wondering if I am getting a voltage drop there?
    WOT

My Cars
    95 BMW M3 Arctic grey
    This has to be the cheapest build i have ever seen 1000 bucks craaarzy, keep it up bro.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    absolutely awesome work!!! sorry if I missed it, but what are you doing for tuning?
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Adding nitro with the methanol? I haven't seen anybody on the forums adding nitro with the meth.

My Cars
    92 bmw 325i
    Adding nitro with the methanol? I haven't seen anybody on the forums adding nitro with the meth.
    I think he should add methanol to his nitro. But it's like 1k for 53 gallons .

My Cars
    95 M3
    New driver required to get out of the hole...

[QUOTE=fastboy;26843032]This has to be the cheapest build i have ever seen 1000 bucks craaarzy, keep it up bro.[/QUOTE] Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    absolutely awesome work!!! sorry if I missed it, but what are you doing for tuning?
    Thanks, I am doing the tuning myself, if you want to call it that.

I read something where the Swedes were adding a small percentage to e85, but I don't think it mixes with gas/ethanol very well.

Quote Originally Posted by gdb221 View Post
    I think he should add methanol to his nitro. But it's like 1k for 53 gallons .
    Not sure I follow? your still mixing the two. 1 gallon of nitro is $35, plus $15 for hazardous transportation or something like that. But the stuff works when applied correctly.
    WOT

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Change all your fuel wiring to 10 AWG, 14 and 16 AWG is WAY WAY too small, and actually a fire hazard. A Walbro pushed hard will do pretty much 15A, which is dropping a ton of voltage through a 16 AWG run of any length.

My Cars
    92 bmw 325i
    Not sure I follow? your still mixing the two. 1 gallon of nitro is $35, plus $15 for hazardous transportation or something like that. But the stuff works when applied correctly.[/QUOTE]

Lol I'm just messing around. How much nitro are you actually running now? It would be awesome if you ran nitro as your primary fuel.

My Cars
    Bima
    Def,
    What if you see fuel pressure increase smoothly with boost is that ok?
    Mine is on the stock wiring that's why I ask.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast