Thread: Mini Electric Power Steering Pump...

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS

Mini Electric Power Steering Pump...

I'm looking for help... I'm installing a LS3 Corvette motor in my 2003 Porsche C4S. The BMW Mini electric steering pump is new and is mounted under the front suspension so hopefully it won't have the overheating problems that seem to plague the stock installs. It appears now that I've gotten into the electrical stage of the install that the BMW Mini power steering unit needs to "talk" to the BMW computer. That's a problem/challenge... I need a work around that let's me switch the P/S pump with the ignition.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Mitch

My Cars
    2007 Ford Explorer V8
    I was discussing this with my lead tech, he says you will more than likely have to open it up and remove the control unit...then check to see if it runs with hot applied.
    Photobucket sucks

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS

Electric Power Steering Motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman109 View Post
    I was discussing this with my lead tech, he says you will more than likely have to open it up and remove the control unit...then check to see if it runs with hot applied.
    Thanks for your reply, Partsman... Not what I wanted to hear, but I knew before this was over I was going to have to make some serious changes. Thanks for your reality check...

Mitch,

My Cars
    2007 Ford Explorer V8
    I will run it by a friend that built a race car out of his MINI, I'm not sure how he wired up his pump.

- - - Updated - - -

...don't take it apart just yet...
    Photobucket sucks

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS

Mini Steering Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman109 View Post
    I will run it by a friend that built a race car out of his MINI, I'm not sure how he wired up his pump.

- - - Updated - - -

...don't take it apart just yet...
    OK, I'm on hold... many thanks for doing this.

My Cars
    2007 Ford Explorer V8
    Quote Originally Posted by creekman View Post
    OK, I'm on hold... many thanks for doing this.
    You're welcome...just send me some pics/vids when you get this thing done.

The reply from my friend that built the race car...

"PS pump does not go through any computer. All that is needed is for the 100 amp power wire to be hooked up, the ground, and there is a yellow wire that needs to go from the pump to the alternator to the pump that tells the pump that the car is pushing the correct voltage . If voltage goes low the pump will stop. So that wire must be hooked up.
    The pump is self operating, in the sense that it knows when it's needed and how much."

...so I forwarded that to my lead tech/shop foreman, and he sent me this...

"Got it, he is right, looked it up.. It has 2 operating modes 80% and 100%.. Without it connected to the bus system i think it runs constantly at 80% but it is prob fine obviously if he did it."

...hope that helps!
    Photobucket sucks

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS
    So far this isn't working out... I'm wondering if I could find/get a schematic of the Mini alternator, then I could see if I could duplicate the same wiring on my GM alternator. Evidently the BMW alternator gives the "go" signal to the P/S pump that there is enough voltage/amperage to run the P/S motor.

Can anyone point me to a site that shows the wiring inside of the Mini alternator?

Thanks,

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Were you able to get anywhere with this? I'm doing something similar but with an M54. On the 3 pin connector it's my understanding that:
    Pin 1: Wire to ignition power
    Pin 2: Alternator, I've read differing things on what this is looking for, BSD(Bit serial data) or alternator voltage?
    Pin 3: Diag(not too concerned with this)

My Cars
    Not a BMW
    I know this is an old thread, but did you guys figure out the wiring with the mini pump. I am trying to figure this out as well. Thanks fellas

My Cars
    E60 LCi 530d Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle4281 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but did you guys figure out the wiring with the mini pump. I am trying to figure this out as well. Thanks fellas
    Same - Any updates would be appreciated..

Cheers

My Cars
    Audi
    I have been trying to figure this out for a while too. Found a YouTube video called “installing an electric power steering pump in a hot rod” and visit ultimatepowersteering.com. I think you will find your answers there. I’m trying to put the Mini Cooper pump in my Audi so any dimension specs would be nice for me to have right now to make sure it fits. Not sure the ultimate pump is in fact a mini’s anyway. I figured also that in the hot rod video instead of a switch. wire it to the key switch to starter small wire would work just fine but I hope you guys can figure it out as I would like to do the same. Cheers! and Merry Christmas!!! -Andy

My Cars
    Luv
    Hi there everyone that are trying to do this cool conversion as well. So basically I've got the answer to this after reading through this thread and then watching hotrod youtube video. I order to start Mini cooper electric power steering motor first connect the large positive and negative wires accordingly. Next connect the green wire to your ignition key switch and have the key on. Then the yellow just needs to be touched to positive for a second or so. And that's it, the motor should start up! If you don't know what color the wires are like I had going on you can also look on the inside of the connector that has the 3 leads. You'l see some numbers in there. 1 is Green, 2 is Yellow, 3 is Purple but your not going to need it.

Also if anyone's curious as to why I'm installing this pump is because I've done went and put a v8 in my 1980 Chevy LUV and there's no room under the hood for a mechanical one and the mini cooper pump is just small enough to barely fit in the corner!

Ohh, and if someone has any spare connectors to this pump with a few inches of wire left cut off I really need them because I didn't get any with the pump when I got it. I can pay shipping and throw a few bucks your way for lunch, thanks.

My Cars
    2017 440xi
    Has anyone done a conversion using the MINI electric power steering pump and found conversion fittings for high pressure outlet on the pump? I'm looking for a fitting to convert the outlet to AN -6 but can't find it anywhere. If not has anyone built these themselves? If someone has the exact dimensions of the high pressure port that would be a great help

My Cars
    Z32
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark996 View Post
    Has anyone done a conversion using the MINI electric power steering pump and found conversion fittings for high pressure outlet on the pump? I'm looking for a fitting to convert the outlet to AN -6 but can't find it anywhere. If not has anyone built these themselves? If someone has the exact dimensions of the high pressure port that would be a great help
    Just did this install in my 300zx today, used an fittings and adapters. You can tap the inlet hole with a m12-1.5 tap as the hole in the case is just the right size for that thread and use a m12 to an6 adapter. You might want to find an adapter with a big enough hex surface or a copper washer so you can use an oring inside the first step of the hole, that is first step is 14mm then steps down to 10ish mm. The threads seal the fitting pretty well otherwise, just try to tap it as straight as possible. Alternatively you can drill and step it to a m14 size so it seals flat.

My Cars
    2017 440xi
    Thanks edesparza704 - that's a great help. Is there a particular adapter that you used that had a large enough hex surface? Did you have any leaking or other issues? If all worked great and no leaks it would be great to know exactly which part you used (I'd use the same)