Thread: Mini Electric Power Steering Pump...

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS

Mini Electric Power Steering Pump...

I'm looking for help... I'm installing a LS3 Corvette motor in my 2003 Porsche C4S. The BMW Mini electric steering pump is new and is mounted under the front suspension so hopefully it won't have the overheating problems that seem to plague the stock installs. It appears now that I've gotten into the electrical stage of the install that the BMW Mini power steering unit needs to "talk" to the BMW computer. That's a problem/challenge... I need a work around that let's me switch the P/S pump with the ignition.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Mitch

My Cars
    2007 Ford Explorer V8
    I was discussing this with my lead tech, he says you will more than likely have to open it up and remove the control unit...then check to see if it runs with hot applied.
    Photobucket sucks

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS

Electric Power Steering Motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman109 View Post
    I was discussing this with my lead tech, he says you will more than likely have to open it up and remove the control unit...then check to see if it runs with hot applied.
    Thanks for your reply, Partsman... Not what I wanted to hear, but I knew before this was over I was going to have to make some serious changes. Thanks for your reality check...

Mitch,

My Cars
    2007 Ford Explorer V8
    I will run it by a friend that built a race car out of his MINI, I'm not sure how he wired up his pump.

- - - Updated - - -

...don't take it apart just yet...
    Photobucket sucks

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS

Mini Steering Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman109 View Post
    I will run it by a friend that built a race car out of his MINI, I'm not sure how he wired up his pump.

- - - Updated - - -

...don't take it apart just yet...
    OK, I'm on hold... many thanks for doing this.

My Cars
    2007 Ford Explorer V8
    Quote Originally Posted by creekman View Post
    OK, I'm on hold... many thanks for doing this.
    You're welcome...just send me some pics/vids when you get this thing done.

The reply from my friend that built the race car...

"PS pump does not go through any computer. All that is needed is for the 100 amp power wire to be hooked up, the ground, and there is a yellow wire that needs to go from the pump to the alternator to the pump that tells the pump that the car is pushing the correct voltage . If voltage goes low the pump will stop. So that wire must be hooked up.
    The pump is self operating, in the sense that it knows when it's needed and how much."

...so I forwarded that to my lead tech/shop foreman, and he sent me this...

"Got it, he is right, looked it up.. It has 2 operating modes 80% and 100%.. Without it connected to the bus system i think it runs constantly at 80% but it is prob fine obviously if he did it."

...hope that helps!
    Photobucket sucks

My Cars
    2003 996 Porsche w/ a LS
    So far this isn't working out... I'm wondering if I could find/get a schematic of the Mini alternator, then I could see if I could duplicate the same wiring on my GM alternator. Evidently the BMW alternator gives the "go" signal to the P/S pump that there is enough voltage/amperage to run the P/S motor.

Can anyone point me to a site that shows the wiring inside of the Mini alternator?

Thanks,

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Were you able to get anywhere with this? I'm doing something similar but with an M54. On the 3 pin connector it's my understanding that:
    Pin 1: Wire to ignition power
    Pin 2: Alternator, I've read differing things on what this is looking for, BSD(Bit serial data) or alternator voltage?
    Pin 3: Diag(not too concerned with this)

My Cars
    Not a BMW
    I know this is an old thread, but did you guys figure out the wiring with the mini pump. I am trying to figure this out as well. Thanks fellas