Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Instead of knocking up girls, secretly paying a shop to build...... The Zackmobile

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Awesome build man. I love all the detail. Cant wait to see more progress on it!

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by camdinans3 View Post
    never seen anyone coat the inside of the crankcase like that....benefits?

keeps sand in the casting, and it can and does fallout particularly at higher power levels, mostly though it promotes oil drainback and cuts down on windage.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
    Awesome build man. I love all the detail. Cant wait to see more progress on it!
    Weren't you the one with the csl lip spoiler on your convertible? I can't find any decent pictures of it anymore, and also no information on how much needs to be trimmed off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCollins View Post
    keeps sand in the casting, and it can and does fallout particularly at higher power levels, mostly though it promotes oil drainback and cuts down on windage.
    True!!

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    So; a small update, nothing constructive though.

Tried figuring out a way to get my wrongly acquired brembo 4 pots (from a 7series, didn't know there was a difference between them and 8 series, and I refurbished them before test fitting... stupid) and e46 m3 disks fitting on the rear axle, but unfortunately, after some quick modelling I found out they probably wo'nt fit. I'd have to completely model the caliper to see if they really don't, or do a mockup mount.

Testfitted the hood secks.

Sold the X pipe, purchased the one with 100cpi cats.

And I'll let the sketch explain the following:

Here's the OpenOBC board, already soldered it into its housing, works like a charm.

Thinking about buying part 10

Also busy with lights. Trying to combine parts to get a perfect set. Unfortunately, the yellow ones are krylon painted got a partial refund though.

Want to get angel eyes back, I like the umnitza's but thing is, I hate the look of the rings. So trying to get it more 'stealthy' in there

And what makes me reaaaaaally happy is this overpriced piece of aluminium:

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Your apartment is a BMW shrine! Must be a very durable hardwood (or engineered product?) on the floor!

Have we seen all your shoes now?

Fantastic build documentation, very impressive attention to details (and I'm hard to please...)!

If you ever suffer from insomnia, you might take a look at this S-54 engine build album in my gallery (>1100 pics so far, but almost done) http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/i...hp/TM-S-54-O-H

For me, I'd rather be working on the engine than the bodywork!

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    I love this build thread. Not the least of which because you built your engine in your kitchen/living room on hardwood floors.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    I absolutely love threads like this. You kind sir, are very talented!
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E30 and other misc high mileage trash
    sub'd. dis gon be good. My question is why SC? Seems like you are going to go all out on the engine. Why not have the flexibility to make big power? I sure the SC is more than adequate though

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    If you are interested in a set of Brembo 8 series calipers I would sell.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    Weren't you the one with the csl lip spoiler on your convertible? I can't find any decent pictures of it anymore, and also no information on how much needs to be trimmed off!!!

Yea thats me. Let me see if I can find some of my pics for you. The most trimming I needed to do is around the 3rd brake light.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Your apartment is a BMW shrine! Must be a very durable hardwood (or engineered product?) on the floor!

Have we seen all your shoes now?

Fantastic build documentation, very impressive attention to details (and I'm hard to please...)!

If you ever suffer from insomnia, you might take a look at this S-54 engine build album in my gallery (>1100 pics so far, but almost done) http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/i...hp/TM-S-54-O-H

For me, I'd rather be working on the engine than the bodywork!

Lol @ shoes remark

I really like your engine build documentation! Too bad the gallery is a pain to browse trough. Why don't you make a build thread??? It's so enjoyable and motivating to "read" such things!!

Quote Originally Posted by E30Alpina View Post
    sub'd. dis gon be good. My question is why SC? Seems like you are going to go all out on the engine. Why not have the flexibility to make big power? I sure the SC is more than adequate though
    I reaaaally (visually) liked the setup of the RMS charger+chargecooler, and 'simplicity' of all. It retains the beautifully engineered euro exhaust headers too. The fact it alters the torque curve less than a turbo would was nice aswell, and it was more of a direct fit setup. But being me, I immediately went like, oh so there is a lot more that the SC can push. What needs to be modified? Oh only the pistons and rods? Well, might aswell do that. And change everything else in the process . So now my engine is ready for a lot more power, apart from some head components, and I will first try to get the max out of the charger when overreved+water injection. When I get bored of that I will probably engineer a valved compound charged setup I like the benefits of it and it would integrate very well with the turbo under the chargecooler, retaining the OEM headers. The torque curve would be madness! But this is years away from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame36sedan View Post
    If you are interested in a set of Brembo 8 series calipers I would sell.
    Piccie+price please?

Quote Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
    Yea thats me. Let me see if I can find some of my pics for you. The most trimming I needed to do is around the 3rd brake light.
    Found anything yet?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Serious attention to detail. Can't wait to see this go together.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Well, time for an update!

Didn't like these too much... something was wrong...

Nice size though...

So fired up the lathe... and on with the magnesium centers! *actually made a fire... rpm too high*

Rear trial fitment, mounted this way, will need an extra gasket:

Front as supposed:

Which translates to; 19x12J and 18x9J :-)

Also machined the hub bore and mounting plane... there was a LOT of wobble in the wheels, like 1mm axial and radial. Now they are true within 0.02/0.03mm or so

That was all, you may continue.
    Last edited by daandaman; 03-13-2014 at 05:19 AM.

My Cars
    e36
    Amazing build so far!!

My Cars
    E36
    Being a mechanical engineer I love this thread. Reminds me of college using the 20 year old lathes

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Being a mechanical engineer I love this thread. Reminds me of college using the 20 year old lathes
    I have the same feels :p old green crap. But these are large!

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    amazing. So thorough

Can i just point out that all the cool car stuff is over seas.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Cry for help:

As Tein europe claims they dont make 'em anymore and asks nearly double the price for a single production run, Im wondering if there is a kit left in the USA.
    What Im looking for (already placed a wanted ad) is a Tein SuperStreet with pillowball upper mounts kit for a e36 M3 (must be for M3!)
    Manuf. Product code: DSG76-2UAS4

As Im based in the netherlands, europe, It is extremely expensive to call the companies that perhaps have something left in stock. Problem with emailing is that you can't kindly 'force' the salesmen to actually check their stock, because they all respond with 'yes we've got them, because the computer/website says so' untill it is time to get me a refund as they find out, after my payment, that they dont have stock and that Tein doesnt aswell.

So if some people would make some calls please??? *puppyeyes*

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    Cry for help:

As Tein europe claims they dont make 'em anymore and asks nearly double the price for a single production run, Im wondering if there is a kit left in the USA.
    What Im looking for (already placed a wanted ad) is a Tein SuperStreet with pillowball upper mounts kit for a e36 M3 (must be for M3!)
    Manuf. Product code: DSG76-2UAS4

As Im based in the netherlands, europe, It is extremely expensive to call the companies that perhaps have something left in stock. Problem with emailing is that you can't kindly 'force' the salesmen to actually check their stock, because they all respond with 'yes we've got them, because the computer/website says so' untill it is time to get me a refund as they find out, after my payment, that they dont have stock and that Tein doesnt aswell.

So if some people would make some calls please??? *puppyeyes*
    I checked my source and they are out of stock. Price is around $1400 for special order.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    I checked my source and they are out of stock. Price is around $1400 for special order.
    trying to call you right now!

edit:

Since my last post asking everybody for help with this, I've downloaded an app (magicjack, thanks Volosso!) and have been calling quite some distributors and actually Tein USA themselves.
    My findings are that nobody has them on stock anymore and everybody needs to order them specially from Tein.
    Tein has a standard fee of around 30% on the standard retail price.
    Standard retail price was somewhere around $1800 USD and with the special production run fee it is $2275,-

I obviously do not know about the possible reductions that some distributors receive on that price, but what I did find out is that Tein is not the best in informing its distributors wether products are NLA. They even have this kit I'm looking for on their 2014 distributor pricelist.
    But, if you call them, they will tell you the above.

If you can indeed give me a better price on it than the 2K+, lmk.
    Last edited by daandaman; 03-19-2014 at 04:02 PM.

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    trying to call you right now!

edit:

Since my last post asking everybody for help with this, I've downloaded an app (magicjack, thanks Volosso!) and have been calling quite some distributors and actually Tein USA themselves.
    My findings are that nobody has them on stock anymore and everybody needs to order them specially from Tein.
    Tein has a standard fee of around 30% on the standard retail price.
    Standard retail price was somewhere around $1800 USD and with the special production run fee it is $2275,-

I obviously do not know about the possible reductions that some distributors receive on that price, but what I did find out is that Tein is not the best in informing its distributors wether products are NLA. They even have this kit I'm looking for on their 2014 distributor pricelist.
    But, if you call them, they will tell you the above.

If you can indeed give me a better price on it than the 2K+, lmk.
    My source also says they are no longer made. All the EDFC parts you want are still available.

There is a seller on eBay with 9 sets available for $1575. They may have the last stock available...if that is true. Item number 280810180042 EDIT: Those are non-M coilovers on eBay. Sorry!
    Last edited by EMC; 03-19-2014 at 04:33 PM.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Have been spending shitloads of time the last weeks, mainly in the evenings when I couldn't sleep anyways, on getting everything prepared for the big move of the car to another garage that I already had but was way cheaper. Over here, something like a garage is a rarity, especially like the 2 or 3 car garages that are more common in the USA.
    The new garage was way too expensive so I did my best in getting the old one in a state that is pleasant to work in, organisable and clean enough to do the work on the M3.

There was really a ton of crap in it, from parts of the Ducati and my Ford Fiesta mk1 project car(s...) up to old wheels etc. Spent nearly 1.5 weeks on sorting it out, and bringing everything from both garages to my home.

First I needed to create room in my spare bedroom, and put enough shelves in there to receive all the junk. In the end I installed 9 of these racks.

Then, as one of the 2 fiesta mk1's need to be my daily ride and it had a cracked head, I first, before doing anything else with the bmw, I needed to find a donor mk2, get the engine out of that one, get the engine out of the mk1, swap the parts that differ between those models and install it again in the mk1, including some new goodies like NLA red adjustable Koni dampers. Well here's me doing all that:

Once thatwas done, I started with hanging some things against the wall. Speakers, shelves, cupboards...

Already made a huge difference to not have those speakers on the floor...

Converted the faux military box to a lockable cupboard:

It is actually quite important to have some lockable storage space in there because there are a few supervisors of the terrain that have access into my garage...

Some more, and another cupboard:

Also replaced the extinguisher to a more logical location... when there is a gasoline fire in the garage, you don't want to have to walk INTO te garage to get the extinguisher... you want to hide behind the door whilst opening it, and then be able to get to the extinguisher. A win-win situation really, as it now doesn't take up any vital space against the wall, as you usually never place something in front of the door... but you do at the wall.

To get an idea of the crap that builds up...

I once bought this completely useless piece of shit cart, thinking it would be handy...

Well, it wasn't so here comes the angle grinder...

Thadaa, a lockable cupboard!

Starting to look a lot better...

Basically, when you don't have heaps of cash to spare, projects like these are 90% logistics, 9% forum/ebay searching and 1% actual mechanics.

Anyways, besides being leaky, gray and small, the biggest problem with this garage was the floor. It is 3539872 year old concrete with a ton of oil and grease and paint residue in it. That is not cleanable without sandblasting it or so. Went online and found some second hand flooring nearby!

Well... I guess that nobody was really waiting on this extremely well documented garage flooring saga of mine... So here's what happened next:

lol...

Then a couple of minutes of illegal after-midnight towing later:

Back in it's old home!

Close to it's relative...

Not much room, but looking good!

One relieved owner:

Quite funny view:

So... many hours after midnight... I could not resist it. There was no other option. Testfitting had to be done.

Ductape fitment:

With a 10mm spacer and OEM camber and partially hanging suspension, to get an idea:

I need to either get larges spacers machined, or wider wheel lips mounted on front. Good, good.

On to the rear:

With a 10mm spacer, just barely clearing the bulge in the inner wheelarch.

Clearing the suspension arm just fine:

Still with stock camber arms:

No problems here as well:

Yeah. It's nice. Not much needs to be done there. Maybe a bigger spacer and a little camber.

Another positive development; I've paid for a single production run of the Tein superstreet coilover kit, with pillowball upper mounts.
    Should look like this:

Why these? Because EDFC Active Pro. And no 3 way adjustble-moneys. And because not racecar. I like the idea of being able to (automatically or manually) adjust corner to corner from soft and smooth to firm, as this is primarily a luxurious and (very) fast car, and only secondarily a 'sportscar'.

Shouldn't be to difficult to nicely blend into the interior, I've got some ideas already. Color is fully adjustable!

I guess, color and font-wise that classifies as OEM+...

Some info:

So, the Active Pro does each corner individually based on axial and lateral accelerometers AND road speed AND user adjustability. All the time.

It is even upgradable to independent compression and rebound (just need to add some motors and drivers, but the price tag for such (Tein) coilovers are a bit out of my reach for now.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    If I were looking to purchase an identical pair of turbo's... and if I wouldn't want to pay ANY more than strictly necessary... (which probably rules out buying the exact propper sizes) where and what for should I be looking at? Some 2nd hand audi S4 turbos ond ebay? Guess they will restrict too much.

Suggestions?

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Or perhaps a single item w. twin scroll turbine housing...

My Cars
    98 m3
    First what power lvl is important....
    If your going for a single id say get a bw. Look up kkk turbos they are cheap
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast