Thread: Sagging transmission tunnel insulation

My Cars
    1999 M3 coupe

Sagging transmission tunnel insulation

While I was doing regular maintenance and removing the CDV today, I noticed the the insulation liner in the trans tunnel is sagging badly. It has polished the drive shaft and guibo and also looks to have friction burns on a lot of it. There is also a chance it may be interfering with the gear selector. How do i get it to sit against the tunnel wall? I didn't notice any attachment points in the upper area. Only down lower.

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    I know the feeling, after doing a reverse light switch I found mine sagging too. I rigged up some bits of a wire coat hangar and zip ties and made supports. Not sure how it's holding up as I haven't been under the car fro a few months. No interference with shifting.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    2 options and both require drilling a few small holes.

Drill a series of holes and get some plastic panel connectors from the auto parts store. Similar to the ones that hold the insulation to the hood of the car.

Drill some holes and use screws and fender washers to secure it to the tunnel. This is probably the best way. You'll never get any kind of adhesive to hold in there

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Can't you just pull it out?

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    3m yellow trim adhesive should hold it up for as long as the original stuff held it up, same basic crap thats on there to start with, simply spray both sides wait a few min and then stick it together.

yes it will stick just clean up with brake cleaner first. no the non yellow glue wont. and no other brands wont work either. be very carefull drilling holes in your trans tunnle without removing the carpet from the interior. catching a wire or spinning the carpet backing around is a bad time.
    Last edited by scoobiedoo2029; 09-02-2013 at 12:42 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    2 options and both require drilling a few small holes.

Drill a series of holes and get some plastic panel connectors from the auto parts store. Similar to the ones that hold the insulation to the hood of the car.

Drill some holes and use screws and fender washers to secure it to the tunnel. This is probably the best way. You'll never get any kind of adhesive to hold in there
    Is it possible to get a drill in there at that angle without removing the transmission or driveshaft?

My Cars
    94 325i
    I was so excited to do this project until you pointed that out.
    I like my car.

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Okay, I have the same issue with my foam liner sagging. It rubs against my driveshaft and my center bearing. I don't want to replace it with a new BMW part. I've see people screwing it up, using glue/silicone, and using magnets. I want to try a different method that may be more permanent and be more effective than the OEM piece.

If I cut it out and use Peel & Seal and a waterproof foil tape, do you guys think it will hold up? This way, I still keep some sound insulation and heat insulation properties with the new stuff I put in.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...587-_-10926682
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_225505-98-33...ape&facetInfo=

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Or ... you guys could just let it rub. I had that on my green coupe, no issue, my dad has had it on his car for the last 35k miles with no problem (unless you consider a polished section of driveshaft a problem).

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    Last edited by anarekist; 04-23-2014 at 07:12 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Or ... you guys could just let it rub. (unless you consider a polished section of driveshaft a problem).
    No thanks. I like my drive shaft like my women. Dull and dirty

My Cars
    03-X5 4.6iS & 01-X5 3.0
    Rip it out and replace with the foil backed dynamat.

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by anarekist View Post
    Yea, you could use this one and attach it to the car body. Then stick and bolt, nut and washer through the insulation and it should be good for years.
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZB8

I'm still interested in my Peel & Seal method with additional foil tape. Does anybody think it will hold up to the temperatures and over time?

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    Find bigger things to worry about in life, rip it out if its a problem.

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon
    I ripped all of it out I could over two years ago and haven't noticed any issues, not even any warmth in the cabin. It's also one less place for dirt and moisture to collect.
    Check out my current build pics here