Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best hydraulic floor jack?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Boston/Modena

Best hydraulic floor jack?

Hello everyone!

I wanted to get a feel for what everyone's floor jack of choice is. I'm currently looking for one, and there are tons that range from $50-300.

A few that I'm looking at:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-h...8048-7788.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rand-Aluminu...ea5b7a&vxp=mtr

http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminu...ons-68052.html

So, what do you guys recommend?
    Thanks!
    1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena

My Cars
    97 M3
    HF has good stuff. If your cars not very low, get the cheaper jack

My Cars
    1997 M3 Boston/Modena
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFX328 View Post
    HF has good stuff. If your cars not very low, get the cheaper jack
    My 530 has sport suspension. So I wouldn't say it's that low, but it's still pretty low as far as ground clearance goes.

Should I stay away from the aluminum one on ebay? Chinese made I would assume..
    Last edited by bmwahba46; 08-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Just about all jacks are chinese made, unless you feel like spending $300 or more on a high-quality US or European-made jack.

If its just going to be rolling around your garage, get a steel jack. Something decently built and possibly not from HF or Wal-Mart. Lots of better jacks in the $80-150 range. If you are a member at Sam's Club, they usually have some jack in the $80 range, we bought one that was branded as a Michelin or something about 6+ years ago, it weighs about 100 lbs but has worked flawlessly.

The aluminum jacks are really only worth it if you have to travel with them, their light weight comes in handy. I have HF's smallest AL jack, its 27 lbs IIRC but it only lifts to 14", just enough for most basic tasks at my apt's parking garage. Otherwise I'd have a nice 100 lb steel jack rolling around.

My Cars
    97 M3
    I think HF would have a better warranty, and the fact you can pick it up locally is convenient.

eBay is good for lots of things but I dont think a jack is 1 of em

Let us know how it works out

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I have the AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ.

Pretty much the holy grail of floor jacks IMO.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post

Drooool. Those are sweet, kinda ridiculous that they can lift close to 3 ft.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleShooTiger View Post
    Drooool. Those are sweet, kinda ridiculous that they can lift close to 3 ft.

My Cars
    97 M3
    That is a nice jack, especially for low cars (3 inches!) but the price.. everyone has their own budget..

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    After having gone through 4 or 5 of the Crapsman, HF, etc aluminum jacks, that are made in the same Chinese jack factory... I got tired of wasting money on disposable jacks that last a year or so at best. Junk is junk.

Its always cheaper to do it right once than do it wrong multiple times.

Any of those jack choices would be appropriate for a jack to use at AutoX changing wheels/tires, or something like that. For service or any real use for a avid DIY'er? Junk.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    I think any decent floor jack from HF or wally world should be OK for an occasional use. I have this from HF and it does what it's supposed to do. It is low enough for my lowered cars and lifts high enough to lift a crossover/SUV.
    I also have a cheap 2 ton trolley jack from wally world that still works after 6 years of use.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    After having gone through 4 or 5 of the Crapsman, HF, etc aluminum jacks, that are made in the same Chinese jack factory... I got tired of wasting money on disposable jacks that last a year or so at best. Junk is junk.

Its always cheaper to do it right once than do it wrong multiple times.

Any of those jack choices would be appropriate for a jack to use at AutoX changing wheels/tires, or something like that. For service or any real use for a avid DIY'er? Junk.
    Wow, I've only gone through 2 aluminum HF's, an old Walker I had lasted decades, after I got it,well used, at an auction..

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    I have a HF Jack. Fits under my Z4M perfectly fine. Have had it for close to 3 years with no problems. I could of liked some more height on the jack. Need to use some boards to get the rear up and get jack-stands underneath.

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    1997 M3 Boston/Modena

Ouch, looks amazing, but that is a little outta my budget!!

I'm going to head up to sams club tomorrow to see that "torin" jacks they have and give em' a shot. Anyone have experience with the Torin jacks?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bmwahba46; 08-26-2013 at 09:18 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwahba46 View Post
    Ouch, looks amazing, but that is a little outta my budget!!
    The jack pad for that jack costs almost as much as my jack!!!!

I use a walmart jack. Never had any problems. Gets a bit "grimy" to operate after awhile but its easy to clean out and its actually extremely robust in it's construction. Go to a walmart and take one out of the box and check it out. I prefer it vastly to any HF jack... I use HF jackstands though.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0
    i have an Arcan low profile. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Y9YGX4 works real well, lifts my G20 van no prob, and my Z3 without issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

My Cars
    Ducati, Miata, Subie
    The HF jacks need to have an oil change, or 2, before you use it. Metal shavings will pour out with the oil supplied and that's the #1 reason why they go tits up after a year or so. Those metal flake/filings get into the seals and cut them up making the jack useless. Flush the oil out 1-2x and you're good to go.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    This one beats any of the ones in the OP.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...8050-8048.html

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have a couple of the $59 HF aluminum jacks. One is 6 or 7 years old. Broke a caster wheel once but that is it. Convenient and portable. Also have a $69 Michelin steel jack from SAMs Club that is also 6-7 years old. No issues with it. Never changed the oil on any of them but maybe I'll do it now for preventative maintenance.

My Cars
    Nissan
    I almost order craftsman floor jack. Luckily, find this thread. Here most of the people saying HF brand floor jack. Will you like to recommend which model should i buy of Harbor Freight brand? I am looking details of a floor jack under 100.

Update: Thanks everyone. After reading your comment I have decided to buy this HF model.
    Last edited by lfihariz; 07-13-2017 at 12:28 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Just go into HF and buy whatever low profile jack is on sale that meets your needs for lifting capacity. They should pretty much all be under $100.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Unless having a light weight jack is important to you, I wouldn't worry about getting an aluminum one. Other than that, you also don't NEED a 3 ton jack to work on a BMW. If you want to be able to cover all bases and jack your car up from whatever jack point you choose, get a low profile, extended reach jack. I got mine at HF and it works fine. Spend the few extra bucks and get the warranty too. If you have problems, they will exchange it in store, if you have one near you.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, you'll need jack pads of some sort. You can get jack pads in a broad range of prices on amazon. I bought the jack pad inserts that fit into the body of the car on ebay pretty cheap. As for the pad for the jack, I use hockey pucks.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 07-08-2017 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic
    repeat "low profile, extended reach" and add highest lift also, like 18 to 20 inches. because the e36 needs about 1 1/2 feet of reach to access the crossmembers and still be able to use jack handle.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Unless having a light weight jack is important to you, I wouldn't worry about getting an aluminum one.
    Having a lightweight jack was not important to me when I bought mine. But in retrospect I wish now I had bought the aluminum one... there are jobs I'm struggling with in my backyard that would be easier if I moved my jack. But the thing is bloody heavy, and to get it into my backyard I have to drag it over gravel and its a PITA.

I will say IF the aluminum ones are within 15-20%... just buy the aluminum one. Usually they are almost double the price though, and at that I'd pass...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    My advice? Pick up a second hand US made service jack.
    I own a HF aluminum "racing" jack. It lifts quickly, albeit with more effort, and is nice and light, you can lift it one handed easily. The pad is very small, enough that I've had it slip off of the jack pad once crushing the rocker panel, a $700 repair. Yes, I was a bit careless but it wouldn't have happened with a larger pad or larger wheels that will roll easily as the car rises. It also doesn't inspire confidence when fully raised. I use it for changing tires.
    For servicing, if I will be under the car even long enough to set a jack stand I use a 40 year old Craftsman 1 1/2 ton service jack. They were US made then and made to last. I've added oil ONCE since new.
    Then, as now, Craftsman buys and re-brands common tools. Most every jack I see of this vintage is virtually identical regardless of what brand.
    Last edited by ross1; 07-10-2017 at 10:50 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast