Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here has a RUSTY TAILGATE???

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ditto...excellent write-up & pics of the vulnerable rust spot locations on the Touring's tail gate.

And as far as water retention in the fuel filler door area...both my e38 and e39 collect a small amount of water in this area...which I always would sop out after washing the vehicle. When I picked up my X5...I noticed that BMW designed a drain hole in this area...so apparently water retention in this area did come to their attention thus the redesign. Sadly too late for the e38/e39...but their generational cousin (the e53) which continued to be built up to the 2006 model year...did.

Note the drain hole on the far right of the fuel filler door area...below the hinge...on my e53. This should have been used on the e38 & e39, too:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1999 528iT/5
    +1 for rust, I'll add my info. once I take it apart and fix. I'm trying to find a rust free Titan Silver tailgate, quite the challenge, isn't it?!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    this is a good thread - missed it before.

almost every touring I've seen has rust on the lower left - for some reason that one is worse than the other. i have a tiny bubble just starting...

will get mine fixed sometime in next year, having seen this DIY I might 'pre-treat' it myself before then to hold it up - ditto w/ the POR-15 treatment.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I have it too. I plan on re-spraying the whole car at some point so I will fix or replace the tailgate at that time. I got my car from Tinius

My Cars
    e60 M5; e39 525it
    I just replaced mine...

got a used hatch with glass for $150, got it sprayed and mounted for $500

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Dats good price. I could never get that done for that here. You gotta shop connection or something?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    e60 M5; e39 525it
    the gate i got from a guy who was scrapping his touring... he just threw that price out there and I took it.

as far as paint and install, the shop had done work for me before on my M5 so i'm assuming that's why he gave me that price

My Cars
    '04 325i, '01 525iT
    Mine is rusty too. In fact, I have a hole in the middle just below the button to open the glass. I need to get it fixed because water will get in if it rains. I have it sealed off with some plastic right now, but wondering what my options are. Car is Oxford Green Metallic and with the rarity of Tourings to begin with, I'm thinking my chances of finding a junkyard part isn't very good.

My Cars
    '82 323i, '03 525iT
    I battled this rust on my '99 528iT, and now I am doing the same on my '03 525iT (5MT + Sport Package). I was unaware of the harness and grommet, and have used rust treatments, etc. to slow the progress of the rust only where it shows up at the bottom of the window. But tinius' DIY is really excellent, and now I will really go at the source of the problem and hope to stabilize the little bit of rust that is there. Thanks a bunch!

I also have rust along the bottom edge of the rear window frame, which isn't so bad, but it pisses me off, because it should have been clear to our friends at BMW that that area needed to have positive drainage. As it is, water just sits in that area just below the window as is held against the metal window frame. I have been tempted to remove the plastic strip that runs across the tailgate under the window to facilitate cleaning and drying. Has anyone done that?

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    In regards to the hardware that is under the rubber boot 'stop buffer', shown to the right with the torx head in the picture above (with rubber boot removed).

When I took my tail gate apart the other day to ascertain the extent of the rust under there, I noticed that the 'Blind rivet nut' as BMW calls it (a.k.a. Nutsert) is very rusted on both sides of mine (what the torx bolt screws into). At first I thought the tailgate itself was rusted too around the holes where that blind rivet nut goes into, but it seems like the rust from the rivet nut has just run off onto the paint around it and will rub off with some work, with hopefully no rust on the actual tailgate metal underneath it. However, I was hesitant to try and get the blind rivet nut out of there since I didn't really know what I might be getting into. Looking at the RealOEM diagram though it looks like it should be able to come out and be replaced, but it is a rivet so does not just twist out with a socket/ratchet. Has anyone ever removed/replaced that part? Looks like there is a whole set of tools for removal and installation of these things. Read many threads on the tailgate topic and have never seen this mentioned before, unless I missed something.

#17 in the diagram
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...41&fg=60&hl=22

thanks-
    Ryan

My Cars
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon
    Ryan, I was not able to remove or even turn that blind rivet nut on my previous touring, and have not tried on my current car. You might try just removing the bolt, cleaning it up as well as you can and replacing the bolt and bumper. If the tailgate sheet metal is not rotting around it you may not have a problem at all. The bumper keeps the glass from rattling when closed, so it might take some adjusting.

Regards,
    2014 i3 BEV, 2016 X5 xDrive40e
    Myrtle Beach SC

My Cars
    2002 530iT/6, 2002 525i
    I replaced my rusty tailgate with the one I got from Tinius.

My Cars
    01 525iT 88 535is 76 '02
    That is a great post, Stephen. Mine has rust, so I will be not only cleaning, but doing rust removal as well. And here I was worried that the e39 guys wouldn't be as on top of their shit as the 2002 and e28 guys. Boy, was I mistaken.

My Cars
    03'525it, 95' 525it,
    I found that my glass needed adjustment on the tailgate. Went to turn that torx bolt with the rubber bumper on it and the whole assembly just spun out.
    The rivet, torx and bumper. Not on just one side but both so I ordered all new and got one spare rivet ( #17) . The rivet part is made of a soft metal, like lead, but not lead my father has a shop, so I barrowed his blind rivet tool. Easy install, just really added some never seize to the threads so hopefully it does not seize up like the old originals.

My Cars
    E36
    I would add(6 years later) that beside cleaning, the rear hatch needs some cavity wax. At least this is what I will do after replacing my rusty hatch...

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Cavity wax ? Is this something special, or or are you suggesting to wax the inside of the hatch ?

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Cavity wax - rustproofing wax - like Ziebart. I plan on painting the inside of mine with Por-15.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Okay. I thought that maybe sealing up those holes in either side of the hatch where the wires go through would be a good start. Body shop also recommended some undercoating when the temps cool off, but that doesn't address the rear hatch.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Most of the stuff underneath tends to be OK no? Tons of aluminum and zinc coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    No - do not seal any holes. https://www.por15.com/

Use that, and keep it clean. Do you drive it in the winter?

My Cars
    E36M3/4 E39T&E61 E39M5
    Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    Cavity wax ? Is this something special, or or are you suggesting to wax the inside of the hatch ?
    Maybe he meant to say Cosmoline??? Lol, unfortunately that was applied/Only applied in Munich BMW Factory prior to shipping to the US...

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Cavity wax can be called cosmoline at times. That is what we called the aftermarket rustproofing in the 80’s here in the north east. Keep the gate clean, free of salt, and don’t let the drain holes clog. It is the weak point of the touring. All the debris catches in the valley at the base of the glass, and has a place to fester.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Once a month, I blast these corners with compressed air. That blows out all the dirt and debris that pools up there under the plastic shrouds every time it rains. If you park under a tree that pukes a ton of crap, this is even more important that you do what I do. If you let the debris build up, it becomes a swamp that stays constantly wet, You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what happens next.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    You are in Virginia. I am in NY, and Doholloran is in Canada. The salt mixture we see is nasty stuff. My car was a Boston area car - 197k in the first 12 years - the tailgate was reconstructed twice. My hinge pins snapped from rust. From some of the other pics, I wonder if we would be better off not putting the plastic trim on, and insulating the harness better.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Well, this I could say, pull all the shrouds off, clean the surfaces real well. Inspect for wear through the paint where the harness layed. Inspect where the rust always happens. If it is good with good paint on it, clean it better, get a grey 3M scuff pad, mask off the area that the plastic shrouds don’t touch, scuff the clear coats surface lightly. POR15, coat the whole known area.once it dries, give it a second coat for good measure, peel off the masking tape, cover it back up with the shrouds.this should help out a lot.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast