Thread: -01 520i m54 inpa 83 kw error & 244 segment time measuring faulty

My Cars
    e39 520i -01

-01 520i m54 inpa 83 kw error & 244 segment time measuring faulty

Hello,

Car wont run 100% and i have those error codes. Asc light came on at the same time. I have replaced crankshaft, both camshaft and TB sensors, all original parts. Still same fault.

What next? Do i have to reprogram/update dme at dealer after i have replaced new parts? I tried to erase error codes with inpa, no luck.

Engine wiring harness? Faulty DME?

Can i buy used DME with same number and somehow get that working with current EWS etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mika

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Most of us are not familiar with INPA error codes. Please try to read P-codes and report back.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328Ci E46 coupe
    Hellow, I'm desesperate! I'm having the exact same issue. I cannot use my car. Same inpa codes and same ASC light with limp mode.

Have you solved this issue? Any help would be great!

Thanks!

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Just the same here in my ī00 530i...ASC light on and the same INPA engine codes, plus a ASC error code.

I was driving in the highway at about 75 mph when I noted a small hesitation and saw the ASC light. Although my car was able to mantain 75 mph perfectly, it lacked power and revved more slowly. Back at home I connected INPA and pulled this error codes. I cleared them and the car goes right now, with the ASC light off, but it happened twice this week so itīs probable it will happen again soon.

Please, any help...thanks!

20181227_114103 (Grande).jpg 20181227_114115 (Grande).jpg 20181227_114459 (Grande).jpg

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Always a great idea to bump a 5yr old zombie thread with zero helpful content. That always works great. ( <<< meaning it does NOT usually work at all).

"Exact same issue" is more often than not, NOT exact same issue.

Regardless.

B234R

I'll grant you the codes are a bit cryptic in this case.

Here's the easy code to decipher: NMOT = engine RPM signal, and therefore for some reason the ASC is complaining about the engine RPM was not being available on the CAN bus. That one seems easiest to understand.

So why an RPM problem? That may be because of the other errors.

On the 244 - "KW" says "wheel sensor", so... maybe its related to a bad wheel sensor signal... but in some DME German abbreviations I know KW = crankshaft. So, that might actually be more related to crank sensor, maybe RPM signal is dropping out and then causing the other errors? The 83 then sometimes appears listed as a DME-cluster CAN signal error.

So it seems to me either wheel speed and/or engine speed are dropping out, either that or the CAN bus has a short someplace and is 'hiccuping' for a moment.

Those just my best guess.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Always a great idea to bump a 5yr old zombie thread with zero helpful content. That always works great. ( <<< meaning it does NOT usually work at all).

"Exact same issue" is more often than not, NOT exact same issue.

Regardless.

B234R

I'll grant you the codes are a bit cryptic in this case.

Here's the easy code to decipher: NMOT = engine RPM signal, and therefore for some reason the ASC is complaining about the engine RPM was not being available on the CAN bus. That one seems easiest to understand.

So why an RPM problem? That may be because of the other errors.

On the 244 - "KW" says "wheel sensor", so... maybe its related to a bad wheel sensor signal... but in some DME German abbreviations I know KW = crankshaft. So, that might actually be more related to crank sensor, maybe RPM signal is dropping out and then causing the other errors? The 83 then sometimes appears listed as a DME-cluster CAN signal error.

So it seems to me either wheel speed and/or engine speed are dropping out, either that or the CAN bus has a short someplace and is 'hiccuping' for a moment.

Those just my best guess.
    I reused the old thread because I thought it was a good idea, having my car exactly the same error codes, instead of starting a new one. In some forums moderators suggest to reuse old threads in order to have the information better sorted, but if Bimmerforums practice is opening new threads, Iīll open it, no problem.

Anyway, thanks for your help. A few minutes ago I discovered that KW could mean "crankshaft" in INPA but that is confusing...the car runs very well, no stalling, etc. that were symptoms of bad crankshaft/cam sensors in my E36 328i.

A pair of things I didnīt say:

-When I bought the car last summer, it had a problem with the ABS/ASC module (ABS and ASC lights on, speedo not working). I installed an used module (from an european market ī99 530d) and it worked straight, no coding needed. No problems since then.
    -When I arrived at home, I turned off the car and, a few seconds later, turned on the key. The engine was cranking for 3-4 seconds and finally started. I repeated the operartion, another 3-4 seconds cranking. Before this problem my car started right away, and after clearing the codes, it starts inmediately again.

My Cars
    E39 530i
    I replaced the crankshaft sensor with a VDO Siemens one.
    Iīve driven 2100 kilometers after that, without a single failure, INPA showing no errors. The car runs great.