Thread: Caution: WTB Scammers

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i

Caution: WTB Scammers

There have been a rash of new users registering on the forum for the purpose of stealing your money. Be very cautious on PM's sent from recently registered members or ones with low post counts. If you feel you are being scammed by a member PM a mod so we can look into the member.
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

My Cars
    1999 528i touring, 1967

Follow Up to WTB Scammers

I don’t normally enjoy admitting my errors especially on a public forum but hope to prevent anyone else from losing their money. You need to be careful when trying to purchase items. I made the mistake of not doing my due-diligence and vetting a potential seller who responded to my WTB request last month and now I am out $325! The member said all the right words and even negotiated with me on the price. But I made some fatal errors. I did NOT check the number of posts made by the member here. I also FAILED to make note of some simple grammatical errors that someone residing in the good old USA would not likely have made. Lastly, and most importantly, I did NOT list the transfer of funds through PayPal as a purchase but rather as a gift, at the supposed sellers request so they could avoid paying the fees. So, now the seller’s email account is no longer valid and PayPal won’t even tell me what country my money went to. Also note that when you send the money there is nothing on your side to indicate the money is going out of the country until after the money is GONE!!

Hard to believe I fell for this as I can spot a phishing email from a mile away!

Signed: Really Stupid and Pissed Off!!

My Cars
    76 2002 - 5MT | 91 318is

WTB scammer

I wasn't sure where to post this but got a couple of suspicious contacts from my wanted to buy post asking me to email them directly. Quick Google search showed the same/similar user and email for scams on other forums.

Idk if the mods can remove the accounts, but wanted to throw it out there as a reminder for everyone to be cautious.

Same account/pm came in from a cross post I had in pelican parts as well.

Huff01 & Huff132
    Ruffmanrobert@outlook.com
    Hfnthon@gmail.com

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    huff01 was already reported today by another member and I banned him.
    Huff132 was also banned by another mod. To report scam posts or PM's report the posts, there is a button to report even in PM's. Then automatically the mods get an alert info und will take action.
    Thanks
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Scammer working the car forums

A fellow calling himself John Bremmers has been active replying to WTB ads. using this reply add. bremmersproperties@gmail.com

A wire transfer as payment should be your first clue but just in case you think about sending money for one of his "bargains", don't.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    They're everywhere...so annoying. I almost got ripped off like a month ago when I tried to buy a 210mm LSD on eBay.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Best is reporting such scammers to the mods by clicking the report button and then we mods get into the mod forum a message and action is taken, this works even for PM's.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Please be especially careful when new registered members w/o any post send you PMs/ post in a search thread and mention to contact someone else. Today a member reported this and we banned the scammer and deleted all his posts:
    xxxx has reported a private message.
    Reason: Guy claims to be selling an e32 750il 3.15LSD, sent me pictures from an ebay ad for an e36 m3 LSD. Created the bimmerforums account the same day he sent me the message which was a bit suspicious to me.
    Sent by: xxxxxxxxx , Original Content: Email Micheal in Miami, He has a 210mm 3.15LSD for sale. Here's his email michaelrobert101970 @ gmail.com

There were a lot of posts/PMs by that scammer on the same day