Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan Blower stays on even after I shut the car off on my son 2002 540i

My Cars
    1999 5281
    i think he pretty much answered your questions with his post from 2103

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by ruskie39 View Post
    reading that post made my head hurt. Let us know what solves your problem.
    agreed^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher47 View Post
    Fixed it today!! It was the AC control unit itself. Popped it off, plugged the new one in, now I have glorious A/C in the Texas summer heat

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, new AC panel worked. Installed it myself, no problems...hardest thing was getting the plugs off the back of the old unit, was stuck on there good. Either way, everything lights up and A/C is blowing cold
    Great. Finally a solution without all the Macho mumbo jumbo tech talk these other guys doing but ain’t solving nothing. Just talking like they know something.

My Cars
    2001 530i
    I am late to the party, but I am posting this in case anyone else searches through these forums with these symptoms.

Blower would run with car completely off unless I disconnected battery or pulled fuse #9 in the glove box. Climate control unit displayed nothing. I happen to always carry a spare final stage resistor - replaced that had no effect. Went to junkyard and pulled a climate control unit - all fixed.

While the FSR (or FSU whatever you want to call it) can easily fail in these vehicles, it is NOT always that part that is the problem.

Side note is that the climate control unit I replaced had the MAX button on it and it was replaced with a unit that had the REST button on it. I have had no compatibility issues at all.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkpalmd View Post
    I am late to the party, but I am posting this in case anyone else searches through these forums with these symptoms.

Blower would run with car completely off unless I disconnected battery or pulled fuse #9 in the glove box. Climate control unit displayed nothing. I happen to always carry a spare final stage resistor - replaced that had no effect. Went to junkyard and pulled a climate control unit - all fixed.

While the FSR (or FSU whatever you want to call it) can easily fail in these vehicles, it is NOT always that part that is the problem.

Side note is that the climate control unit I replaced had the MAX button on it and it was replaced with a unit that had the REST button on it. I have had no compatibility issues at all.
    Yes, I had the same issue last year. Parked. Went inside. Came out a couple hours later and the fan was blowing full blast, but no lights on the HVAC unit, nothing. Couldn't stop it without disconnecting the battery. What a PITA. Got a used replacement unit from LKQOnline, swapped it over, problem solved. Leave it to BMW to design a part that, when it fails, doesn't just stop working, it finds a way to completely drain the battery. Much like when the CCV fails, sends manifold vacuum to the dipstick tube and sucks all the oil out of the crankcase. Just brilliant!
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    Bmw 540 i
    I’m having same issues ever fix yours!!??

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    My $20 aftermarket FSU is still working after almost a decade, longer than either of the BMW sourced parts (original and dealer replacement).

I did recently purchase an even less expensive spare so I would have one on hand. (I got lots of grief over those few hours of discomfort, even though it was far less inconvenient than a breakdown.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12