Thread: Got my key copied at a Bay Area locksmith

My Cars
    1997 328is

Got my key copied at a Bay Area locksmith

First of all, my car does have EWS. I took it to Rex Key in Berkeley and I'd like to share my experience. Standard key cutting fee for high security keys like for my E36 was $25.
    The keys are from my united auto security alarm. I emphasized that the keys did NOT need to start the car. I told them about some special key cutting instructions from the alarm company, but they told me that the company knew nothing about keys. They claim their machine is computerized and can cut a key to factory spec from a worn key. All I know is that the machine looked expensive and scanned my original. Then they took it out and cut the copy. Maybe it was my lack of people skills and obsession over details, maybe their attitude, or maybe a string a failures and my conviction that I could beat the system, but things started going south a little. I should have kept my mouth shut. Anyways, he told me to stop telling him how to do his job.
    First key was cut. I wanted to test it, of course. Tried the door, then I tried waving my original key over the ignition to make the new key work. I think then, he figured I was an idiot. We got back in the shop and the 2 guys there told me that I was wasting my money. The guy told me he felt bad and wouldn't charge, but his boss shot that idea down. Then he offered to charge 20. We talked about the key programmers and he shows me an AK90 key programmer, which I know can be had from eBay. I told him I wanted the 2nd key cut too, at which point things must have gotten worse, because he charged me a full $50, claiming that the machine cost so much to run each time.

Took a little fiddling with the chip placement, but I got it to work when I got home. The chip must be parallel to the key head for it to work.

Overall, the key works fine, and maybe it's back to factory spec (key is hardly worn). Price was a bit high, considering that $25 normally includes the blank. I didn't like their attitude, but thing probably would have worked better if I kept my mouth shut and didn't try starting the car.

EDIT: visited them again (March 2014). They were pretty nice to me. I guess I had a bit of an attitude or superiority complex.
    Last edited by DYL; 03-25-2014 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    So you had a blank key cut and swapped the chip into it from one of your existing keys? and you ended up paying $50? You can get a brand new key from the dealer for that and it has its own chip. No cutting or programming needed. Why would you go to a locksmith?

My Cars
    1997 328is
    No, $50 for 2 keys cut. These keys are patterned after the E46 diamond keys and came with my alarm. I would be all over getting my keys cut and programmed for 50 each at the dealer if they used my blanks. Dealer wanted 100 each for the plain head master key!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    95 M3
    That's not too bad. Maybe some event happened just before you got there, locksmiths are interesting fellows.

I've always wanted an e46 style key without having to own an e46. I'll go check em out.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGlint969 View Post
    That's not too bad. Maybe some event happened just before you got there, locksmiths are interesting fellows.

I've always wanted an e46 style key without having to own an e46. I'll go check em out.
    I'm sure this has happened many times at their shop: someone copies their key and it won't work. And then they want their money back. United auto security sells systems that come with these. The system was pricey though. Other sellers on eBay have similar keys, but I don't have any experience with them. I plan on having someone from E46fanatics program chips for my keys with the AK90. In the meantime, one of my new keys is rocking the valet key chip.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    $60 from my dealer for an E36 universal key for 98 328i.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    $50 bucks isn't too bad to have two keys cut. When I got my Unites Auto system I sent my key to have it cut.
    I remember that when I got mine it was when they had a cheaper type of E46 keys. Eventually they broke. Had them replaced to the new ones for free.
    United Auto IMO has good service.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    The reason why I did this write up is to help out any people in the bay area who needed a key copied. Rex Key did the job but it sure wasn't pleasant. Maybe I could have put up with it if I were getting a good deal.

They have an AK 90 key programmer too, but they have no idea how to use it. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Use this information wisely.

My Cars
    06 Cayenne
    Good price. if your fob is ugly , get a blank, cut insert chip and done. baller

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 405style View Post
    Good price. if your fob is ugly , get a blank, cut insert chip and done. baller
    The FOB is the chip.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Gonna have the keys programmed very soon if things go well, but my blanks did not come with chips. I'm short on time, and when I searched eBay, sellers were either international or charging way too much. Oddly, the cheap quick way to get blank chips may be buying blanks with chips in them. I believe chips are one time use only. If you are buying blanks, get the ones with chips in them already if you are planning to get them programmed.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Went back after trying the other locksmith couldn't cut keys for a different BMW (E46). They couldn't cut it either, since they didn't have the right cutter. They were much nicer this time, even though they couldn't cut the key. I'd go back there. They have really nice equipment too.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by DYL View Post
    Gonna have the keys programmed very soon if things go well, but my blanks did not come with chips. I'm short on time, and when I searched eBay, sellers were either international or charging way too much. Oddly, the cheap quick way to get blank chips may be buying blanks with chips in them. I believe chips are one time use only. If you are buying blanks, get the ones with chips in them already if you are planning to get them programmed.
    Yes chips are one time use. I have an AK90 that can program the chips. I have blank chips too. Wish I had a inexpensive source for cutting keys.

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    Subject: Keys....

My car came with only ONE key.....

Obviously no chip or anything... No alarm present, from what I can tell.. the car locks and unlocks without problems, and starts just fine... I can just simply get one of those blank fobs from ebay and have a shop here cut the key for me, correct? no need to worry about transferring chips or anything like that... is the e46 key the same in therms of shape? sorry if it is a "silly question"!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    If your car is 1995 production you have EWSII, which means a chip. The chip is very small and can be moulded inside.

Hell, even the tiny spare key has a chip.

- - - Updated - - -

When people say "E46" key, they probably mean diamond shaped key.

Since the early E46's still had the E36 style key and other cars got the diamond shaped one as well, E46 key is too ambiguous.

Problem with this key is that the housing is moulded closed. You can't replace the battery and because of this, neither transfer the chip from the E36. Well with cutting and glueing, but basically it f*cks up the key and never looks right.

You're better off getting the E36 Master "keyfob" key, which can be normally opened and closed infinite times.

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    Mine is a 12/94 production... not sure if it makes a difference, but I dont see anywhere, any signs of it having any sort of security system...

And yes, I was looking at getting a blank like the first one you show.. the diamond one..

Now, per the spec sheet by vin number found online...

does that mean I have a chip in that tiny super thin, "unopenable" key???

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    EWSII (first with chip) is listed as from 1/95 production, which I guess is later than model year 1995 (which is from 9/94).

In that case you have EWSI that has no chip. Then you can use any key as long as it uses the same style blade. Only early diamond keys have the same blade as E36. Then came the "reversed" blades.

IG:

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    EWSII (first with chip) is listed as from 1/95 production, which I guess is later than model year 1995 (which is from 9/94).

In that case you have EWSI that has no chip. Then you can use any key as long as it uses the same style blade. Only early diamond keys have the same blade as E36. Then came the "reversed" blades.
    I guess that list is really what was AVAILABLE at the time, because mine does have the leather steering wheel, airbag for passenger, heated seats, fog lights, A/C. cruise and the cd changer... I have not seen the HiFi buttono anywhere, so I assume I didnt have that... but I do have 10 speakers, although I am not sure if that means anything. The stock amplifier came on all cars? I havent looked behind the matt that is behind the rear seats, but seems like that was the original position for it?

Thank you for your expertise, man...

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    It has nothing to do with available options, which was a bunch from the get go.

With "listed" I meant the EWS technical doc explaining all versions.

Just for the record, these are my 4 factory keys and even that tiny spare one has a chip.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    $190 for a concierge key from the dealer here in Aus, and god only knows how much for one that's fully functioning. I've been living with only one key, but have my VIN handy in case of any emergency. Considering the condition of my car, its quite surprising PO's have been so negligent with the spare keys!
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    When I bought one of the above Master keys, which was missing on my 328i.

I paid €150 for it in 2006.

IG:

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo24441 View Post
    Subject: Keys....

My car came with only ONE key.....

Obviously no chip or anything... No alarm present, from what I can tell.. the car locks and unlocks without problems, and starts just fine... I can just simply get one of those blank fobs from ebay and have a shop here cut the key for me, correct? no need to worry about transferring chips or anything like that... is the e46 key the same in therms of shape? sorry if it is a "silly question"!
    Those who have car key fobs , how can they easily program it.Few days ago i also bought a blank key from a store and cut down by Locksmith Hollywood near my office. But when it comes to program the key fob locksmith's unable to program it. So how can you get that program and in what way can you please mention here.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    If your car has a manufacture date that is prior to 1/95 you should not need to program it to start the car. If you have an after market alarm system you might need to program it to work with the alarm. You have to check with the alarm manufacturer for that. I assume that only fobs/keys that were originally supplied with the alarm will work.

If your car has a manufscture date of 1/95 or later then your key has to have a chip installed into it. That chip needs to be programmed. If you buy a key from the dealer it will come with a chip that is already programmed and the key will already be cut for yout car. If you have an old key for your car you can transfer the chip into a new key.

Some people have a tool to program a blank chip. I can't remember the name of it. I bought one several years ago. They work great. Mine is packed away at the moment since I'm in the process of moving. If I recall it's called a BK-90 or something like that. It requires a blank chip and your EWS module. Process takes about 3 minutes.

so the question is....what's the manufacture date of your car?