Thread: 1996 BMW 318is M44 Engine Wiring Harness Question

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318is

1996 BMW 318is M44 Engine Wiring Harness Question

I just completed replacing my starter. Putting everything back together, I found that I have one connector coming from the harness that is bolted to the top of the Lower Intake that doesn't have a place to plug in. I marked all wires that I disconnected and I marked this one "Front" but now I don't have anything to plug it in to. My question is are there any of these connectors from the wiring harness that don't have anything to plug in to? Maybe a connector for an option/accessory that my car doesn't have? The fact that I marked it tells me that I unplugged it from something but I have scoured the entire engine and there is nothing within reach. It is a 2 wire connector with one red and one brown wire. The wire is about 6 to 8 inches long. PLEASE HELP!!!

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    I am assuming this is one of the wires connected to the squid? The little black junction box on the top of the lower manifold.

There are some DIYs floating around on removing your intake that list what all the wires go to. It is a confusing mess to figure out what goes where if something doesn't get labelled correctly.

Is the wire coming from the squid or supposed to be going to it? That will narrow it down some.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318is
    Thanks for your reply. It hangs down from the squid and has the "wire spring" type connector. Any chance that it was never connected to anything?

My Cars
    325iC
    You will have to post a picture to get any real help

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318is
    Ok. Ill get one now. Stand by please.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I attach a .JPEG to this thread? Sorry, I'm a newbie. I have a pic ready.

- - - Updated - - -

The connectors I have accounted for are:

The 2 that connect to the side of the squid (they come in to the squid; not from it)
    The 2 that connect to the front of the upper intake
    The connector under the oil filter
    The round connector at the front of the block
    The wires that connect to the starter

- - - Updated - - -

http://m1361.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/szerszent/20130812_191637_zps59b1c75a.jpg.html?o=0

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    Very doubtful that it wasn't connected to something. Your M44 is slightly different in wiring than my M42, however, you can download a pdf of all the wiring diagrams specific to your vehicle at the link below. It also contains useful diagrams at the end showing all the connection locations. There is a guy on 318ti.org selling much cleaner copies of these scans that have also been pdf bookmarked.

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

From memory (and my M42):

Things that connected to a plug on the squid:
    Knock Sensors x 2
    Cam Sensor
    Crank Sensor

Things that have wires from the squid:
    Oil Sensor (mounts below the filter)
    Engine Temp Sensors x 2 (side of head below lower intake)
    TPS
    MAF
    Inlet air temp sensor (maybe, my inlet air temp is built into the AFM)
    Emissions Canister (down by the alternator)
    ICV (between the lower and upper manifold)
    Intake Air Valve (the thing that spins in the intake manifold to change the length of the runners?)

That is as far as I had it removed, it also connects to the starter and alternator I think off the bottom of the squid.

Hope this helps! A study of the electrical diagrams and schematics should answer your question.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318is
    Thank you Wake44 for the schematic. The 2 wire connector colors are Red/White and Brown /Blue. The schematic if I'm reading it correctly says it goes to the "Intake Resonance Changeover Valve". I'm now researching to determine what/where that is. My problem now is that there is no connector in range. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Wake44, thanks for your great help. With the schematic you sent, I was able to find the hidden connector (bottom of lower intake) . Thank you very much!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, Wake74!

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    That is the name of the intake valve thing I tried to describe above but couldn't remember the official name of. That hole squid thing seems like an engineering design flaw. They could have used a few more feet of cable at the factory and not located it in the middle of the intake making maintenance a nightmare.

Glad I could be of help.

My Cars
    98 Estoril M3/4/5

same issue

guys. having the same problem. an extra plug after changing my starter. wire colors are the same too. Can you give me an idea where this plugs in exactly. Stuck until I figure this out.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318is 4 cylinde
    Question,, i just replaced the lower hose connector on a 1994 Bmw 318is . Therefore I had to take both top and bottom intake off, unplugged squid sensors from there rightful position.. now that I’ve replaced the coolant connector I’m having a difficult time trying to remember where the sensors go from the horness/squid that sit on top of the bottom intake everything seems confusing now .. can some one please help me.. I’ve been at this for damn near a whole week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk