Thread: Getting axle back into hub?

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4

Getting axle back into hub?

I also posted about this in the E36 subforum, but thought I'd post over here, too.

I've lost track of how many hours I have spent laboring, trying to get this rear axle back into the hub. (It's probably at least a cumulative total 10 hours. ) I replaced a bad wheel bearing and pushed the hub back on, but I cannot, for the life of me, push this axle back in. I've mostly been going at it using 2x4s and a dead blow hammer. It gets in a little bit, and it appears to be straight and the splines are lined up... but it just won't move any farther in.

Anyone that's done this before that would like to come over and help me out? I'll gladly pay you in cash, beer, etc.

My Cars
    1989 E30 325i
    pb blast it
    duh

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    PB or grease it. For quicker results, warm up the hub, PB blast it, and the grease residue will coat the splines and soften any rust in there to have the axle pop right back into place. Also, one you get a couple or so threads in, get the wheel nut and use a 1/2" breaker bar and pull the rest of the axle through and voila. Work smart, not hard.

And on another note, can I haz your em three see-Dan?

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Where you live? I've done a ton of them
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    I used a wire brush on it then put some lube on it. Went right in for me.

My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Update....

I've done everything everyone has suggested in this thread, a thread in the E36 section, and elsewhere on the web. Cleaning, wire brush, soaking in PB blaster, extra lube, heating the hub, freezing the axle, small file to remove burrs in splines, etc. No luck.

It seemed like the axle splines were a little damaged, so in desperation, I said F' it and ordered a new axle. Still no luck.

WTF is the problem? Good lord......

For the love of gawd, someone please let me pay you to come get this axle in. Please.

(For those that can't see my location on the mobile app, I'm in Mechanicsburg, PA.)
    Last edited by BradR127; 08-28-2013 at 05:30 PM.

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Try to rotate the axles a bit while pushing it in. make sure the axle splines are parallel to the hub. I think thats the main reason why its not going in. You may need someone else to help so you can angle the splines perfectly into the hub. i used a rubber mallet at the other end to bang in the splines.

I had the same problem and it took 40 mins until it finally went in some. After that give, i used a 2x4 and a rubber mallet to get the rest of it in. Once you have enough thread showing, you can put on the nut and tighten it so it pulls the axle in.
    Last edited by hc1001; 08-29-2013 at 11:37 AM.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    if it's like my e39 (sounds like it), I chased the splines with a razor, wire brushed it, then coated the whole thing with anti-seize. Both sides went right in...
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    seen a e30 325ix front axle do this. buddy of mine has all the tools an what not an installed all new stuff everywhere. the axle needed to be pulled in, he had the bmw tool for this, but there is no threaded hole for this on the e36 half shafts so one would have to press them in from behind. c-clamps or an all thread contraption an steel with holes cut in it, trailing arm out of the car an on a table is the only way i can see you getting anywhere.

get that trailing arm off to start. its not hard, just mark your rtab pocket an camber bolt if present for alignment when you drop it. leave the control arms attached to diff, those bolts suck to deal with. leave the brake caliper hose be, just remove the two 10mm's on the trailing arm an set it aside. mind the sensors and its out an every thing else is still together. maybe you can get the axle in if everything is strait and gravity can help. if not it needs smushed in with some kind of threaded tool.
    Last edited by scoobiedoo2029; 09-14-2013 at 03:16 AM.

My Cars
    335D, E30 318ci,E30 M3
    Are you 100% sure you got the correct hub!?

My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstngcobr761 View Post
    Are you 100% sure you got the correct hub!?
    It is the original hub. I put it back in after replacing the wheel bearing.

My Cars
    335D, E30 318ci,E30 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BradR127 View Post
    Ahhh okay obviously somewhere along the spline section there is something holding it up.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    what's the part number for the spline part? Is it part of the drive flange hub? 33 41 1 095 774 thanks.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    what's the part number for the spline part? Is it part of the drive flange hub? 33 41 1 095 774 thanks.
    Good post, Ed. I will provide the picture:

409.png

01 Drive flange hub 2 33411095774 $110.11

Looks like this in person:

33411095774.jpg

If you got the wrong part, you're going to be wasting your time and hurting your half-shaft as well.
    Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M-Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M-Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
    My previous work:
    My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
    My 98 M3 and 03 530i Restoration Thread

My Cars
    1995 M3,1999 M3,2003 M5

Axle/Hub PITA

Quote Originally Posted by BradR127 View Post
    What was your solution for this? Having the same issue after replacing my wheel bearings. Passenger side went fine, driver side is being a nightmare. Did everything you had tried, (cold, heat, cleaned, anti-seize, grease, etc.) Hit the shaft so hard I eventually pushed the hub back out of the bearing, destroying it in the process so now I'm back to square one.
    I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.

My Cars
    1995 M3,1999 M3,2003 M5
    I ended up replacing the bearing and hub. Was able to salvage the original half shaft by carefully filing the splines.
    I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If they were aftermarket Generic replica replacement parts, then there was the OP's problem.
    Precision replacement parts require Precision manufacturing + quality control,
    something non-OE or non-OEM parts are sorely lacking!

My Cars
    325 and 328

A solution

ok so Today I had the same issues. My axle would not go into the hub. I followed everything here and nothing worked. I spend about 6 hrs all day banging and greasing etc... Finally, I took the strut completely out. jack the hub up and align the axle straight. Steering wheel in lock position. It was only then I was able to give 5 solid bangs to the hub when I noticed the axle was starting to work its way in. As soon as i got enough treads to put the bolt on I stopped and hooked everything back together. Next you want to get your big 36 mm socket and use a compressor to lightly turn the bolt. I set mine to 50 lbs of torque. keep the gun on it until you see the bolt head line up with the axle. then go back and double check that all your other bolts are nicely secured. put the wheel back on, when the car is on the ground, torque the centre axle bolt to 300 lbs.

Well, Tomorrow I'll test drive my car. hopefully, I didn't damage the axle with all that banging.

I just thought I'd share my experience on what worked for me.