Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Just pulled th engine out of my 550...

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Fight! Fight!, where is white94RX when you need him... He can answer this. Mine personally has carbon fiber sleeves so there!! :P Anyway im just about to button up my transmission now that i got the bolts i accidentally threw out. Bummer, they werent cheap.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Haha, what's the saying about fighting on the internet..?? lol

Anyways.. I still need to give T-hoff a call. I found rings for the 4.4l version for $200 by the way, finally. They were indeed the part number I posted earlier afterall.

Got any new pictures of the transmission??

My Cars
    Sorry guys. Lol. I don't even know what the cylinders are lined with. Although, I do have a three foot stack of training manuals that probably has the answer somewhere... maybe I can find my E65 book
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Spoke to t-hoff, they don't have the "special stuff" for conditioning these cylinders, ah well. Their owner wasn't aware of anyone that did but he thought someone in Charlotte may know how to do it. Extremely nice guys though and I am still planning on taking my heads to them

So, the decision now is either try it myself with methods used on some other boards, or not do it at all and just go with it. I've done worse.. but that was on an LT1, slight difference there. Guess I'll call around Charlotte also and see if anyone knows any more

I am thinking I'll do some testing on the old block and see what it looks like--I have read that there seems to be a different, almost dull, appearance that happens when you get it right. Meh, it's worth the $50 for the AN30 stuff from Sunnen just to try it

edit: I went ahead and ordered the AN30 compound from Sunnen (available at Goodson.com)
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-07-2013 at 04:26 PM.

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Whew, back from the dead. Buttoned up the transmission after getting the last bolts today for the mechatronic. I don't have any more pics because i was i a rush just to put it back together. I will try and take some with the car being assembled. I know BMW says that the engine is not rebuild-able, i wonder if this is why. You might try bringing the piston to the top of the cylinder, mark the top of the piston in relation to the block, then mark each ring in relation to that mark. This way you can remove the rings, put them on the 2 good old piston heads, align to marks, and put them in so they match up exactly where they were. If all of the cylinder walls are good then i wouldn't mess with too much.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by kaineb View Post
    Whew, back from the dead. Buttoned up the transmission after getting the last bolts today for the mechatronic. I don't have any more pics because i was i a rush just to put it back together. I will try and take some with the car being assembled. I know BMW says that the engine is not rebuild-able, i wonder if this is why. You might try bringing the piston to the top of the cylinder, mark the top of the piston in relation to the block, then mark each ring in relation to that mark. This way you can remove the rings, put them on the 2 good old piston heads, align to marks, and put them in so they match up exactly where they were. If all of the cylinder walls are good then i wouldn't mess with too much.
    Didn't realize BMW considered them not rebuildable--very strange since they sell oversize pistons and undersized bearings, but I suppose that's BMW for you (on the 545i anyways, may be whole different story on the 550i)

Good idea on marking the pistons/rings
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-07-2013 at 09:42 PM.

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    yo Penxel.... Car is at the threshold of the garage door waiting to come in tomorrow for her refreshed heart. Will take some pics. How's your project coming along? I saw the video of the crank bolt, i told you it was crazy tight!

Later...

My Cars
    2004 545i
    yo Penxel.... Car is at the threshold of the garage door waiting to come in tomorrow for her refreshed heart. Will take some pics. How's your project coming along? I saw the video of the crank bolt, i told you it was crazy tight!

Later...
    The crazy part is that was the LOOSE one compared to the other. My dad knocked the camera over after I had done a video of getting the one out on the old motor and I lost the video. I was literally hanging in the air at the end of that pipe before it popped--I thought I had snapped something at first.

That sounds pretty awesome on it going back in! I can't wait for mine to go in (just the engine going back together would be nice at this point). I saw someone on another forum that pulled the engine/tranny out of their 750i and they did it by pulling the front bumper off.. apparently the whole beam that goes behind the bumper unbolts and comes off leaving the whole front wide open. Gave him room to pull everything straight out the front, wish I had thought of doing it that way

Get some pics of yours going back in for sure!

Mine isn't moving much at this point. I've just been cleaning up parts at night, reading about re-assembly of the engine and waiting on parts. I had a hiccup that came up last Friday while I was on the way to t-hoff's shop so I had to ditch that plan and go somewhere else, so I still haven't even taken everything to their shop yet. Basically I just wanted them to resurface block/heads and go through the heads like you had done on yours. I'm 95% sure I could put it back together how it is right now and everything would be fine, but I'd rather them tell me I'm good to go. Not much room for error with these type of head gaskets.

Also a few parts I ordered were back ordered from Germany so it'll be early December before I get those. I have like two weeks vacation time I have to use before the end of the year, so I am thinking I may take a few weeks off in December and have at it. After I get the engine back together I think I can put it in relatively quickly if I stay on it for a few days in a row.

Here's some pics

"new" engine, cleaning the deck last weekend--not done yet but it's getting clean. I am still going to take it to a machine shop to make sure it's straight/slick enough

Lower timing cover after pressure washing--going to clean it better than this but I was happy considering how little time it took

Old main bearings in the new engine--all of them looked about that good

Other side had some signs of wear but nothing crazy

And lastly, here's the piston from the cylinder that was cracked in the old engine--second ring is frozen solid. I smacked it pretty hard and it won't move

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    I didn't get to bring the car in yet and start. It requires that i put the engine in before the car can come in fully and i need my neighbors help to do it. Takes a few hours but i hope for next week. As far as what you are doing, you cant put the old bearing and such in the new car, i was told by the machine shop that they get out of round as the engine wears to the components around it. You have to keep the internals of the new engine together and in the same locations. Or you have to get it all machined with new components and this presents a problem since it looks like the cylinders are indeed coated. That i why i suggested you mark the new rings exactly where they were located pertaining to the orientation of the cylinder wall and orientation on the piston head. Replacing 2 pistons will likely not affect the engine if you use the newer rings put back exactly where they were. If not you are going to likely see compression and wear issues as they too wear out of round with the cylinder wall. I would not do what you are attempting, sorry to be a downer. I would run it y T-Hoff as well.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Don't mean to change the subject on you, but I had a question from someone else doing a rebuild on his 750 that you will know more about than me

On the valve guides, I think I remember reading that BMW does not make replacements, so custom pieces have to be made and the old ones have to be basically drilled out. Am I remembering that correctly?

(edit: also, I have changed directions a bit since I last posted a full update--all new bearings are going in, block/crank/rods/pistons will be checked out by a machine shop to make sure they are at least balanced and nothing totally out of whack, and pistons are going to all be replaced with a set that came out of a low mileage X5. Unfortunately t-hoff did not know much at all about cylinder prep on these blocks, but should be fine to do everything else. If it grenades then hey, at least everyone will know not to do what I did )

Of course I am waiting on ONE bearing (literally one side of one bearing) to make it over from Germany right now before ECS can ship the rest of the parts I need. That + machine work and I should be ready to see what's going to happen
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-15-2013 at 11:45 PM.

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    BMW indeed does not sell the guides. T-Hoff purchases them from a guy who custom makes the blanks and then T-Hoff drill them to each valves tolerance. Of course since they are worn each will be a little different. When i went to pick up the heads i asked him to show me and they were very nicely done.

But ya I'm a little worried on your block internals. I hope it works out after all of this.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    BMW indeed does not sell the guides. T-Hoff purchases them from a guy who custom makes the blanks and then T-Hoff drill them to each valves tolerance. Of course since they are worn each will be a little different. When i went to pick up the heads i asked him to show me and they were very nicely done.

But ya I'm a little worried on your block internals. I hope it works out after all of this.
    THanks--I'll just tell the guy rebuilding his 750 to give t-hoff a call, maybe they can give him some direction. I'm not sure if it's fairly normal now to make custom guides or if we're just lucky to have them in the area

I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little worried after putting this much time into it, but all I can do is try to finish it the right way and see what happens. Unfortunately there just aren't many home mechanic rebuilds on these yet, so there isn't a whole lot to go on

My Cars
    2004 545i
    I took the block, crank and heads to t-hoff today. Pretty sure Robert is genuinely one of those guys that has forgotten more about engines than I'll ever know. Great pricing up there too from what I was told today.

They did a basic vacuum test on the heads while I was there and results were good. They also checked for straightness and could not find a spot off even .001", so I doubt they'll even need to re-surface them. They are going to thoroughly clean everything, pull all the oil plugs, etc. out and clean all the passages. Also they'll replace valve seals and check valve guides for wear. If worn out or close to worn out, I asked that they call me and we'll figure out what to do next. And finally they are also going to drill the holes I need to line up with my exhaust manifold on that one cylinder

On the crank it would really be fine to use as is, but they are going to do basically a final polish just so it's as slick as possible. The cost was low so I figure why not

On the block they are going to pull all the oil plugs, thoroughly clean it and check the deck to make sure it's straight. I asked them not to do any machining unless it was really needed. While I was there they also could not get a .001" feeler gauge under a straightedge so I think a good cleaning is all it really needs but they are going to check it more thoroughly to be sure

Overall, it looks like all the parts are in good shape. He agreed the cylinders were in great shape but was not all that familiar with Alusil, so I'll still need to do the final polishing process myself

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Hey Penzel,

Very cool, im glad they can do most of the work for you and i hope it works out to last many years. They are good guys down there and know their stuff, Robert will even show you things on the engine and explain how items work if you ask.

Tonight i got the rear main assembly on and the flex plate as well. So its officially go time tomorrow. She is coming back in for reassembly. I sat in the car and put XM on for a few mins and forgot what a nice car it is. Been under a cover for some time. Can wait to start it up and drive. I just ordered my last expensive piece, the torque converter. I hope this car gives me many years of good service with a partially rebuild engine and a rebuilt trans. When this is all back together we have to get a celebratory burger!

Oh i wouldn't hone or clean up those cylinders without talking to someone who knows better. You may cause catastrophic failure if its not done correctly. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by kaineb; 11-18-2013 at 11:55 PM.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Hey Penzel,

Very cool, im glad they can do most of the work for you and i hope it works out to last many years. They are good guys down there and know their stuff, Robert will even show you things on the engine and explain how items work if you ask.

Tonight i got the rear main assembly on and the flex plate as well. So its officially go time tomorrow. She is coming back in for reassembly. I sat in the car and put XM on for a few mins and forgot what a nice car it is. Been under a cover for some time. Can wait to start it up and drive. I just ordered my last expensive piece, the torque converter. I hope this car gives me many years of good service with a partially rebuild engine and a rebuilt trans. When this is all back together we have to get a celebratory burger!

Oh i wouldn't hone or clean up those cylinders without talking to someone who knows better. You may cause catastrophic failure if its not done correctly. Just my 2c.
    I have been trying to stay out of mine--I'll be missing it even more if I sit in it again. The Honda is getting old for sure. I know what you mean, mine has been under a car cover for what seems like a year now. Sure am glad I bought that cover though, I almost didn't buy one

I agree on getting more info on the cylinders. Messing that up would be bad. I am not touching them (and told t-hoff not to touch them) until I have more info on the process. From what I can tell a normal hone will destroy them in no time, the correct process is more of a conditioning process than it is a honing process. I at least have the old block to experiment on, but still..

There is a shop in California that does work on these blocks regularly, so I am going to call out there to pick his brain about the whole process. From what I can tell the owner seems quite helpful and posts a ton of videos on how to do stuff like this, so I am hoping he can point me in the right direction.

edit: In other news, I have a picture that I thought was hilarious of all my engine parts in the back of a Honda on the way to the machine shop..
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-19-2013 at 02:59 PM.

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Well you will definitely have to post that pic. I dropped the engine in and it gave me a little trouble getting around the steering rack. Had to pull the trans cooler lines and move them and rustle the engine around in the bay. Waiting for my Torque Converter and i will begin making progress. Some pics below.

74930_760723930611878_1410312650_n.jpg

1459927_760723923945212_757144377_n.jpg

1458431_760723937278544_1274514886_n.jpg

1461630_760723933945211_1827873229_n.jpg

1452261_760723927278545_1937172844_n.jpg

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Well you will definitely have to post that pic. I dropped the engine in and it gave me a little trouble getting around the steering rack. Had to pull the trans cooler lines and move them and rustle the engine around in the bay. Waiting for my Torque Converter and i will begin making progress. Some pics below.

74930_760723930611878_1410312650_n.jpg

1459927_760723923945212_757144377_n.jpg

1458431_760723937278544_1274514886_n.jpg

1461630_760723933945211_1827873229_n.jpg

1452261_760723927278545_1937172844_n.jpg

Nice! Putting the transmission in from underneath then? For some reason I thought you had pulled them out together, but maybe that was someone else.

Do you mind sharing where you got the torque converter/price? I am looking at ordering one as well. Rebuilt?

Here is the picture--I thought I had a better one where you could actually tell it was a Honda. Oh well, I'll take one on the return trip

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Yes, putting in from underneath. This is the BMW recommended way. I wouldnt trust that kind of weight on the end of the block with the way that the hoist points are on this engine. The old engines are build into the block.

I got my TC from thectsc.com. Mine was darn expensive because its a 550. Yours would be about half the cost and its on their site. $1000/$550. They are either ZF rebuilt or new if they don't have rebuilt ones. I wouldn't trust anyone else with a rebuild, so i decided to go for the real deal.

Keep those pics coming.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Gotcha--yeah I had been looking somewhere else for a rebuilt one and it was about $400. No point in even looking anywhere else if you can get a ZF one for even close to the same price IMO.

Guess I need to order some fluid too while I'm at it. Gah, this damn car...

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Got my Torque Converter today. Looks new though i'm not sure if its rebuilt or brand new. Either way at 130k miles i think it was good insurance. Just have to get up the energy to get that transmission in now!

1461455_763382750345996_120240218_n.jpg

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Agreed--haven't seen a whole lot of stories of them failing but still probably worth changing

My Cars
    I'm ready to hear about the finished product! Even at the dealership, I've never heard of anyone doing as extensive of a rebuild as you have. I'm glad to have been at least a little help with your project. When will it be back on the road?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I'm ready to hear about the finished product! Even at the dealership, I've never heard of anyone doing as extensive of a rebuild as you have. I'm glad to have been at least a little help with your project. When will it be back on the road?
    Woa... hold on there... Mom is this you? ha ha. Na, its so much work and its just me doing it. I work 3x 13's on the weekend then i have a business during the week. So my time is limited, but I think i am doing well considering. Ya its been a heck of a road and ive gained even more knowledge. I used to be the man on the I6's. The N62TU is a nice engine, though just a little bit more complicated than an M50

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Just picked up all my stuff from t-hoff. Will post more pics and detail later.

One bearing missing and I can start assembly! Well, after more cleaning that is

My Cars
    2004 545i
    And some pictures:

Clean!

Crank polished

New valve seals--he said guides were fine. Not brand new, but well within spec, so I left them

Exhaust/SAS cleaned out
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-28-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast