Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front coilovers, front bearings and rear adjustable links...

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project

Front coilovers, front bearings and rear adjustable links...

I think I'm ready to go....tomorrow install...
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project

Okay, dropped it a bit too much. It is too dark, but will take more tomorrow before I raise the front.

In the process, I broke my tie-rod tool and one swaybar link. Damn, should have never let me neighor borrow it, jacked it. The took threw me off my game and I had to work around the issue. I was able to change both bearings, one shock, and urethaned the thrust bushings. It just too too long.

One odd thing, not really odd...the drivers side is higher than the passenger side still. I read that the drivers side is higher....just need ot know from others. Damn, I thought this was only a Land Rover issue.
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    what coilovers are they ??

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    what coilovers are they ??
    Schneidmann.....

Last shot for now, I will take another shot after I raise and align....

Last edited by wheelgarage; 03-03-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    01 540it Sport/BrabusCLK
    Looks great, you color was my 2nd choice behind blue and my silver was my 3rd choice.

You should add some solid black BMW center caps with silver lettering (not black & white or carbon) on your wheels, it will complete the look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLK-BMW-Black-Style-Wheel-Center-Hub-Caps-68mm-and-Steering-Wheel-Sticker-/160923369961?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item2577c7c1e9&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by CLKFAN; 03-04-2013 at 02:41 PM.

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelgarage View Post

Last shot for now, I will take another shot after I raise and align....
    That looks SWEET!!! Why are you raising it, looks great as it is? Thanks for the heads up on one side being higher, I was wondering what was wrong with my car for a while there.

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKFAN View Post

You should add some solid black BMW center caps with silver lettering (not black & white or carbon) on your wheels, it will complete the look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLK-BMW-Blac...c7c1e9&vxp=mtr
    I tried!!!! I could not find ANY in 60mm. I got the OEM colors, which should be in this week. Lets see how they look.....

Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    That looks SWEET!!! Why are you raising it, looks great as it is?
    It was way too low. It didn't look and feel balanced. Plus, it helped the front end align.

Last edited by wheelgarage; 03-04-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    99 528iT
    Where did you get the swaybar links?
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy

DUDE! That is one sexy looking touring! We so need to set up a meet for Nor.Cal.

By the way, are you going to be getting the rear bumper as well?

My Cars
    e36M3, e39540iT, e12530i
    looking good. yours is so slick, a roof rail delete might look good? just a suggestion. I would also be interested to see what some tints + chrome trim looks like. Either way, yours is coming out very nice. looking forward to updates...

My Cars
    C43/55,S4 Stage III gone
    One odd thing, not really odd...the drivers side is higher than the passenger side still. I read that the drivers side is higher....just need ot know from others. Damn, I thought this was only a Land Rover issue.
    my rear drivers side is higher than my rear passenger side.... about 2-3 finger gap, whereas the passenger side normally tucks. After I start the car in the morning the rear passenger side lift due to the air spring and ends up being a finger gap. Drivers side doesn't change and is still 2-3 finger gaps.... I've tried adusting the links separately to no avail.....

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    The Touring is turning out very well,, I love the color.. I agree with different wheel center caps. I think the carbon fiber would be a nice accent... I would due a light tint on the windows and leave the trim chrome...No roof rail delete though..Maybe the rear roof spoiler. call it done... The more I see this color the more I like it... That classic German Car look,,

In the end its your ride so due what ya want,looks like you know what your doing

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoRotate View Post
    Where did you get the swaybar links?
    Local neighborhood Orielly's. I bought their house brand.

DUDE! That is one sexy looking touring! We so need to set up a meet for Nor.Cal.

By the way, are you going to be getting the rear bumper as well?
    I will be in the area on the 16th for a family party. I plan to head over to Nelson's or meet him somewhere....depends on our wives....

Quote Originally Posted by Flycaper View Post
    looking good. yours is so slick, a roof rail delete might look good? just a suggestion. I would also be interested to see what some tints + chrome trim looks like. Either way, yours is coming out very nice. looking forward to updates...
    Roof rack is staying, I have plans.....

I was going to do the tint this past weekend, but my wifes needs new brakes on her LR3. Since we have a reduced fleet, I need that car readily available (for the kids).

Dont know how long the trim will stay chrome....

Quote Originally Posted by djkev View Post
    my rear drivers side is higher than my rear passenger side.... about 2-3 finger gap, whereas the passenger side normally tucks. After I start the car in the morning the rear passenger side lift due to the air spring and ends up being a finger gap. Drivers side doesn't change and is still 2-3 finger gaps.... I've tried adusting the links separately to no avail.....
    I kept the links the same. When the car is in motion, it does look like it evens itself out. The SLS module is new, so I think everything is normal...I hope. At least it isn't as bad a my old Land Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    The Touring is turning out very well,, I love the color.. I agree with different wheel center caps. I think the carbon fiber would be a nice accent... I would due a light tint on the windows and leave the trim chrome...No roof rail delete though..Maybe the rear roof spoiler. call it done... The more I see this color the more I like it... That classic German Car look,,

In the end its your ride so due what ya want,looks like you know what your doing
    Thanks...

Lets see how it looks with the stock colored Roundel. If it doesn't look right, I will definitely change it. I will be going with the darker tint, due to weather in my area, for my kids and the black leather interior.

Yup, roof spoiler is on the list for a future mod.....after a rear bumper. This car still needs some issues I need to take care of.....
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Those who suggest a roof rack delete have obviously never seen one without the rack. They look hideous without them.

My Cars
    1991318i 1988M5 1999E39
    Looking good John! I say go for a light tint.

I'm deleting my roof rack.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Those who suggest a roof rack delete have obviously never seen one without the rack. They look hideous without them.
    I completely agree Brandon. They end up looking like Panel Vans.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwsone01 View Post
    Looking good John! I say go for a light tint.

I'm deleting my roof rack.

Don't do it man! Trust me on this. In fact, I won't let you. I will tie myself to the racks till you change your mind!

Now.... about the 16th

My Cars
    1991318i 1988M5 1999E39
    HA! @michael!!!

I liked it on my 3 series...maybe I can photoshop first!

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Yeah...me too.

Cant believe you talked me out of it....what a nice ride....

Quote Originally Posted by bmwsone01 View Post
    HA! @michael!!!

I liked it on my 3 series...maybe I can photoshop first!

Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 AMG
    How's the handling? I'm thinking of doing the same. Are there any drawbacks to using links vs the computer? I'd imagine using links is causing the bags to compress more causing more pressure inside the bags... Has anyone's rear airbags ever blown?

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    I think the only one with roof delete that looks good is DennisCooper,s white touring...

You would think it would make the car look great. Lower Cleaner lines ?? Just dosnt work,,,

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsi View Post
    How's the handling? I'm thinking of doing the same. Are there any drawbacks to using links vs the computer? I'd imagine using links is causing the bags to compress more causing more pressure inside the bags... Has anyone's rear airbags ever blown?
    Handling is good, but I need to replace the rear shocks. The links do not have any side effects, since it is controlled by the computer anyway. The links just trick the computer. On BMW's and Merc's, I haven't heard of any issues.

On the newer Land Rovers, there are a few companies that MFG links to raise the suspension. Also, there are no known issues of any blow outs.
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Funny thing... yesterday on my car, I noticed the Passenger side was higher than the Driver's side - go figure! .

Need to reprogram the rear SLS. Anyone know how to reset the rear to stock?

My Cars
    03 540iT M Sport
    Sorry for the highjack....

So how user-friendly is this INPA/DIS thing? I am not a computer genius, and want to be able to lower the rear of my car and turn my DRLs off, too. Is it that complicated to use? Do I just buy one of those $30 cables from China off ebay and download some software to a PC and done? Programming and downloading and installing stuff and then finding where I downloaded it to kinda scares me.
    2003 540iT M Sport, Black Sapphire on Black, CWP, DSP, rear shades, Climate Comfort windshield SOLD
    1988 325i 4dr/5sp, Lachssilber Metallic on black leather, stock
    2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel, 160k and I replaced the alternator. Once.
    2005 Toyota Land Cruiser, Galactic Gray Mica

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Funny thing... yesterday on my car, I noticed the Passenger side was higher than the Driver's side - go figure! .

Need to reprogram the rear SLS. Anyone know how to reset the rear to stock?
    I know a guy named Danny, that is a novice at all this. He has all the software versions. He can possibly help. Let me see if he can find the directory within the software to reset it...or if it is available to reset.

Quote Originally Posted by motorade1 View Post
    Sorry for the highjack....

So how user-friendly is this INPA/DIS thing? I am not a computer genius, and want to be able to lower the rear of my car and turn my DRLs off, too. Is it that complicated to use? Do I just buy one of those $30 cables from China off ebay and download some software to a PC and done? Programming and downloading and installing stuff and then finding where I downloaded it to kinda scares me.
    No. Normally, it needs to be done by the dealer service. It is BMW software. As mentioned above, I will ask the guy to see if he can do it. From experience, there are many programs specific to some models. And the other difficult thing is, some of the programming is in German.
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    1999 540it

Regarding Roof Rail Delete

It's a matter of opinion and we all are entitled to one ;-).....it's different but by no means hideous...:-)
    Last edited by mron512; 03-10-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    current:99'540 Touring,00'740is-retired:72'3.0cs,73'3.0si,77'320i,91'M5,99'MCoupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast