Thread: Those infamous plastic clips on the tops of the SLS airbags

My Cars
    e60 M5; e39 525it

Those infamous plastic clips on the tops of the SLS airbags

So a couple of weeks ago, I moved some top soil bags in my touring... everything went great. The SLS worked as it should.

The next morning I notice my rear had bottomed out, so I turn the key and the pump brings the rear back up no problem.
    It happens again the next day and I fear my bags are shot. So I take things apart and notice the plastic clip on my right side back is broken. I pull it out and lose all air. The broken clip is preventing the auxiliary air canister from keeping an airtight seal.

I manage to get the broken clip back in and surprisingly it's holding. I'm afraid though If I put anything heavy in the rear I'll have the same issue. I looked to buy the clip alone but you have to buy a whole new auxiliary air canister just to get the plastic clip. No, I won't do that.

I was thinking of buying a 3D printer kit and perhaps fabing up the clips myself. Only thing I need are the dimensions of a good unbroken clip. My left clip is good, but I don't want to chance it crumbling in my hand when I try to remove it. I'm hoping one of you has an extra one laying about and could measure it out for me? I know it's a longshot... but why not try it.

Clip:

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    That certainly is an elegant (if expensive) solution to the problem. I recently did the airspring swap in the old Touring and was sooooo extremely careful with the clips. All went well, and I'm glad I did the swap, but I was losing sleep over mangling a clip. Best of luck.

In truth, that printer may pay for itself pretty quickly with requests from the Touring folk!
    Last edited by bigMphan; 09-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.

My Cars
    01 540iT
    The air reservoir is only about 60 bucks ....use the new clip and save the tank for down the road. Much less hassle.

My Cars
    e60 M5; e39 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by yersole View Post
    The air reservoir is only about 60 bucks ....use the new clip and save the tank for down the road. Much less hassle.
    I'd rather spend $5 for a new clip... I've been eyeing 3d printers for a while now (don't tell my wife) so this would be just a side benefit of buying one

My Cars
    e60 M5; e39 525it
    So this morning I decide to hit up a couple of junkyards. I check car-part.com and see a couple of local ones have tourings.

Hit up the first one... no tourings

Hit up the 2nd one... same thing....lady says the listing on car-part.com was from 2011

so on my way home i decide to hit one up that may or may not have a touring... and they did!!! Guy said they just got it in and it's the only one he's ever had in the yard. I asked to pull the clips and he let me go get them.

he told me to give him a price and I said $5 each

I replaced my broken clip and now have a spare I'm gonna try to duplicate