Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vishnu/FFTEC: 738WHP with 6466 Twin Scroll (New World Record)

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II

Vishnu/FFTEC: 738WHP with 6466 Twin Scroll (New World Record)

Quote Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
    Captain Insano's 2007 e90 6MT is going to break some hearts. As well as all of our old, yet still standing, 1/4 mile and 60-130mph world records!

Details:
    2007 335i 6MT
    Lots of miles (over 70k)
    Lots of track time at Laguna
    Lots of oil coolers
    Some ridiculous clutch with LWFW
    VFF in-line fuel pump
    Upgraded fuel rail
    Bilstein Coilovers
    Flared fenders with wide wheels wrapped in Toyo R888s
    VFF900 (6466 Twin Scroll)
    Vishnu PWM Meth
    Procede+OpenFlash Tablet

Since the last time we tested the car, it make a healthy 700whp at 26psi.

Since then, it has been converted over to a disturbingly beautiful twin scroll manifold. Looks about the same from up top, but when viewed on the engine stand, it's a work of art. It's so well fabricated I want to punch myself in the face whenever I look at it:

The turbo has been upgraded to a larger 1.0 hotside with divided housing (twin scroll). This means dual wastegates and a lot more work for the fabricators (see above).

Today we finally got some time to visit a Dynojet at DNR Performance, Hayward CA. FFTEC's in-house Dyno is a Mustang Dyno and, while great for initial calibration/tuning, its not the best for dyno comparisons since it's so configurable.. as it should be for tuning!). Our goal was to run 27-28psi and see what this magic turbo can do.

First several runs of the day were at 24-25psi:

Datalog:

Another datalog:

No matter how much we raised boost target up top, we couldn't make any more peak power. Power just stopped climbing at 6700rpm, limiting power to a disappointing 707whp.

The datalogs revealed that we weren't hitting our boost targets above 6700rpm. No matter how much WGDC we added, nothing helped. Turns out we the 10psi WG springs weren't stiff enough to be controlled over 25psi using the dual port wastegate control solenoid set-up we decided to use. The dual port set-up offers incredibly good accuracy and resistance to overshoot. But with all electronic wastegate control setups, you need to choose your mechanical WG spring just right (not to stiff, not too soft) and this is often a trial and error thing. So you say this is one of those errors.

Refusing to go back to the shop, install stiffer WG springs and come back next week, we decided to get a little creative. So we changed the wastegates boost reference signal from the nipple on the turbo's compressor housing to a nipple on the intake manifold. What this essentially does is compensate for a little pressure loss cause induced by the FMIC. Which should mean just a tad bit more boost up top. Not the 28psi (775+whp) we were targeting. But just maybe 25.5. It worked. Just barely! 738whp. Not close to we were aiming for when we first came to dyno tonight. But at least good enough to break the existing world record by a good margin. And more importantly, with broader, much more useful powerband. Did I mention this thing holds power until the rev limit @ 7300? 0068:

Datalog:

And sometime during this dyno session, I inadvertantly did a run in Map1 (low boost (22psi) with no meth:

Next:
    Stiffer wastegates are going in next. Then back to the dyno to run at full boost. And then 60-130 acceleration tests (high 5s or go home!). And then to the dragstrip to break my own N54 WR time of 10.8@132 from last year. Compared to my car, this car is making about 100whp more with way more top end power. It should run low 10s

Big props to Captain Insano for being insane enough to let us build and tune something like this for him to drive on the street and race on weekends.:thumsup:

Best Regards,
    Shiv

PS. Video to come next week. The car sounds rad. Way different than our previous single scroll single turbo cars.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    As expected, 6466 doing work; that turbo sounded so awesome at 20psi, it must scream at 25!

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    oloa 318ti
    I have always said these n54 will be the next 2jz...makes me wish I kept my 135i
    one lap of america s52/gt35r 318ti..500whp 533wtq 19psi via rk-tunes....
    follow me on instagram @whitecord1

My Cars
    E46 M3
    That's pretty rad, wish we never got rid of our single turbo 335 we had years ago, nobody could tune it way back then though.

That car does work!
    -Critter

My Cars
    07' 335i sedan
    Great work. The N54 is having a very exciting year. FFTEC's 6466 TS, Vargas twin gtx28's, FFTEC's 6266 kit, Vargas HPFP upgrade and soon REAL Open Source tuning.
    Sniz,
    You should check out BB. There is some very interesting work being done over there. Roy has a running top mount TS S366 and AK335i has a bottom mount 6466 on E85.

After the huge let down of "open flash" a few guys on BB are writing a real open source tuning software that is due to be released in the very near future. Ill leave this video here.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Damn! Very nice. Is the boost constant or is it creeping up top (or electronically set to elevate after peak cylinder pressure)? I ask because the torque curve is beautiful.
    Last edited by BadBoostedBmwM3; 08-07-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Damn! Very nice. Is the boost constant or is it creeping up top (or electronic set to elevate after peak cylinder pressure)? I ask because the torque curve is beautiful.
    Me thinks ramped up bewests.

My Cars
    hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecord View Post
    I have always said these n54 will be the next 2jz...makes me wish I kept my 135i
    I hope so, we will see. 738whp on the stock motor is insane I just hope these aluminum/magnesium blocks can take the heat
    Alpha-N ///M - Youtube

My Cars
    98 m3
    700+ on pump and stock internals?

What engine mods?
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    amazing.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    07' 335i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    700+ on pump and stock internals?

What engine mods?
    Stock internals, Stock engine. The only big mods are TS 6466, and in line fuel pump, over a standard fftec kit.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Damn. Does anyone expect longevity issues?
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    07' 335i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Damn. Does anyone expect longevity issues?
    Not sure. Rb guys have been running 18-20 psi for a few years with out a problem. Not to mention all of the fftec cars and I haven't heard of one blowing up.

Sent from my S4 using BF.com

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    stock intercooler as well?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Thats awesome for Vishnu. Regarding the strength of the N54 stock internals/block and being said to be the next 2jz. Im interested to see how much stronger BMW makes the F80/F82' s S55 than the N54. And seeing what people do E30/36's and M5x/S5x I wonder what FI section will be like 10-15yrs down the line. The people/tuners (small to big) that have been doing this already for years being ground breakers and grandfathers to the whole game. Long live BF FI section.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnUrleft View Post
    I hope so, we will see. 738whp on the stock motor is insane I just hope these aluminum/magnesium blocks can take the heat
    Its interesting to see how corrosive some Non BMW coolant can be on aluminum cylinder heads.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    is this stock motor?... How much is into a build like this? I think I might be buying a 335i soon...
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    07' 335i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    is this stock motor?... How much is into a build like this? I think I might be buying a 335i soon...
    Vishnu sells the standard 62mm kit for around 10k if you need all the little bolt ons.

Sent from my S4 using BF.com

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Correct if I'm wrong but I believe that the rods and the crankshaft in the N54 are not forged. The crankshaft is a cast steel while the rods are probably powdered metal. Anyways, looks impressive though with stock internals.

My Cars
    e30
    People get caught up in the forged versus cast thing. There are a lot of advancements in casting methods and metallurgy that allow very strong parts to be made using "lesser" techniques.

There are a lot of factors besides forged versus cast that determine component strength.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    skateboard
    So which fuel map was this done on? Pump with meth, pump, or e85?

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E92 M3
    Very impressive numbers for a stock engine. After all it seems the Al block isn't that weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    People get caught up in the forged versus cast thing. There are a lot of advancements in casting methods and metallurgy that allow very strong parts to be made using "lesser" techniques.
    There are a lot of factors besides forged versus cast that determine component strength.
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    So which fuel map was this done on? Pump with meth, pump, or e85?

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Being that it's from Shiv, i bet A LOT of meth was used to just make a glory number.
    Last edited by Soorena; 08-09-2013 at 11:08 AM.

My Cars
    07' 335i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
    Being that it's from Shiv, i bet A LOT of meth was used to just make a glory number.
    Ongoing joke is that he uses a garden hose to deliver the quantity he needs.

My Cars
    2008 Audi Q5
    hiii
    welcome in this forum. you can get the more answer here
    i have no idea about this but i can suggest you to ask to your seniors and related person in the market place where you can get satisfi your query.
    -----------------
    Top Ten classified website

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SickM View Post
    Ongoing joke is that he uses a garden hose to deliver the quantity he needs.
    Lol. Numbers with meth IMO are fairly meaningless as you don't want to drive on it all the time. Its really meant as a safeguard anyway, not something the engine/tune relies on constantly.

Numbers like this are good to show the engine can make xxx amount of torque without exploding, but beyond that not much else is known.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Numbers like this are good to show the engine can make xxx amount of torque without exploding, but beyond that not much else is known.
    Agreed, that the 730whp number might be using a ton of meth, but the graph below which was also posted above is mighty impressive for a stock motor on all boost with no meth!:

915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast