Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Progress is a Slow Process e36 Track/Autocross Build

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by BandarM3 View Post
    Awesome! thanks for the info.

Maybe a different oil weight can help keep temps down?
    No problem! I'm not sure I would go much lighter than I already am. I was getting some ticking from the valvetrain when I was running the 5w30 so I switched to 10w30 and that's seemed to take care of it. I didn't notice a temperature difference between the two either.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Is that a Spal low profile fan? Do you have the rubber gasket between in and the radiator? I'm thinking about running in that config, but i wasn't sure if it'd fit between the bracket and the front of the radiator.
    I honestly forget which exact Spal fan it is. I feel like I remember getting the thinnest one that wasn't a low profile to get higher CFM's. I'm sorry that's not very helpful, but I did have to trim the bracket in front of the radiator a bit in the middle and I didn't use a rubber gasket cause there isn't enough room or any need for one.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfriday11 View Post
    So I've been meaning to getting around to installing the fuel starvation kit, but my e36 hood louver from VRaptor Speedworks came in and I was more interested in installing that than fuel pumps that I wont be able to look at

It comes flat so it's easy to mock up and outline your cuts.

Then I cut it up with my dremel. No special sexy cuts here. Just made sure they were ground down and smooth before mounting the louver.

Got it all stitched up.

And done! I was gonna paint it black, but after mocking it up, I thought bare aluminum looked pretty awesome so I left it.

I love it. How much were they?

My Cars
    e36

My Cars
    e36
    I have some more goodies that should be coming in this week and next, but in the mean time, anyone up for some iRacing?

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Nice, i do some iRacing from time to time. I normally sign up, play a bit, get frustrated, and then quite for six months. I will say that the Skippy on the latest tire model is fantastic. It's bringing me back to the game.

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Nice, i do some iRacing from time to time. I normally sign up, play a bit, get frustrated, and then quite for six months. I will say that the Skippy on the latest tire model is fantastic. It's bringing me back to the game.
    haha yeah when I first signed up, I felt like the crappiest driver in the world. It took a TON of patience, especially in the rookie class racing , but once I got into the higher classes, the racing quality was much improved. I think it's really helped in real-world driving too. If you ever want to run some skippy, let me know. Just search for "Jason Friday" and send me a message!

My Cars
    e36
    I'm in the process of switching out my steering rack, so while I was in there I decided to get rid of my old, worn out, flexible steering coupler and replace it with a solid one for better feel. I decided on the e34 coupler because it was only $43 from autohaus and the only modification I had to do was slightly file the column splines with a round file to get the bolt to go through the clamp. Simple.

Old

New

It's kinda hard to see, but I just put the coupler on and used the file to get me the clearance that I needed for the through bolt.

Still waiting on my z3 rack to arrive, but I'm excited!
    Last edited by Jfriday11; 02-18-2016 at 09:01 PM.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    That's a great Idea, I just replaced mine with the AKG bushing, but i may take this route as well. Well done sir!
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    e36
    Thanks! I was actually one click away from getting the solid AKG bushing, but then I thought it was weird that AKG didn't make or sell it anymore. So I did a little research and found one or two people say that theirs bound up on them which was enough to convince me to go the e34 route. Hopefully it's just an e36 myth and you don't experience that with yours!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i (Drifter)
    I got a solid alum bush for myne. Won't that be better

My Cars
    97 E36 M3, 05 Saab Aero
    i recently changed my steering rack. One side had oil all over the shaft(bad seal maybe). I also changed the coupler with the same rubber oem one. I heard about akg one but i had no idea of the e34 one. Looks much more solid. Nice update buddy!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Wow, nice find! I'll be ordering that on Monday!

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    e34 one is only $31 bucks. I have one sitting on the bench ready to go in once I get the subframe/oil pan back together

My Cars
    e36
    Thanks guys! I'm hoping it works well. And yeah, sorry Dan, it is indeed $31 for the part. I think it was $43 with shipping.

I picked up another set of wheels today from a fellow member. They're the TR Motorsport C2's in black. I wouldn't normally have gone with black wheels if I had the choice, but I figured for price that I got them for that I could live with it. The plan is to run some R7 takeoffs on these, rain tires on my Team Dynamics, and new R7's on the Apex wheels. This way my fastest tires will be on my lightest wheels.

My Cars
    e36
    I finally got the z3 steering rack in and took it out for a short spin up and down my street. The combination of the e34 solid steering coupler and the z3 rack made the car feel a million times more responsive or maybe it just felt that way because I really wasn't expecting that much of a difference (especially not at low speeds). Also the steering weight was a bit heavier and getting to lock comes noticeably quicker. Needless to say I'm super excited for the start of the season.

I also got the bimmerworld dual fuel pump kit installed which was actually really simple. Bimmerworlds instructions were really easy to follow and the pumps work great. Other than that, I got a couple of 225/40/17 Hoosier R7's takeoffs, replaced my leaky valve cover gasket, and some contingency stickers on.

I got a new power steering cooling hose/pipe because my old one was leaking. I didn't know, however that the e36 cooling pipe does not fit on the z3 steering rack perfectly so I had to do a little bit of bending to get it to mount properly. On the side opposite the steering shaft, there isn't a hole to bolt the cooling pipe to so I just folded the metal mount on the pipe under itself and zip tied it to the rack. Kinda ghetto, but it works so whatever.

These things are stupid wide for 225's. I know they're not mounted so they look a bit bigger, but in the background are my 255 hankook rs3's.

And stickerz

Next order of business is to acquire a trailer, get it dynoed, cross weighted, and aligned.
    Last edited by Jfriday11; 03-11-2016 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    looks really good. Almost as excited to see your results as I'm sure you are. When is your first planned event? Are you already signed off for TT with NASA?

I've been telling people how under estimated the 225 Hohos are for years... no need to waste another +4 for 245's for TT, IMO.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Awesome!!! Looking good!! Maybe throw an Xbrace on it to protect the oil pan and give it some more strength.
    Last edited by stealthbeam; 03-11-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Looks great!

My Cars
    e36
    Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
    looks really good. Almost as excited to see your results as I'm sure you are. When is your first planned event? Are you already signed off for TT with NASA? I've been telling people how under estimated the 225 Hohos are for years... no need to waste another +4 for 245's for TT, IMO.
    I got signed off for TT this past November so I should be all good to go. Unfortunately, I planned a trip with the girlfriend April 13-17th before the schedule came out so I'll be missing the first Summit event, but I'm planning on doing some Track Daze and SCCA autocrosses before VIR with NASA in May.
    Also I totally agree with you on the tires. I was hesitant going down to 225's, but I'm glad I listened to everyones advice because there is no way in hell I could fit 245's under my fenders in their current state (points penalty aside).

Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    Awesome!!! Looking good!! Maybe throw an Xbrace on it to protect the oil pan and give it some more strength.
    I wish I could, but it'd cost me 3 points that I already can't afford. I'll definitely do it once I go w2w, though.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfriday11 View Post
    I got signed off for TT this past November so I should be all good to go.
    Did you go straight from DE3 to TT? No DE4? I want to TT!

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Did you go straight from DE3 to TT? No DE4? I want to TT!
    I was signed up for DE3, then once I got my check ride for TT, I did DE4 for the rest of the weekend.
    Just make sure you email them when you sign up for your next event that you want to get your TT check ride. That way you can do DE4 that weekend and be good to go for Time Trials for the following event.

My Cars
    97 E36 M3, 05 Saab Aero
    How much camber are you running front and back? Im just curious. Got any tires for the C2s yet? I want to see how they look on your car. Very Mad maxish.

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by BandarM3 View Post
    How much camber are you running front and back? Im just curious. Got any tires for the C2s yet? I want to see how they look on your car. Very Mad maxish.
    Currently I have -2.8 on the Front Right, around -3.2 Front Left, and -2.9 out back. Pretty weird camber setup, I know, but when I had my RS3's on there I had to run that much camber out back to prevent rubbing. Also my FR maxes out at -2.8 and my FL at -3.5, but I really have no idea why I had them setup evenly at -2.8 at my last event, but then my FL was getting eaten up so I increased the camber a little and it was much better. With the 225's I'm gonna aim for -3.2-3.5 up front and -2.7 out back if I can figure out the front end camber situation.

I have two takeoffs ready to go on the c2's, but I'm still trying to track down 2 more before I take them to get mounted. If you can help me find some, you'll be the first one I send pics to

My Cars
    e36
    So in an attempt to address my camber issue, I bought and installed the bimmerworld camber shims. The kit comes with 3 different size shims, .03", .06", and .120". Following the proportions on a chart that I found on this forum for shim sizes and their respective camber gains, I did some math and applied the necessary shims in attempt to get both sides of the car to max out at around -4 deg of camber figuring I could always dial it back from there.

Chart:
    1.16mm = -0.5 deg
    2.63mm = -1.0 deg
    4.00mm = -1.5 deg

Bimmerworld Shims
    .03" = 0.762mm = -0.328 deg
    .06" = 1.524mm = -0.656 deg
    .09" = 2.286mm = -0.869 deg
    .120"= 3.048mm = -1.158 deg

RF camber maxed out at -2.8deg so I applied the .120" shim for a max of -3.95deg
    LF camber maxed out at -3.5deg so that got the .06" shim for a max of -4.15deg

I'm eager to get the car aligned to see if my calculations were close. I can definitely tell there is a lot more camber on the RF now.

I cut a notch in the shim so I could just slide it up into place rather than disconnecting most of the kingpin from the strut.

Now I'm just waiting for my trailer to be built so I can get the car to the alignment rack and dyno!

My Cars
    97 E36 M3, 05 Saab Aero
    Nice! Thats weird that ur FR was not able to get more camber. Hope its not a flaw in the coils. Looks like the shims will do the trick. Sorry buddy, does takeoff mean used tires?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast