Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Enthusiast Class Time Attack Build and daily driver.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Looking for aero ideas today and a search brought up this thread. Great read over breakfast from post one right up to this. Love to go out to local track events and see guys like you and not only your skills driving but what you do to your cars. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us and continued success. Can't wait to see what is next!

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    It's been a while, so I figured I'd post a few updates.

First, right after Super Lap we had the Redline Time Attack finals at California Speedway. That weekend was really weird because I was 2-3 seconds off my previous personal best, and my top speed down the front street was 5-8mph off what it should have been. Cal Speedway is a Roval where you run 1/2 of the NASCAR oval, so top speed is crucial and my lap times were suffering due to this decrease in max speed.

I had noticed that the car felt a little slower than usual at Super Lap, and the weekend after Super Lap I was at Willow Springs International Raceway (high speed racetrack) and noticed that my max speed was 4-6mph lower than it normally was, but I attributed it that to the new aero. At AAA speedway I was back to my old aero though, and was trying to figure out what was wrong.

I started pulling plugs and even pulled the LTW wing off and did a session. None of these things made a difference and everything seemed okay. After the first competition session I was in third place and my lap time was 2 seconds off of my previous personal best a few months prior in much worse conditions and was in third place. As I was pulling into the pits after that session I noticed that the gas pedal felt weird. I parked the car and I was inspecting the gas pedal I saw that accelerator pedal wasn't connected to the accelerator shaft. Instead it was just sitting on top of it and due to this I wasn't getting full throttle. This explained why my car had felt down on power at Super Lap and Willow Springs. I fixed the pedal, went out in the second Time Attack session and went 4 seconds faster. With this I was able to secure first place and beat my personal best by two seconds. I was glad to finish the season on a high note and with momentum for this years season.

Since then we got to work and have been adding some parts to the car.

We switched to KW Clubsport coilovers to help add some speed in the corners.

While we were at it we installed some VAC Motorsports rear control arms to let us dial in as much camber as we needed. We also installed a fuel starvation kit that has worked flawlessly. Gone are the days where I would get fuel cut with well over a half tank at Willow Springs.

Finally we widened the front with Motorsport Hardware studs and spacers. Since I'm a big form & function guy I went with their Cold Forged Neochrome lug nuts to improve the look of the race studs.

You can see all of the details on StanceWorks as we prepare for the 2014 season. The car feels much better and should be quite a bit faster after our initial run of testing. We're making some modifications to the Aero and suspension/wheel/tire setup, so we're hoping to set the class record at every track this year.

The article on StanceWorks.
    http://www.stanceworks.com/2014/01/b...vus-autosport/

Photos from the install

Some parts from VAC Motorsports

Motosport Hardware Supplied us with Extended studs and Spacers

Soon it'll be back to many pots of coffee and long nights at the shop as we prepare for Round 1 of Redline Time Attack in February.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    HEY! Amir!!! Took awhile for me to figure out you changed your handle here.

So this is what you've bean up to!!!! "SWEET"

You seen Ray lately? We need to have a get together I miss the old crew. I will be following you and the build, hope to see you at the track sometime this year, young guy.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 01-26-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Hey Amir

Extremely cool build! Thanks for sharing.

How's that Mirai working out now that it's been used for a while? +40 lbs weight savings does sound nice.

Klaus

My Cars
    '03 Carbon Black M3 coupe and '91 318is
    Very cool build! Congratulations on your success to this point. Keep up the hard work!
    '03 Carbon Black M3: Remus Sport exhaust-Dinan stage III chip-Dinan intake kit-TC Kline DA coilovers-SSR GT2's
    '91 White 318is: Engine rebuilt-HR sport/Bilstein sport-Polyurethane bushings-IE 25mm/22mm sways-Custom exhaust-Z4 3.0 ssk-SSR comps

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    HEY! Amir!!! Took awhile for me to figure out you changed your handle here.

So this is what you've bean up to!!!! "SWEET"

You seen Ray lately? We need to have a get together I miss the old crew. I will be following you and the build, hope to see you at the track sometime this year, young guy.
    Thanks Deryl! I look forward to seeing you and the e21 in it's new form at the track!

Quote Originally Posted by KlausH79 View Post
    Hey Amir

Extremely cool build! Thanks for sharing.

How's that Mirai working out now that it's been used for a while? +40 lbs weight savings does sound nice.

Klaus
    Hey Klaus. The battery has been good so far and never let me down. That being said, I'm still waiting for a full year before I pass judgement. I'm okay with replacing one every year if it means saving that much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by longms View Post
    Very cool build! Congratulations on your success to this point. Keep up the hard work!
    Thank you.

My Koyorad radiator came in today. I'm excited to get this in because my car still had cooling issues with the aftermarket aluminum radiator that it has in it now. The Koyorad has a bigger which should help a lot.

I also modified the front aero to work with a new lip/splitter set up and changed the wing. I'll get some updates posted soon.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5
    That koyo radiator looks like a good deal! better price than the 44mm Turner motorsports one i just put in
    http://koyoradracing.com/news.asp - even has an extra 1/8 npt port.

Which radiator was in the car?
    98' M3/4/5 - Boston Green / modena
    Forever in process - DD/AutoX/HPDE

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by berny2435 View Post
    That koyo radiator looks like a good deal! better price than the 44mm Turner motorsports one i just put in
    http://koyoradracing.com/news.asp - even has an extra 1/8 npt port.

Which radiator was in the car?
    I'm definitely looking forward to the Koyorad. Their quality is excellent and they have great support. Definitely a deal at that price.

I currently have a Mizu radiator in there which is horrible and fit like crap. It was just readily available when I was putting everything back together. I've been waiting for an excuse to replace it and this was perfect. With the stock and Mizu radiator I would only be able to do 3 hot laps before temps became uncomfortable. I'm positive this will fix the problem.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5
    Good luck with it. 48mm is meaty!

What fan setup did/are you running?

Probably still have the AC and stock AUX fan right?
    98' M3/4/5 - Boston Green / modena
    Forever in process - DD/AutoX/HPDE

great thread. any vids?

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttlegoose View Post
    great thread. any vids?
    Thank you! Here are links to my youtube pages.
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB4KOiQSDADrcdDs8W3G4lQ
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvlC...R5ZfM8g/videos

Quote Originally Posted by berny2435 View Post
    Good luck with it. 48mm is meaty!

What fan setup did/are you running?

Probably still have the AC and stock AUX fan right?
    I'm just running the Aux fan currently. The car only had trouble with temps during really hot track days, but I'm 99% sure this new radiator is going to fix any issues I had. The radiator that is in the car now is terrible.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've been following your build thread for quite sometime, interested in what your feelings on daily-driving with the bimmerworld race exhaust? I do very little long distance/highway driving in the car. Is the sound manageable with strictly the resonator and muffler? Appreciate your input! Thanks.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Defintely invest in a electric fan, saves the headache and keeps the temps down quite a bit.
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by QCwalter View Post
    I've been following your build thread for quite sometime, interested in what your feelings on daily-driving with the bimmerworld race exhaust? I do very little long distance/highway driving in the car. Is the sound manageable with strictly the resonator and muffler? Appreciate your input! Thanks.
    I added a cat so mine is a bit quieter than most. I don't mind it at all and actually like daily'ing with the race exhaust. However I personally like loud cars. It is very loud and you can typically hear the car coming from blocks away. If you don't mind that then you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    Defintely invest in a electric fan, saves the headache and keeps the temps down quite a bit.
    I've been running no fan since the rebuild and haven't really had any issues. They only really help at pit speeds or in traffic anyway. I think the koyorads larger core will help with any concerns I had around town.

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    If you haven't yet, you can switch to a lower temp thermostat, which will help when you dont have a fan. Bimmerworld has several temp choices available 71,75,80 deg C
    '91 325ix/5 coupe, '98 M3 sedan
    Archivegarage.com

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    We made a couple of adjustments to the aero and suspension last week which proved to work very well in testing this last weekend. We went over a second faster on shot tires.

The only other big changes have been the addition of a new wing, modification of the old splitter to fit the regs, and new vinyl. I hope you guys like it.

[QUICKIMG][/https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/13376222565_e67aa2e4e5_b.jpgQUICKIMG]

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir@AvusAutosport View Post
    We made a couple of adjustments to the aero and suspension last week which proved to work very well in testing this last weekend. We went over a second faster on shot tires.

The only other big changes have been the addition of a new wing, modification of the old splitter to fit the regs, and new vinyl. I hope you guys like it.
    Great build and great photographs! Looks like maybe you were using Canon 5DMkII with a 35mm? Great job. I am doing a very similar build right now and am using your build as a bit of a guide.

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    I like the whole thing. I think the graphics look good against the red
    '91 325ix/5 coupe, '98 M3 sedan
    Archivegarage.com

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Very cool, maybe some lightweight mirrors would help reduce some drag and weight, Do you still have a full interior??
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Very cool, maybe some lightweight mirrors would help reduce some drag and weight, Do you still have a full interior??
    I'm a bit limited with what I can do aero and exterior wise. I'm already in a lot of grey area with the rules so I'm picking my battles. The M3 mirrors are actually pretty good aero wise for a stock mirror. BMW put a lot of work into them. It's interesting because you can see the effect in the rain with the way the airflow comes around to the mirrors. A cup style mirror would be better, but that'll be saved for when I can change them.

I do still have a full interior because class rules. The car is also driven on the street frequently and has a/c, heater, and even an upgraded stereo wish Bavsound stuff haha. I'm heavily limited by class rules, but I've done a lot to maximize them. To give you a comparison. An BMW IP Racecar is running more power, pretty much gutted, and on R-compounds while I have a full interior, a little less power, and on 200tw street tires. At the last club race at Buttonwillow 13CW my fastest lap would have been over a second faster than the fastest IP lap.

For the next phase of the build I'll be switching classes and looking for a lot more power and improved aero.

Quote Originally Posted by E.Roy View Post
    I like the whole thing. I think the graphics look good against the red
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Amir@AvusAutosport; 04-03-2014 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Ahhh ok, Can't wait to see where you go from here

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir@AvusAutosport View Post
    I do still have a full interior because class rules. The car is also driven on the street frequently and has a/c, heater, and even an upgraded stereo wish Bavsound stuff haha. I'm heavily limited by class rules, but I've done a lot to maximize them. To give you a comparison. An BMW IP Racecar is running more power, pretty much gutted, and on R-compounds while I have a full interior, a little less power, and on 200tw street tires. At the last club race at Buttonwillow 13CW my fastest lap would have been over a second faster than the fastest IP lap.
    I think you've maximized the driver mod; the one not limited by class rules.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    So, selling the old wing?

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Not sure if I missed this but what wing are you running now? Great build btw

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    So, selling the old wing?
    I'm sorry, but it's already at it's new home haha.

Ahhh ok, Can't wait to see where you go from here
    Thanks man I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by sullypants1 View Post
    I think you've maximized the driver mod; the one not limited by class rules.
    Thank you! I'm just trying to do what I can.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerealm124 View Post
    Not sure if I missed this but what wing are you running now? Great build btw
    You didn't miss it. I installed a lot of the aero in a rush for the last event so I didn't post updates regarding that. The wing is a 1600mm (63") Origin Lab 3D wing with custom stands and end plates. I found this to be the best compromise between drag and downforce. One of my home tracks is Willow Springs which is known for being a very high speed track. With this wing the car was faster everywhere including the straights (due to a faster corner exit) and my top speeds actually increased almost everywhere since it stabilized the car with minimal drag.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast