Thread: Another Cold Air Intake Question

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i E36

Another Cold Air Intake Question

I have been doing a bit of searching on the net and came across different and mixed responses.
    Maybe one of the forum members might have first hand experience with my question.
    Sorry if this has been discussed millions of times but here it goes again, million and one,
    I have a E36 325i, already has branch and exhaust done and was looking at the
    BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox. I have been on the BMC site and the correct BMC CAI is ACCDA85-150.
    Now the million dollar question, DOES IT WORK? anyone here that has one or has tried it?
    I will be doing the chip one day but wanted to do other things before having the chip fitted and car
    mapped.
    Does one have an improvement compared to stock airfilter box? and how much?
    Have been told by some people yes and some no. These CAI are not cheap either so if one of the
    members could be so kind as to advise.
    Thanks

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    The best designed, most expensive intake probably wont get you 5hp. BMW used that same airbox (minus the small cutout for the aux thermostat) on the OBD2 M3 which had a 3.2 liter engine ... if enough air can go through it for a larger engine, I doubt it's restricting a 2.5 liter. Plus the stock box is actually a cold air intake ... the snorkel draws air from behind the headlight.

In my opinion an aftermarket intake is worth it only for show and sound ... aside from that, nothing beats a stock unit.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Plus the stock box is actually a cold air intake ... the snorkel draws air from behind the headlight.
    In my opinion an aftermarket intake is worth it only for show and sound ... aside from that, nothing beats a stock unit.
    ^This.
    If the aftermarket kit isn't actually "cooling" the intake air via an intercooler type setup then it's a waste of time and money in my opinion.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i E36
    U thinking about the us spec M3 which made 180kw ? And didn't have individual throttles?