Thread: Getrag 242 to 245 swap on 320/6 (M20)

My Cars
    1981 e21 320/6

Getrag 242 to 245 swap on 320/6 (M20)

Hello guys,

I think this is my first post here even if I've been reading and leaning for a long time.

I have a 320/6 with a 4 speed 242. I've been looking for a 5 speed here in Finland for quite a while but looks like I found one.

My concern now is to get all the parts needed for the swap. As far as I could understand the guy was parting out another 320/6 but I think he has some plans for the car as he is not giving away all the parts, not sure.

So what parts do I need to fit a 245 into a 320/6 that I can not use from the actual 242?

I know I need the drive shaft as it has to be shorter for the 5 speed gearbox.
    What about the lever plate? And the gearbox support? Cross member? Is the slave cylinder the same? So many small parts…

Can anyone help me? Maybe someone did this swap before???

I have to say that the car is registered as a collector car and I can’t change the originality of it so I’m looking for a real bolt on solution, can’t be welding or fabricating non original parts…

Cheers!

My Cars
    '80 323i,'86 K75C
    ..I've done it; the gearbox support underneath the car will stay the same, you will need the shifter (lever) plate and corresponding rod. It is probably a good idea to replace all the small bits such as; O-rings washers, circlips, etc. while you are in there. You may also need the longer speedometer cable; I was able to reroute mine and make it work but, OEM does have a listing for the 5 speed / speedo cable . The clutch slave should bolt right in. Have fun...you will really appreciate the longer legs when doing highway travel.
    Last edited by Kiefer3.0cs; 08-02-2013 at 09:38 AM.

My Cars
    1981 e21 320/6
    Speedometer cable, that is good to know, would never thought about it.
    I will try to get everything at once so I don't need to be looking around for small parts.

Thanks Kiefer!