Thread: How to bleed SMG pump with INPA

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 M3

Unhappy How to bleed SMG pump with INPA

Hi guys I tried searching and could not find a definite answer. I'm mechanically savy and installed a new SMG pump and relay on my e46 M3. Now I need to bleed the pump. I have INPA and DIS V44 but do not know the specific steps to bleed the pump. If possible I would like to use INPA as it looks to be more user friendly and I have used INPA before with great success. Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to use INPA to bleed my new SMG pump?

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    its in "venting" in dis, you wont get anymore user friendly as dis was designed for bmw mechanics to use.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 M3
    I'm on INPA v3.0.1 and it looks to be straightforward. In the meatntime, I'll attempt to bleed the new SMG pump with my mish-mash of INPA "how-to" notes. If it works, I'll post a step-by-step process. If I fail, it's off to an "indy" shop. If someone has INPA and has done this procedure previously, please chime in. Thanks everyone.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 M3
    I bled the SMG pump with INPA and have never done this. Below is what I found searching the Forums and what I did.

1. Plug car into laptop, open INPA and turn the car ignition on but dont start it. Handbrake off. Close hood and doors.

2. Open "Special tests".

3. Open "SMG Adaptation for Sequential M-Gearbox".

4. Press F1 to bleed actuator and let it run through the test.

5. Press F2 to bleed the clutch and let it run through the test.

(F3 Complete Adaptation is optional) -Complete Adaptation will point out all the faults on your SMG. Do not perform if your clutch is old. 4th gear errors may also arise resulting in having to r/r gear selector switch, shift knuckle, 4th gear synchros, or broken springs.
    6. Press F3 to start a complete adaptation and let it run through the program (takes quite a while so make sure your battery is good or you have a power pack on it)

7. After you have done the full adaptation you should go out for a blast and do a soft reset as in drive at 40mph, knock the car into 0 and pull both paddles back for 2-seconds then pop it back into gear and that should reset the drivelogic.

I also installed a new "Salmon" Relay and did the "resistor trick" by installing a resistor on the white wire in the fuse box.

Good Luck with your SMG pump installs!!!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Was anyone successful with instructions above to bleed SMG1 system? It seems that SMG Adaptation for Sequential M-Gearbox menu in INPA Version 5.00 is for SMG2 only.