Harrison Motorsports
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrogen filled tires

My Cars
    e30

Nitrogen filled tires

I just wanted to let you guys know that we can fill your tires with Nitrogen. For anyone that uses it or knows about it I dont have to tell you the benfits of filling your tires with Nitrogen. Those of you that are new to the idea here are some of the perks.

Here's why it makes sense to inflate your tires with Nitrogen rather than air.

Already used in Formula One, Military Aircraft and Space Shuttle tires, nitrogen is the safest, best possible tire gas.

Being an inert gas, it cannot catch fire or explode.

Tires inflated with nitrogen run between 10 and 15% cooler.
    Tires inflated with air run hotter than those inflated with nitrogen.
    Nitrogen disperses heat quicker than air.
    Tires run cooler and tire life is extended by up to 20%.

Tires inflated with nitrogen do not lose pressure as quickly as those filled with air.
    If there is no damage to the rim or tire, the pressure will remain constant, because air migrates faster through a tire than nitrogen.

Recommended tire pressure
    Tires inflated with nitrogen should be inflated to the same pressure as air.
    i.e: the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure for the vehicle.

Cooler running tires, with constant pressures, make them last longer.
    Feel the difference on the road and in your pocket.

Considering the cost of your tires $20.00 to drain and refill all 4 tires is a good investment towards the life of your tire.

Since we use the GoNitro generator you will never have to worrie about our tanks running empty.

For more info check out www.gonitro.net

My Cars
    E36 | E55 Wagon | W126
    Kewl. I'll try this on the 22nd.
    Geordie Johnston - E36 Collector.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sounds sweet to me!

Ryan Windley | Mech./Packaging Engineer | Frito-Lay R&D
    1995 ///M3 Coupe
    | Cosmos Black Metallic | Black
    Go: Dinan CAI | Chip | Fan Delete
    Stop: Euro Floating Rotors
    Susp: Blisteins | H&R OE Sports | GC RSMs | UUC TMEs | 96+ RTAB & GC Shims | X-Brace
    Misc: Understeer SSK | Clutch Stop | JTD Underpanel | ///M Oil Cap
    Exterior: Clears | Tint | RD Staggered RGRs
    Interior: Lighted Shift Knob | Armrest
    Sound: Clarion Head Unit | MB Quart | JL Audio Stealthboxes

My Cars
    mazda miata
    Quote Originally Posted by allspeed
    Tires inflated with nitrogen run between 10 and 15% cooler.
    Tires inflated with air run hotter than those inflated with nitrogen.
    Nitrogen disperses heat quicker than air.
    Tires run cooler and tire life is extended by up to 20%.

wait, i'm a little confused about whetere or not the tires are cooler when using nitrogen.

My Cars
    Silver ones
    Not to bash your business but I know 2 shops in Alpharetta that do Nitrogen. We put nitrogen in the left tires. Normal air in the right. We found no difference in the wear at all.

In my racing car we used nitrogen in all tires. We found 1/2 a dgree difference at the same track...

Maybe its just my tests but I havent seen a difference big enough to justify spending money on Nitrogen in my tires...

Small Side note- Did a guy named Dean Hendrikson sell it to you ?
    Last edited by Want2race; 04-21-2004 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    E36 | E55 Wagon | W126
    Jesus Christ.
    Geordie Johnston - E36 Collector.

My Cars
    A Beater...
    they run cooler and there is less variance in the tire pressure, alowing a more even tread wear A.K.A longer tire life.
    Have a nice day

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    One main difference will be in tire pressure consistency. You can get fairly close with compressed air that is extremely dry with street tire use. but street tires don't see the temps that race tires will.
    and its not just moisture that causes the variance. good 'ol PV=nRT still applies.
    (air is mostly nitrogen, but its that other *junk* in there that can have a less desirable molar density.)
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    A Beater...
    Mike always has to come through and make everyone look dumb with his genius explanations...jeezus...

My Cars
    Turbo M3, Cosworth Benzo
    how about helium? LTW tires

lol
    Last edited by Concentric190; 04-22-2004 at 12:11 AM.
    ///Andres
    11 X5d sport - daily tow rig
    09 335d - evolve tuned 327whp / 490wtq
    97 M3 - NASA TTB
    95 M3 Turbo - 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI, etc

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Concentric190
    how about hydrogen?
    Oh the humanity!

My Cars
    95 540i6:04 Navi
    Helium sounds like a possibility as well...

BBS RC 18X8.5 et13:245/40/18:Koni SA/H&R Sport/M5 3mm Upper Spring Pads/M5T 25mm/20mm Swaybars/Racing King Subframe Inserts/Magnaflow High Flow Cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/3 Inch Tips/Euro Clears/32%Tint/40% on Windshield/6500K HID H1's Headlights and Fogs/Depo Smilies/Factory Shadowline Trim/Shadowline Grill/93 Octane EAT Chip/M5 License Plate Holder/UUC Short Shift Kit/3.15 LSD/ More to Come...

My Cars
    Turbo M3, Cosworth Benzo
    Quote Originally Posted by slvr98 M
    Helium sounds like a possibility as well...

Thats the word I was looking for DOH!
    ///Andres
    11 X5d sport - daily tow rig
    09 335d - evolve tuned 327whp / 490wtq
    97 M3 - NASA TTB
    95 M3 Turbo - 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI, etc

My Cars
    05 GT3,M3 LTW, E90 325, E46 325, E46 M3 Conv,
    We use nitrogen in the World Challenge cars but there is no need doing it on a street car. This sounds like a waste for a street tire. Now if you guys have some track tires laying around then I would get them filled with it.

Remember that Nitrogen is a dry gas and air has moisture in it. So air when heated up in a race tire will have a greater range of pressure change in a tire. Nitrogen stays more consistant and changes less. That is why we use it in the RA-1s we run. We need the pressure to stay consistant with where we started.

My Cars
    '09 BMW Performance 135i
    One of the great points for using nitrogen in street tires is that it seeps out of tires slower then air. I think this is because the molecules are larger. This is good for people who don't check their tire pressure quite as often as they should. And of course the added fact that nitrogen doesn't expand/contract like air does, keeping your tires at a constant pressure.

Georgia Tire Depot on Johnsons Ferry Rd. in east Cobb also has this feature, and we did this for Nellie's car when we put on the new tires about 6 months ago. It was only $2.50 a tire for the nitro fill. Figured why not? Couldn't hurt.

Brian

My Cars
    WRX
    Air is composed of nearly all Nitrogen and Oxygen (makes up about 99% of air), almost 80% of which is nitrogen.

Aside from that I've got nothing...

My Cars
    '09 BMW Performance 135i
    I had this explained to me once, but essentialy from what I can remember, nitrogen molecules are larger then air. Since nitrogen normally comes with 2 molecules together (N2), its a larger compound then air. This is only what I've heard and can remember off the top of my head.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Experimental M3
    I had this explained to me once, but essentialy from what I can remember, nitrogen molecules are larger then air. Since nitrogen normally comes with 2 molecules together (N2), its a larger compound then air. This is only what I've heard and can remember off the top of my head.
    Air is not a chemical compound that you can compare head-to-head with nitrogen gas. As Kyle and techno550 said, it's a mixture of mostly nitrogen and oxygen, with trace amounts of carbon dioxide, argon, and other gases.

I'm not sure how vendors can claim that nitrogen leaks more slowly than air based on the size of the molecules. O2, Ar, and CO2 all have larger molecular weights (atomic weight in the case of Ar) and ought to be similar in size to, or larger than, N2. More information, please.

My Cars
    This is just guesswork, but isn't it possible that Nitrogen forms weakly-linked "chains" that might be larger in size than the other gases, thus leaking at a much slower pace?

My Cars
    Yes
    I was just reading some of the info on that Web site allspeed mentioned. Apparently, removing the oxygen and moisture from the tire gas prevents rust particles from forming and interfering with the valve stem seals. There would supposedly be no slow leakage from a nitrogen-filled tire.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron17
    This is just guesswork, but isn't it possible that Nitrogen forms weakly-linked "chains" that might be larger in size than the other gases, thus leaking at a much slower pace?
    Whoa there Mr. Misinformation!

Don't quit your day job just yet to pursue an exciting life in the Chemical Engineering field!

Pssshhhh... EE's always coming up with crazy-talk.

My Cars
    E46iT, MK6 TDi, Z31Chump

My Cars
    I am going to head to GA Tire Depot tomorrow and fill my tires with the N2. So what if it doesn't do that much for my car. I have wasted more money on dumber things; it's $10 so why not try it?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    how about a nitrogen powered v12?

My Cars
    '09 BMW Performance 135i
    It's actually $5 per tire if you aren't putting on new tires, $2.50 per tire if they are putting tires on the vehicle. It's more work for them, so it's kinda like a labor charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast