Thread: 335i Turbo issues?

My Cars
    2010 335i xDrive Coupe

335i Turbo issues?

So, my 50k warranty is almost up and I've been talking to my agent at BMW about various extended warranty coverages etc.

My main concern is the turbo going at some point as i have heard this is an issue with a lot of people. Anyone with a 335 have an issue with their turbo going at some point? if so, after how many miles? Trying to decide if this warranty package is worth it as it is very expensive.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Turbo warranty has been extended to 8 years, 82k miles.

I can’t take his money. I can’t print my own money. I have to work for money. Why don’t I just lie down and DIE?
    -Homer Simpson

My Cars
    2010 335i xDrive Coupe
    is this covered under the Maintenance program or the Warranty packages, Gold, Platinum etc?

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacit1707 View Post
    So, my 50k warranty is almost up and I've been talking to my agent at BMW about various extended warranty coverages etc.

My main concern is the turbo going at some point as i have heard this is an issue with a lot of people. Anyone with a 335 have an issue with their turbo going at some point? if so, after how many miles? Trying to decide if this warranty package is worth it as it is very expensive.

Thanks!
    I am worried about my turbos going as well. As for now, I have an extended warranty till 100k and I'm at 73. I'm not sure if my turbos are even covered under that. What I think I've already got is the infamous wastegate rattle (a real buzz killer). Don't look forward to that if you get it

My Cars
    2010 335i xDrive Coupe
    OK, so youre at 73k with no issues...

now, the 100k extended warranty, do you know what that covers? There is a Maintenance extension, which covers things like oil changes, brakes and smaller things....and then then they offer the Warranty coverage and there are 3 levels i believe. standard which basically covers your transmission then a Gold and Platinum package which covers the more costly thing that can go wrong....turbo included...

so i am thinknig you have the maintenance extended warranty which would not cover a turbo...that correct?

My Cars
    2007 335xi
    What is the wastegate rattle you speak of?
    07 BMW 335xi
    12 BMW 135i

My Cars
    2008 335i
    OK, so youre at 73k with no issues...

now, the 100k extended warranty, do you know what that covers? There is a Maintenance extension, which covers things like oil changes, brakes and smaller things....and then then they offer the Warranty coverage and there are 3 levels i believe. standard which basically covers your transmission then a Gold and Platinum package which covers the more costly thing that can go wrong....turbo included...

so i am thinknig you have the maintenance extended warranty which would not cover a turbo...that correct?
    So let me answer it this way. I have an extended warranty that was purchased thru a dealer (not BMW dealer) when I got the car. It takes me to 100k miles. It's a "superior protection" warranty. My car also has lots of fun extras in it giving it close to 400 HP. Therefore, I will not take this to a dealer because I know they will reject me. That being said, my mechanic is an experienced Eurocar gear head and has taken good care of my old girl. He also is on a first name basis with my warranty holder, and they never ask questions about the claims he makes for me.

This is from my warranty: "what is covered: the repair of any vehicle component hat is covered by the original vehicle manufacturers warranty excluding the non covered items". And those are basically hoses, Belts, and stuff that breaks due to wear and tear. I know it includes pumps and other things because I've already had my water pump and power steering pump replaced.

What ya think?

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmV8 View Post
    So the turbos in the 335i have gates that are actuated with the max amount of ideal boost is realized by the turbos. Any more produced boost can damage the engine and destroy fuel economy. So these gates open at a designated PSI and allow charge air (turbo charged higher pressure air) to escape back into the exhaust and keep the engine safe. Many N54 engines are notorious for wastegate rattling, basically the actuator arm rattles against the shrouding metal, the turbos. It is obnoxious and is especially apparent at cold start up and idling. I have been unable to fid ANYWHERE an actual fix for the wastegate rattle. Just YouTube it, Friend, many examples on it for this issue

My Cars
    2007 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by YabuddyBimmer View Post
    Many N54 engines are notorious for wastegate rattling, basically the actuator arm rattles against the shrouding metal, the turbos. It is obnoxious and is especially apparent at cold start up and idling. I have been unable to fid ANYWHERE an actual fix for the wastegate rattle. Just YouTube it, Friend, many examples on it for this issue
    Ah you know maybe I do have that. Not always but sometimes when I start up the car cold in the garage I hear what sounds like a heat shield on the exhaust rattling. I've gotten under the car and removed some of those panels and searched for a loose shield or anything on the exhaust and never found anything. I bet that's what it is. It doesn't do it all the time... or maybe I got used to it. I need to pay more attention tomorrow when I start it up cold.
    07 BMW 335xi
    12 BMW 135i

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Sorry, meant to say "when the ideal pressure is realized" not "with"!

My Cars
    2007 335xi
    Sorry, meant to say "when the ideal pressure is realized" not "with"!
    It's cool I knew what you meant. I'm very familiar with how turbo setups work. I built the motor in my Honda from a bare block up with all forged internals and built my own custom turbo setup for it.
    07 BMW 335xi
    12 BMW 135i

My Cars
    2008 335i

It's cool I knew what you meant. I'm very familiar with how turbo setups work. I built the motor in my Honda from a bare block up with all forged internals and built my own custom turbo setup for it.
    That is freaking awesome! Good for you, I'm quite jealous. Id like to do all my own maintenance eventually. Right now I'm still a lowly 2Lt in the military so I'm waiting for a few years where I can get a garage and all my own setups.

My Cars
    2007 335xi
    That is freaking awesome! Good for you, I'm quite jealous. Id like to do all my own maintenance eventually. Right now I'm still a lowly 2Lt in the military so I'm waiting for a few years where I can get a garage and all my own setups.
    I will point out the Honda and Mustang engines that I normally work on are not nearly as complex as the BMW. I've only done some minor stuff on the BMW (brakes, water pump, new door locks etc) and I can tell you it's a whole different level. I have a lot to learn when it comes to the in depth details of this car but it's all good. I like to learn and love the car.
    07 BMW 335xi
    12 BMW 135i

My Cars
    2010 335i xDrive Coupe
    so u guys with 335's...you havent had a problem with your turbos yet or anything?

My Cars
    2008 335i
    so u guys with 335's...you havent had a problem with your turbos yet or anything?
    See above, but I have no KNOWN issues with my turbos...I am assuming mine is wastegate. If this rattle is a turbo, that sucks. Ill let you and Malcom know this week when my mechanic gets intimate with the lower left side of my engine

My Cars
    2008 335i

See this link, post number 4. Shows out turbos and the wastegate

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315737

My Cars
    Montego 135i/6
    I've already gotten my turbos replaced on my 135i. I chose not to extend my warranty past 50k and had the work done at 65k with no questions asked because my wastegates were really rattly
    2009 135i/6 | Cobb Stg 2+ | VRSF Downpipes | aFe Intake | Evolution Intercooler | Evolution CP | Apex ARC8s | BMW Performance Spoiler | Carbon Fiber

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpstaty5y View Post
    I've already gotten my turbos replaced on my 135i. I chose not to extend my warranty past 50k and had the work done at 65k with no questions asked because my wastegates were really rattly
    That's awesome man. I'm glad they did that for you. So you definitely think a rattly wastegate (which many people feel cannot be replaced as a separate entity then the turbos themselves due to their integral nature) would be covered under a manufacturers warranty? Apparently the real issue is faulty bushings that allow up to an 1/8 inch of play in the gates. That just does not seem like that is in specs

My Cars
    2007 335i
    is this covered under the Maintenance program or the Warranty packages, Gold, Platinum etc?
    It's now part of the standard warranty. To my knowledge there are 2 items that are covered beyond the standard warranty thanks to class-action litigation results for vehicles equipped with N54 engines:

High pressure fuel pump
    Turbochargers

The HPFP is warranted for 10 years or 120k miles
    The turbos are warranted for 8 years or 82k miles(?)

I can’t take his money. I can’t print my own money. I have to work for money. Why don’t I just lie down and DIE?
    -Homer Simpson

My Cars
    2007 335xi
    How much are the extended warranties you guys purchasing due to concerns with the turbos? I got curious and looked at the prices of the turbo assemblies and they're actually much cheaper than I expected. $554 a piece so about $1100 for the pair, probably $1200 or $1300 with gaskets and misc stuff. More if you pay someone to work on your car and install them.
    http://www.tomkinsonbmwparts.com/par...iagram=1942750

Those prices are not bad considering the turbo, manifold, and waste gate are all in one assembly. When I built my turbo Honda just a good quality manifold was over $600, turbo (just one) was around $700 (they get way more expensive too) and waste gate was another $300.
    07 BMW 335xi
    12 BMW 135i

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    fyi ... BMW describes the turbo noise that is covered by the 8/82 warranty thusly : "... a clanking noise heard 6 or 7 times in a row during deceleration from approximately 3,500 RPM or during heavy application of the accelerator without a drive gear being engaged"
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2008 335i
    How much are the extended warranties you guys purchasing due to concerns with the turbos? I got curious and looked at the prices of the turbo assemblies and they're actually much cheaper than I expected. $554 a piece so about $1100 for the pair, probably $1200 or $1300 with gaskets and misc stuff. More if you pay someone to work on your car and install them.

Those prices are not bad considering the turbo, manifold, and waste gate are all in one assembly. When I built my turbo Honda just a good quality manifold was over $600, turbo (just one) was around $700 (they get way more expensive too) and waste gate was another $300.
    Wow those prices aren't bad. I actually purchased mine private sale and this guy had Tons of money to throw at this car. He had the supreme warranty with 35k miles left on it. I paid 100$ and transferred the warranty to my name. I'd say I scored pretty well.

554 is really a solid price. I thought they were 1k a pop

My Cars
    2008 335xi coupe

My turbos just went

Lacit,

My 2008 335xi coupe is currently in the shop for about a week now. My car is at 67,000 miles and my engine malfunction reduced power light came on.
    I brought the car in to the shop fearing the worst. Got a call back later that day stating that the turbos needed to be replaced and that it would be covered under a warranty. They extended the warranty to 8 years 80k. The fuel pump is also extended. I opted not to buy the extended warranty and thus far all my problems have been covered under some type of factory warranty.

If you end up nearing the 80k mark with still no sign of turbo problems you may be in the clear, it still wouldnt hurt to bring it into the shop and let them know youre having some issues, lag, rattle, etc. therefore if you get to 85k and need them replaced you have your argument. Good luck.

Meanwhile they gave me a 2013 328 xdrive sedan as a loaner. still not sure how i feel about it.

My Cars
    2010 335i xDrive Coupe

i was quoted just above $3,500 for the Gold package which covers large expensive problems like the Turbo. ive heard people having issues but wanted to know if it is worth it....if i were to get this warranty, i would basically be pissed off if the turbo DIDNT break, or something else to make it worth the purchase of the warranty....

Quote Originally Posted by dmbsoccer13 View Post
    Lacit,

My 2008 335xi coupe is currently in the shop for about a week now. My car is at 67,000 miles and my engine malfunction reduced power light came on.
    I brought the car in to the shop fearing the worst. Got a call back later that day stating that the turbos needed to be replaced and that it would be covered under a warranty. They extended the warranty to 8 years 80k. The fuel pump is also extended. I opted not to buy the extended warranty and thus far all my problems have been covered under some type of factory warranty.

If you end up nearing the 80k mark with still no sign of turbo problems you may be in the clear, it still wouldnt hurt to bring it into the shop and let them know youre having some issues, lag, rattle, etc. therefore if you get to 85k and need them replaced you have your argument. Good luck.

Meanwhile they gave me a 2013 328 xdrive sedan as a loaner. still not sure how i feel about it.
    thanks for the feedback! from the sounds of people that have had problems with their turbo, it doesnt happen until around 80 - 100k and with you and others saying the turbos are covered up to 80k, i think i am going to risk it and pray for the best and not purchase the warranty since it is so expensive.

i have a 2010 335xi with 46,500 miles on it. so, my 50k mile maintenance warranty is just about up...
    Last edited by Lacit1707; 07-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335XI SEDAN
    I current just bought a 2008 BMW 335xi twin turbo and as I took it to the mechanic, I found out that it has some oil inside the turbo pipes. I was suggested to go either with rebuilding my own turbos or with a new after market turbo. I'm wondering if I could get any insight on which one I should go with. Rebuilding it is currently more expensensive than getting it aftermarket.

Thank you!