Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YES! Intentional E39 speedo error seems FIXED, or, "I think I'm turning Japanese."

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1

Cool YES! Intentional E39 speedo error seems FIXED, or, "I think I'm turning Japanese."

Been gettin wicked annoyed at the +5% speedo error on the ol' Touring, and finding it tends to make me drive FASTER than I would otherwise now as I disregard the indicated speed as being bogus... Kinda got worried the other day when I found myself doing a speed that will remain unmentioned and realizing it'd be a $$$ ticket if I sailed into LEO range... Well, I had some time yesterday and today to kinda dig into it w what software tools I had at hand.

Obviously there's no easy NCSExpert solution since if there was everyone would be driving around without speedo errors anymore... But taking a page from some E46 work that Terraphantm did, long story short there are indeed parameters for speedo calibration that are not available in the trace file via NCS Expert. And accordingly, there is a whole list of potential values for each of those, including the values for Japanese E39 w/ 250kmh speedometers (as well as Alpina and M5 300kmph speedos, and active cruise, and all kinds of other stuff...)

Well after some testing the basic E39 Japanese settings seem to be as dead nuts on for speedo as you could want, when checked against my cell phones GPS at several speeds and for sustained cruise.

[EDIT - updated to simplify based on newer NCSDummy ease of use]

So it seems the newer NCSDummy versions make this super easy as it now reveals what before were hidden fields. The simplification should make the guys who get infuriated at having complicated technical details posted in a thread happy. I wont mention how to use or setup NCSDummy but that info is all easy to find.

TACHO_OFFSET - select Japanese E39 250km

TACHO_SKALA_ENDWERT - select Japanese E39 250km

TACHO_OFFSET_KOMPL - select Japanese E39 250km

TACHO_SKALA_ENDWERT_KOMPL - select Japanese E39 250km

(deleted all details of hex editing and other tools.... Warnings still apply - if you brick your cluster dont blame me... But it should be pretty easy)

Last edited by geargrinder; 10-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Perhaps the Japanese government demands an accurate speedo. The national speed limit, at least years ago, was 60 kph. All cars had a chime that went off at a speed just above that.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2002 530i, 2001 325i
    That's cool. The speedo error really bugs me. I just wish I understood your instructions better - seems like a different language...

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by caryalon View Post
    That's cool. The speedo error really bugs me. I just wish I understood your instructions better - seems like a different language...
    If you toss a shout-out on the diag forums or a local Bim GTG mebbe you can find somebody who will do it for you at a meet up some weekend... it really is pretty easy - only thing that would take longer is if your cluster was a different PN and so you had to go look up the values over again (I could do that for somebody too and post up the info, but they'd need to know what cluster exactly it was from INPA/NCSExpert)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 530i, 2001 325i
    It's a 2002 530i with the high OBC cluster. Same as yours?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    You guys worry far too much about trivial stuff. Hope you don't have a fatal heart attack.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2010 bmw x3
    Perhaps the Japanese government demands an accurate speedo.
    Last edited by luravua; 07-25-2013 at 11:28 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    You guys worry far too much about trivial stuff. Hope you don't have a fatal heart attack.
    Ha! So funny the little bunch of hater trolls around here that come to chime in on stuff they dont care about just to be sure everybody knows they hate anybody who does anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Im not an expert but if i get a sec i'll look up part numbers and take a guess, I'd guess it is from seeing how configurable the IC is (aka code in engine, transmission, etc but you can never be sure...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by luravua View Post
    Perhaps the Japanese government demands an accurate speedo.
    Would not at all be surprised if this was the case in Japan. Supposedly the error originates from German liability aka if you get in accidents or get tickets in DE the owner could claim it was the automakers fault because the car was not indicating the full speed so all cars read 5% low... At any rate its cool to have figured out the solution to accuracy...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    Geargrinder - What a great find!! It sound like language from another planet to me too but it is very cool. I'm always trying to figure out how fast I should be driving according to my speedo. A definite PITA!
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    OK so ETK lists a shidload of part possible numbers for a 2002 530 w/ high OBC...
    For manny tranny:
    62 11 6 924 895
    62 11 6 923 069
    62 10 6 948 265
    62 10 6 942 197
    For slushtranny:
    62 11 9 134 786
    62 11 9 155 822

My PN is 6 914 897 so looks different, but you'd have to dig into the details to see what coding is for whatever cluster you have. I'm betting most of that is minor coding differences, and they all have essentially the same layout, but you can't be sure and that's about all the work I want to do at this point. Steps to do it if you can find somebody w/ INPA/NCSExpert and PASoft would be:

• Scan modules w/ NCSExpert to find out what version of software & parameters your car has (mine was KMBI.E38.C12 but there are a lot of KMBI.E39.??? entries too...)
    • Use NCSDummy to dump Module Functions for what you just found
    • Look in the module function file for the addresses of the 2 variables I mentioned (and should verify that the Japanese codes are same as I have listed above, or use different 250km Japanese codes if they are not)
    • Switch cables, now use PASoft to read the EEPROM
    • Edit the hexadecimal appropriately based on what you found (save as new filename so you have the original to fall back on in case of problems)
    • Write the EEPROM in PASoft
    • Reset the time & date in your cluster, and you're good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    Geargrinder - What a great find!! It sound like language from another planet to me too but it is very cool. I'm always trying to figure out how fast I should be driving according to my speedo. A definite PITA!
    Thanks! Yeah I'm psyched. If you want to try it some time let me know, I'm curious to try it on an I6 and see if it works the same. I'm just down on Cape Ann but have in-laws up in Po-po so I'm running up/down coast periodically, plus a buddy in Po-mouth I hit up for lunch periodically - might be doing that week after next in fact.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Geargrinder, are you going to the BAV Show and Shine in Oct?
    Maybe you can bring your stuff and fix mine. Not that it really bothers me, it's probably saved me from a few tickets.
    John Stern, you going? I want to see your blown I6.

My Cars
    2002 540i 6 sp
    Kudos to you for figuring this out! I hate this optimistic speedo (but it is not going to give me a heart attack!) and am hoping to see this turned into a DIY or a easily understood task that one could take the car to someone with a BMW scanner could do. I like the idea of a mass correction at a GTG.

Keep up the good work!
    '02 540i 6 Speed Electric Red 87k Miles Scuba Tank (both) Delete, 545i Short Shift, ZHP Knob
    '96 993 (Sold)
    '01 SL 500 (Wife's)
    '14 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Past BMWs: '83 533i, '66 1800ti (sold with 250k miles)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quick update:

Still working great although the cluster does flash "EEPROM KI" when the car starts sometimes - I hadn't noticed that before. I am betting there is some validation check since the car is coded as a "DR63" - aka USA 540iT Auto - but then says it's Japanese. Or there could be some check where the IKE (cluster module) asks another module for validation.

At any rate, nothing functional seems to be wrong so I don't care so far. If the cars were still in warranty it'd be a potential issue w dealers but since this car is unlikely to EVER see a BMW dealer again, it's a non-issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Maybe you can bring your stuff and fix mine. Not that it really bothers me, it's probably saved me from a few tickets.
    Would like to, but after poring over their site + blog + facebook they don't seem to say the date. First weekend of October usually? If so I might not be able to make as I have to be in Germany on Sunday night. But will make it if I can...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993 View Post
    Kudos to you for figuring this out! I hate this optimistic speedo (but it is not going to give me a heart attack!) and am hoping to see this turned into a DIY or a easily understood task that one could take the car to someone with a BMW scanner could do. I like the idea of a mass correction at a GTG.Keep up the good work!
    Yeah to be honest, for somebody who has the ability & comfort w/ PASoft and editing hex values to do it, everything that I posted is more than enough which is why I dumped so many tech details there. I will go edit the post a bit to add something about looking up different clusters than the exact one I have.

But I've been around enough stuff like this and seen enough bricks made that I am wary of trying to make it too "for dummies" and then have a guy do the wrong thing or not pay attention and end up with angry losers screaming because they ignored the "do this at your own risk you might brick something!" warnings...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Yeah, I agree. This project is 'busy work'.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BF.com

My Cars
    2002 540i 6 sp
    Yeah to be honest, for somebody who has the ability & comfort w/ PASoft and editing hex values to do it, everything that I posted is more than enough which is why I dumped so many tech details there. I will go edit the post a bit to add something about looking up different clusters than the exact one I have.
    Yes, I agree...this is not for your average DIYer but more for a few guys with the abilities. I am thinking some folks may step up in different regions and be able to make the change for a modest contribution. Kind of like loaner special tools.

Thanks!
    '02 540i 6 Speed Electric Red 87k Miles Scuba Tank (both) Delete, 545i Short Shift, ZHP Knob
    '96 993 (Sold)
    '01 SL 500 (Wife's)
    '14 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Past BMWs: '83 533i, '66 1800ti (sold with 250k miles)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham E39 528i View Post
    Yeah, I agree. This project is 'busy work'.

Ha again! I really didnt know i had to apply for your approval for doin little projects that are fun... Who knew?! Is there a list of grand wizards that i am supposed to send my application to?

Amazing that so many kids spend tons of time fitting modded angel eyes and other completely non-functional cosmetic stuff and posting about it here, but you single out correcting the 5+% speedo error as a waste of time? Do you even actually know that your speedo is off by better than 5%?

Well in turn I hope all the hater trolls dont have panic attacks and psychotic episodes from freakin out over what somebody else has modded on their E39.

Relax, bros.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Ha again! I really didnt know i had to apply for your approval for doin little projects that are fun... Who knew?! Is there a list of grand wizards that i am supposed to send my application to?

Amazing that so many kids spend tons of time fitting modded angel eyes and other completely non-functional cosmetic stuff and posting about it here, but you single out correcting the 5+% speedo error as a waste of time? Do you even actually know that your speedo is off by better than 5%?

Well in turn I hope all the hater trolls dont have panic attacks and psychotic episodes from freakin out over what somebody else has modded on their E39.

Relax, bros.
    Rather than feed the "hater trolls" as you refer to them, why not ignore them?

Back to your OP, my dealer corrected my speedometer error when I had a new cluster installed a few years ago. I noticed it on the way home from the dealer that day as I was passing more cars than I normally would at an indicated 63mph. I checked my GPS and saw 63mph there, too. I called the dealer later and asked the service writer about it... he said, "I don't know. We just updated your software when we installed the cluster. I guess that did it."

My Cars
    BMW
    Geargawker defines a troll as anyone who disagrees with him. LOL

Last edited by Graham E39 528i; 07-29-2013 at 12:49 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwisgaar View Post
    Rather than feed the "hater trolls" as you refer to them, why not ignore them?
    You're 100% right of course. I usually block repeated wankers who go out of their way to just say "what you think js cool sucks and i went out of my way to crap on your thread instead of ignoring something I have no interest in" but not as easy a quick few clicks when using Tapatalk which ive been doing lately. I will say it generally seems more cranky critical and bitchy around here last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Skwisgaar View Post

Back to your OP, my dealer corrected my speedometer error when I had a new cluster installed a few years ago. I noticed it on the way home from the dealer that day as I was passing more cars than I normally would at an indicated 63mph. I checked my GPS and saw 63mph there, too. I called the dealer later and asked the service writer about it... he said, "I don't know. We just updated your software when we installed the cluster. I guess that did it."
    Thats really interesting. I havent tried to update programming on the cluster to see if that made a change... Id love to read the EEPROM of your (or another replacement-reading-correctly) cluster and see what parameters it has and what software versions etc.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Thanks! Yeah I'm psyched. If you want to try it some time let me know, I'm curious to try it on an I6 and see if it works the same. I'm just down on Cape Ann but have in-laws up in Po-po so I'm running up/down coast periodically, plus a buddy in Po-mouth I hit up for lunch periodically - might be doing that week after next in fact.
    Yeah! I'd love to try it. My trouble right now is that my wagon is up on jack stands while I'm doing many repairs/mods. I only have time to work on it about one day a week so things are going slow. Then my pickup has been giving me fits and I need that vehicle for our business. I will certainly let you know when the car is back in operation. We are not far apart so I'm sure it will be easy to get together.

Thanks so much for your offer to fix my speedo. Even though it's not that hard to figure out what speed you're going, it would be wonderful to look at the speedo and know it's correct.

Jim-Hopefully I'll be able to go this year-it's only 12 miles from my house. The problem is that our bakery is always busy that time of year and it's unfair to leave my wife, Nancy, with the onslaught. With luck I'll be able to carve out some time in the afternoon. Hope to see you there.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    I would actually pay like $50 for someone local to update my ecu (if he's experienced enough). I absolutely hate having to compensate mentally on my true speed vs the bmw speedo. then I get all messed up when I drive my other car and I end up speeding by mistake.
    2001 540i 6speed metallic silver

My Cars
    99 540i6
    They sure did go a long way to make sure the speedometer is completely inaccurate. I imagine my wife wouldn't care about it and would see it as a waste of time, but I sure don't.

Mines down to about 3MPH error after getting some 18's, but I sure would like it to function as a reliable indicator of speed. I'd probably have to change the values in the cluster EEPROM and re-calculate the tire revs per mile to make mine right.

Maybe I'll try to buy another BMW scanner if this passes the test and if you can figure out how to get rid of the error message (that might drive me more nuts than the speedo being off by 3 )
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    Jim-Hopefully I'll be able to go this year-it's only 12 miles from my house. The problem is that our bakery is always busy that time of year and it's unfair to leave my wife, Nancy, with the onslaught. With luck I'll be able to carve out some time in the afternoon. Hope to see you there.
    John, if you can make it bring the iT. If you can't then next time I'm up in York maybe we can meet. My sister-in-law lives in York. At the moment she's here....and brought me some lobster! As far as I know the BAV Show & Shine will be on Oct 6th. Geargrinder, can you make it, or will you be gone?

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Anyone in the SF Bay Area that can update my ECU? The error sucks...I'm getting pretty good at calculating 5% over to compensate, but I'd pay $$ to get it dialed in.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    John, if you can make it bring the iT. If you can't then next time I'm up in York maybe we can meet. My sister-in-law lives in York. At the moment she's here....and brought me some lobster! As far as I know the BAV Show & Shine will be on Oct 6th. Geargrinder, can you make it, or will you be gone?
    Dang, I prob fly out to Germany that day.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast