Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 93FIM5's 1993 E34 M5 Build FI Part 1

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3

93FIM5's 1993 E34 M5 Build FI Part 1

Well I'm starting to acquire parts and start modifications specific to my turbo build so I think its best to start getting the input of the FI forum. The current plan is a Borgwarner EFR 8374 1.05AR turbo using a divided manifold to take advantage of the twinscroll housing along with a custom water to air intercooled plenum. Not focusing on building a HP monster more interested in building a better M5 that has a broader power band, maintains responsiveness, and has OEM or better reliability. A few links to show prior work and parts choices:

- Prior work: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1869798
    - Matchbot: BorgWarner MatchBot_3.7_8374_15_OP

At the moment I am working on a few cooling system modifications to take some weight off the nose of the car and better integrate the intercooler heat exchanger and cooling needs of the turbo and the wastegates (thinking dual TiAL MV-R). Looking forward to any questions and comments, here are some of the more FI related parts that have finally started trickling in.

-Greg

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Subscribed.

My Cars
    E30 325is turbo.
    All those clamps cost more than my car

http://www.abelvalenzuelastore.com Home interiors; Upholstery, floor covering, window covering, & all kinds of repair.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by twirknolove View Post
    All those clamps cost more than my car
    Haha I doubt it!

So this weekend I'm going to be working on finishing up bending the new rear brake lines and getting measurements for the custom front soft lines. I also ordered in Pagid Sport pads for the N'ring rear brake setup (328mmx20mm rear rotors and new calipers vs 300x20 for U.S. Spec M5's), that was a pain to find in the U.S. haha! Should also make some progress on installing the remainder of the rear suspension bits and swapping my leather and foam from my electric seats to the manual frames I have. Lastly I need to double check that the 5/8 OD .555 ID 316 tubing I have for fuel line will be able to follow the OEM route and see how many Adel clamps and Click Bond studs I will need to replace the OEM mount points. Gonna be a busy weekend!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Which manifold will you be going with, and what tuning? I would go with a gt4094 turbo. That would make for a sick powerband.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Which manifold will you be going with, and what tuning? I would go with a gt4094 turbo. That would make for a sick powerband.
    I'm building a custom manifold with integrated Laminova cores with a trunk mounted reservoir and pump. Here is a old CAD drawing of the manifold I need to update my Flickr pic of it haha, its changed quite a bit since I've started fine tuning it in CFD but its getting closer to being ready for a test print.

Here is a 3D printed prototype for the end cap with wiggins assembly.

The GT4094 is very nice and I looked at it for a while as its very similar to the EFR8374 that I've planned around, like you said should make for a nice power band especially taking advantage of the twinscroll housing. Planning on a Syvecs S8 or equivalent ECU but I'm not in a rush to decide until all the hardware is finished since ECU's are advancing so quickly. Tuning wise depends on who wants to do it and show me the ropes a little so I can toy with it down the road. Was planning on Neel at Apex but again I'm open.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1990 M3
    Wow! This build is going to be exciting. I am subscribed so keep those pictures coming!

Which software are you using for CFD? Be sure to post screenshots and progress from your CFD analysis.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    ...this is going to be good

My Cars
    '00 Grand Prix GTP
    Sub'd.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsports14 View Post
    Wow! This build is going to be exciting. I am subscribed so keep those pictures coming!

Which software are you using for CFD? Be sure to post screenshots and progress from your CFD analysis.
    Autodesk Simulation CFD and will do! Thanks guys hopefully it keeps a few of you entertained!

Made some good progress this weekend albeit not quite FI related but hey gotta build the foundation. Anyways managed to finish up the heat shield install for the xbrace and finish the DIY. Here is the tool and insert you need.

Here is the shield bolted in place

I had forgotten to replace the seal ring on the CV joint on the driveshaft so I dropped it and checked the center bearing and guibo while I was at it. Both looked good which they should since both are less than a year old. Seal ring, driveshaft to final drive hardware, and center bearing hardware.

Installed seal ring, grease looks OK.

Also cleaned up a few heat shields and cleaned under them as well as replacing hardware.

Heat shields cleaned and hardware replaced and driveshaft installed and torqued.

With the driveshaft down I replaced the transmission mounts. Hardware.

Ready to go in.

Done.

Noticed I had forgotten some clips on the rear trailing arm so I installed those.

Much better.

Sorted thru my hardware and found all the pieces for the rear pitman arms and got those installed.

Driver side.

Passenger side.

I also replaced the fender liner nutserts.

Much better.

Getting close to being back on the ground so I figured it was time to get the exhaust hardware on.

I checked on the fuel line routing and its going to be tough to use the stock location where it passes over the subframe so I'll have to toy with that a little. On a positive note it looks like the passenger side has the same mount points for lines as the drivers side so I can use those for running the power steering lines coming from the trunk and possibly the washer fluid lines.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Dude you are my idol. This thing is going to be better than showroom floor when done. And I'm talking about little stuff, all the little clips,hangers, and joints. Brand new everything, with turbo.

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    There's nothing finer than a pint of Shiner.....except this build

I can't wait to see how an EFR does on a BMW motor, good luck!

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    Dude you are my idol. This thing is going to be better than showroom floor when done. And I'm talking about little stuff, all the little clips,hangers, and joints. Brand new everything, with turbo.
    Haha if it ever gets done and thanks for the complement!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    There's nothing finer than a pint of Shiner.....except this build

I can't wait to see how an EFR does on a BMW motor, good luck!
    I do love Shiner. The 8374 should be a good match with a proper divided manifold, especially since I'm more interested in response and day to day manners than outright power. Thanks!

Well Me78569 and I made it back alive from another road trip to the southwest and I had these waiting on me when I came into work this morning.

F50_4044 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

Brackets are in progress and will allow use with the N'ring 343mm front rotors or if I decide I need a little bigger/easier to source rotor in the future a 355mm (14"). A perk of the F50 caliper is that it has the same piston sizes as the OEM 4 piston caliper so bias is unaffected (I also have the matching 328mm rears and correct calipers) but the system is significantly lighter at 7lbs per caliper vs the OEM 4 piston at 14.7lbs and the sliding front on the US at 11.2lbs. Gonna be a fun week .

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Is this the 3.5l engine or the 3.6l?

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Its the S38B36 since its a 93 US M5, but its still technically a 3.5 being that it displaces 3.535. It will be stroked out to ~3.7liters via the 3.8 crankshaft during the turbo rebuild.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Ah, just putting in the b38 crank in there will give you a displacement of ~3.7l, interesting.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    The best thing is installing new parts!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    .. like a brand new car off the lot.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Do you have the laminova cores already? Have a ton at the shop. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
    -Critter

My Cars
    BMWs
    Finally Greg makes a post in FI

Looking good man. Replace the trans mounts with something stronger though - you won't believe how much they torque around.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Ah, just putting in the b38 crank in there will give you a displacement of ~3.7l, interesting.
    And it gives you the better harmonic damper iirc.

My Cars
    BMWs
    yep

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    And it gives you the better harmonic damper iirc.
    You could also go for an ATI damper.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post

You could also go for an ATI damper.
    It's the style of attachment. It's different on the 3.6 from the 3.8. I think, but not sure. I'm sure he knows though. Press fit vs bolt on.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yes, 3.6 has single bolt 3.8 has multi. 3.8L is a much more robust system. It's also why the 3.6 hubs fail. Harmonics.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 08-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast