Thread: Antenna mess

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3

Antenna mess

When I bought the Z3 a few weeks ago I knew I was going to have to change the antenna (some p/o had this abortion done)...
    well, it turns out at I probably should have left well enough alone..(but I knew I couldn't do that) now I have a problem
    I guess I know why they did it, I assume that the antenna lead is one length from the antenna to the back of the H/U, so they cut it.Now what do I do...pull
    out the console, carpet and seat to replace the wire? Or?
    Z3 Antenna 002.jpgZ3 Antenna 006.jpgZ3 Antenna 004.jpg
    BMWCCA # 12660 (got my 35 year pin in the mail)
    PCA 30 Years..........
    X5 06 3.0 Saphire Black/Tan-- Ours
    Z 3 01 2.5/5 Topaz/Tan (was 96 Silver)-- Mine
    911 (997S) 06 Cab/Tip Guards/Black -- Hers/Ours?

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    Yeah redo huh, I did this recently with a stereo/amp install. Last install they just shoved it all though where they could fit. My install involved removing the center and the back console and do it properly, you'll be much better off. Shouldn't need to remove the seats as you can get down either side with out it using the door trim. Welcome to finding out just how many screws are in a bmw trim!
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3
    I REALLY DO NOT want to pull the interior apart to run a new cable for the antenna...is there some way I can repair/fix/solder something to where the coax antenna wire was cut? I'm thinking can I buy a female end for the wire and solder it to the existing wire, and replace the whole antenna....and with what?
    To think I just coulda' left the ugly aftermarket antenna alone BUT, NO, I really couldn't do that...all I could see as I walked up to the car was that fuggly antenna.... and the scratch on that otherwise pristine left rear fender....it sucks to be so fussy (anal?)
    tnx daka
    BMWCCA # 12660 (got my 35 year pin in the mail)
    PCA 30 Years..........
    X5 06 3.0 Saphire Black/Tan-- Ours
    Z 3 01 2.5/5 Topaz/Tan (was 96 Silver)-- Mine
    911 (997S) 06 Cab/Tip Guards/Black -- Hers/Ours?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Previous owner of my Topaz also did that, but to the end where you connect it to the head unit. I was able to splice it all back together properly and signal strength is great.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    02 996 cab, 08 E350
    You can definitely resolder the joint where the previous owner did it, only do it neater, or use a couple of coax connectors, as long as you have enough wire or can solder in an extra section. Audio purists will say you're going to change the impedance and adversely affect your reception, but if it does you're only out a couple of bucks and no worse off than you are now. If you're good with a soldering iron, just put a length of heat-shrink tubing on the cable, make the best splice you can in the center wire, make sure it's insulated from the outer mesh, solder the mesh or just overlap it, pull the heat shrink over the splice & shrink it, making sure you don't have to bend the coax at the splice. Or go to Radio Shack and buy a male and a female coax connector and use them to rejoin the wire.