Thread: Fixing the trunk lid wiring harness

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA

Fixing the trunk lid wiring harness

When I first got broken wires in the wiring loom I just soldered the wires back together but that fix didn't last. Under a year and I got more broken wires. So I decided to pull the wiring harness and replace the section that get bent each time you open or close trunk. Since Imageshack is having some issues I made it into a PDF. Due to forum restrictions I had to compress it quite a bit so quality isin't the best possible. Anybody got any comments?

Update: I uploaded a new version of it on filefactory. The PDF is now over 4 MB, so the quality should be better. Link

Update: Google drive link, so should be good from now on.
    Last edited by Spirit Force; 08-07-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Now hosted on google drive

My Cars
    97 E39 540/6
    Excellent write up. I've noticed this too after I soldered the trunk release/open and less than a month later it broke again. So the wires are just too short?

"Life is a numbers game. Increase the numbers, win the game"

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    The wires aren't too short, they just get bent too much. I think the original wiring is PVC insulated, which doesn't take too well being bent that much regularly. Just take a look at the rubber loom when you close the trunk. Wires get twisted into U shape.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    May have to splice in some very finely-stranded wires.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Thank for the contribution. I'll tow this to the DIY section after comments.
    Fyi, first link in PDF is broken (at least for me).

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Excellent write up. What were the symptoms that made you check the harness? It seems that this only affects blue cars lol.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Thank for the contribution. I'll tow this to the DIY section after comments.
    Fyi, first link in PDF is broken (at least for me).
    Thanks for the heads up. I first began writing it on the forum and only discoved the imageshack wasn't working when I was almost ready. I couldn't upload pictures to imageshack, so I just copy pasted it to MS Word. It seem that I forgot to fix the first link after that. Oh well I'll be doing some minor fixing on it anyways. I'll upload a better quality PDF to imageshack and put a link for it in the first post. How long can I edit the first post? Can I edit it after it's been towed to DIY section?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
    Excellent write up. What were the symptoms that made you check the harness? It seems that this only affects blue cars lol.
    Thanks. The issues were: trunk wouldn't open via remote, inside switch, or the trunk switch. Only turning the key 90 degrees would open it. What a pain in the ass to use the key each time! Mine isin't blue it's Cosmosschwarz

- - - Updated - - -

Uploaded new version on filefactory. It's a better quality (over 4 MB). Added some more info and few new pictures.

My Cars
    e39 530i '01 Touring
    Hello.
    The link is not working anymore. Does anyone have a copy of this DIY?
    BMW Addicted

My Cars
    1989 325i, 2001 530i 5MT
    I'd love to see this too. Both trunk lights out. Verified broken wiring harness at the pass side trunk lid hinge. For the moment the remote release still works, both at the button at the driver's door jam and via the remote key fob.

I'll keep an eye out for a fixed link .

- - - Updated - - -

Well this is interesting. Hopefully we're talking about Part #4 in the diagram, not Part #3...
    For that push off the cliff, this one GOES211...

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sedan
    New to the forum, just bought a 2003 530i and seem to have all the typical issues for this model/year. Found the trunk wiring harness issue while replacing tag lights. Has anyone found a good fix for this? Right now all I know to do is cut wires one at a time, butt solder together, and cover with heat shrink. Not much extra length in wire to play with.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sedan
    I was able to fix the trunk wiring harness this weekend. I had to cut each wire and solder back with a inline joint. I have too say probably the worst soldering job I have done in my life. It is very hard to keep the wires together in a vertical position in the corner of the trunk with soldering iron in one hand and solder in other. Not to mention it felt like 120 degrees outside with humidity 1000%.....LOL The design for that harness is the worst I have seen. I recommend carefully slicing the rubber harness length wise the entire length, pulling all the wires out and doing the repair. Make sure to use heat shrink on each wire. When done you will be able to slip the wires back into the harness and use 3M Scotch 33 black tape to wrap around entire length of harness.

My Cars
    E39 540i/6
    Did anyone save this PDF and can upload it again?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    I uploaded it again, but it will dissappear after 100 days, if noone downloads it. Anyone got any suggestions on a good upload site that has no expiration?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Force View Post
    I uploaded it again, but it will dissappear after 100 days, if noone downloads it. Anyone got any suggestions on a good upload site that has no expiration?
    Upload to Photobucket, then just put the link here, but make sure your privacy settings are not requiring a password, lol

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Need a link
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    1990 735i, 2002 530i
    Both links are dead.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    I did this fix too. Essentially I soldered a replacement wire to the top of the broken one and then used the old wire as a fish to pull the new one through from top to bottom. I then spliced top and bottom using solder/shrink wrap. Rinse/repeat. I did them two at a time and on the last set, I pulled through a backup camera cable as well for extra credit...

My Cars
    2003 540 6 speed
    tip:
    after doing the fix? When possible,limit the number of times you have to FULLY open the trunklid when placing something in/getting something out. Less stress on the wire loom

My Cars
    2009 BMW 528i
    OK, anyone have this PDF? I'll happily host it in my Google Drive...

Does anyone have instructions specifically for installation of the Sencom 2016065 harness repair kit in the E60? Sencom has a video up for the E61 repair but not the E60...

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead1 View Post
    OK, anyone have this PDF? I'll happily host it in my Google Drive...

Does anyone have instructions specifically for installation of the Sencom 2016065 harness repair kit in the E60? Sencom has a video up for the E61 repair but not the E60...
    This DIY is for E39, not E60.

Now hosted on my Google drive, so should be good. Since people are still reading this, maybe it would be time to tow it to DIY section after five years, what do you think jamesdc4?