Thread: E36 starter motor compatibility need help ASAP

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan

E36 starter motor compatibility need help ASAP

So I'm buying a new bosch starter motor for my 1995 325i and I havent found any clear information on this at all.

So I know there are two types of starters:
    1. pre 96 without threaded holes and w/ the bracket
    2. 96 and on with threaded bolts and a thicker ear thus removing the need for the bracket

My question is- Since Im replacing the starter can I just get the post 96 starter, it will be easier to mount, it's a little shorter, and easier to replace if need be. Will the installation/fitment be the same? Do I need additional hardware? Will it function the same?

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    Help anyone? I really dont want to waste $150+ on a part that wont fit..

My Cars
    325iC
    I've never done this job so I don't have all the information but yes, the threaded starter will fit, and is actually preferred. The only difference is the use of a bracket, which I believe you will not need since the "ears" are reinforced on the threaded starter. You should already have the bracket attached to the block and you'll just need to remove it. Better wait till someone else can confirm this but I'm 99.9 percent sure.

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderCoverGuy11 View Post
    I've never done this job so I don't have all the information but yes, the threaded starter will fit, and is actually preferred. The only difference is the use of a bracket, which I believe you will not need since the "ears" are reinforced on the threaded starter. You should already have the bracket attached to the block and you'll just need to remove it. Better wait till someone else can confirm this but I'm 99.9 percent sure.
    Thanks for the opinion, that was my thought on it to, I'd just like some confirmation from someone who's done it before

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I haven't done this either but I found this thread about using the wrong starter. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ter+ears+broke

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    I haven't done this either but I found this thread about using the wrong starter. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ter+ears+broke
    Yeah thats the thread I've looked at but I couldnt really find any solid info

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    It's a straight swap. No biggie.

My Cars
    95 M3, 96 Z3, 97 M3/4
    It was pretty straight forward. Not really sure on specifics but to be on the safe side I would just use the starter my car originally came with. Since yours is a 95, go with the 95 starter. It may be a little bit more off a hassle but you'll know forsure it will work and you wont really have to change it again for another 100k+ miles.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...84-Starter.htm

I followed this step bye step. But all you have to really know is to take off the manifold and its right there! I knew I should've done a write when I did it like two months ago. Good luck, I hope this helped

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    Thanks for all the help, the pelican parts thread is great help, I'm going swap in the 96+ version.

Reason being is BMW wouldnt change the starter if there wasnt some sort of an improvement to it. This one is smaller and easier to install so if my logic is correct then this should be the way to go.

Being 18 and knowing everything I think I'll trust my gut on this one haha.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Good choice. You won't be sorry

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    For what it is worth, my E36 now has an E46 starter motor.

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    Before you swap the starter, elevate the nose of the car. The threaded type might need to be accessed from underneath the car unless you have some amazing hand strength. There is little clearance between the firewall and the transmission bellhousing that holds the bolt. The unthreaded type can be done completely from above.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    If you loosen the bolts from underneath, you'll need about 2 feet of extensions to reach the bolt heads.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    Another question that I'm wondering about now, if I order the new post 96 starter, will it come with the one bolt to install it? Or do I need to find the bolt somewhere else..

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by ImIanYou E36 View Post
    Another question that I'm wondering about now, if I order the new post 96 starter, will it come with the one bolt to install it? Or do I need to find the bolt somewhere else..
    One bolt? There are 2 bolts. You should be able to use your existing bolts

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post

One bolt? There are 2 bolts. You should be able to use your existing bolts
    Yeah but the thing is I have the pre 96 started to begin with, is the hard ware compatible then?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    It wont come with bolts. If your existing bolts dont fit then buy new ones. Dont' overthink this thing. Its been done many times before.

You're talking about a couple bolts. Not rocket boosters for the space shuttle.

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    You're talking about a couple bolts. Not rocket boosters for the space shuttle.
    You're probably right on the over thinking part, I'd rather just be more safe than sorry and get the job done in one attempt since this is my DD, thanks though.

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    The bolts from an unthreaded starter will work in a threaded one.

The bolts from a threaded starter will probably not work in the unthreaded because they will probably be too short. Plus you will need to buy some nuts.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    +1 for above...

I have a 1995 and I just swapped in for a Thread starter...you have to assume the "wise-monkey" stance in your hood but you can get a good crank on the bolts...pm me if you want details on this haha (very gratifying when a 10 year comes around and asks you what you are up to when it's 106.9 heat index in Virginia with 90% humidity)

My existing bolts worked fine for the threaded starter, I kept onto the bracket just in case

It was a direct swap, starts up like a champ...I am going to get some extensions within the next week to see if those bolts are victims of "vibration" and that's all

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Doing a bit of a thread revival here. So similar situation, retrofitting newer style starter post96 into a 95 car, will I need to get new bolts?

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Maybe wait to see if your current bolts work, if not then I guess you're going to buy some.
    Is the newer starter "better" or just easier to install so that's why some do the update/upgrade?

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    bmw etk says they're both m10x65

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E36/

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Veleno View Post
    Maybe wait to see if your current bolts work, if not then I guess you're going to buy some.
    Is the newer starter "better" or just easier to install so that's why some do the update/upgrade?
    It's just easier to install - the starter itself is the same from all I've read.