Thread: autocross long island

My Cars
    1998 e36 m3 SC

autocross long island

Well I've never really posted in this section, but I sure did learn and read a lot in the past few years.. Im really trying to get my self involved in some autocross but I really don't know where to start..I did a lot of reading on the subject and what the requirements are for each class.. But I cant seem to find out if I need to attend some sort of schooling before getting involved with the sport? I plan on attending the Nassau coliseum event on july 27th to watch and get a feel of everything. I was wondering if anyone on the board will be attending and if there kind enough to let me hang around so they can teach me a few things. thanks in advanced!

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by true36 View Post
    Well I've never really posted in this section, but I sure did learn and read a lot in the past few years.. Im really trying to get my self involved in some autocross but I really don't know where to start..I did a lot of reading on the subject and what the requirements are for each class.. But I cant seem to find out if I need to attend some sort of schooling before getting involved with the sport? I plan on attending the Nassau coliseum event on july 27th to watch and get a feel of everything. I was wondering if anyone on the board will be attending and if there kind enough to let me hang around so they can teach me a few things. thanks in advanced!
    Can't speak for that region, but most have loaner helmets. If you have your own that passes tech you will probably find that things are a little more relaxed during the day, but for your first event, it is a minor thing.

Bring a car that will also pass tech inspection, and a positive attitude (and a valid drivers license is usually required).

Run what you brung, and have FUN.

My Cars
    '95 M3 GTS2 #177
    No need for schooling, just come w/ an open mind towards learning car control and you can participate. Depends on the club running the event, but you can usually borrow a helmet from the registration desk so all you need to commit for your first time is the fee and a few hours of your day. Best to bring some waters and a hat in the summer as well as blue painters tape to use for #'s on your car. Check Metro PCA and BMW CCA for their autocross schedules, they should have a pre-registration link on their sites.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe, 05 LGT
    If you like driving, there's no reason to go and just spectate. You'll learn a lot more by doing anyways. There will be instructors on hand to guide you through the course if you wish.

Most SCCA regions have loaner helmets available to you. I would recommend bringing a head sock or bandanna to wear, b/c the helmets can get a little funky in the summer time. Don't forget to bring your sunscreen!

Your car will have to pass a relatively easy tech inspection. Make sure the brake pedal is firm, there's no play in the wheels, the battery is secured properly, the tires are in good shape, and there's no leaks.

My Cars
    1998 e36 m3 SC
    thanks for the replays! I honestly plan on participating the event.. I just hope i pass the tech inspection.. Are boosted cars allowed to participate because my cars supercharged.. I plan on buying my self a helmet, Cant wear something some guy was wearing all day sweating.. I heard Bell is the way to go for helmets.. Does anyone know where i can get a nice helmet for a great price?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fukes 2 View Post
    No need for schooling, just come w/ an open mind towards learning car control and you can participate. Depends on the club running the event, but you can usually borrow a helmet from the registration desk so all you need to commit for your first time is the fee and a few hours of your day. Best to bring some waters and a hat in the summer as well as blue painters tape to use for #'s on your car. Check Metro PCA and BMW CCA for their autocross schedules, they should have a pre-registration link on their sites.

thanks for this tips brotha..Are you going to be attending the next event?
    Last edited by true36; 07-16-2013 at 11:29 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 323is
    thanks for the replays! I honestly plan on participating the event.. I just hope i pass the tech inspection.. Are boosted cars allowed to participate because my cars supercharged.
    There should be a home for you no matter what level of car prep, but understand that you may be classed against cars that seem stupidly fast. Resist the urge to blame equipment, keep an open mind, fix the nut behind the wheel first, and remember this is something to do for fun.

[Ethan "if it weren't for that cone" Connor|323is #89DSP]

My Cars
    95 m3 coupe
    I'd suggest heading over to MetLife/Giants stadium in NJ. MotorsportsNE is having an autox this Saturday. They run an open, fast course and most importantly the surface is much smoother and gripper than Nassau. They also accept walk up registration, have plenty of loaner helmets. Show up with cash, drive. SCCA and PCA also run at Giants.

My Cars
    97 M3 91 525i
    I will be attending on the 27th and will be more than happy to walk you through everything day of and for future events.. Feel free to pm me and I will fill you in on how the event runs and timing and what to expect.

My Cars
    97 M3, Lotus Exige, GSXR
    I will be there as well. Just come up and say hi. I'll show you around. There is always a novice drivers meeting that will show you the ropes.

My Cars
    98 528i
    In the same boat as OP, never done autox but really want to give it a go. I just purchased a helmet and was looking at the BMCCA NY Chapter event calender http://www.nybmwcca.org/calendar.php, I might go to the 27th or the 3rd of August event. Hope to have a good time and drive.
    Last edited by bkgreene39; 07-17-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    "And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."-Senna

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe, 05 LGT
    thanks for the replays! I honestly plan on participating the event.. I just hope i pass the tech inspection.. Are boosted cars allowed to participate because my cars supercharged.. I plan on buying my self a helmet, Cant wear something some guy was wearing all day sweating.. I heard Bell is the way to go for helmets.. Does anyone know where i can get a nice helmet for a great price?!
    Autox tech inspection is very easy to pass. If your car is in good shape mechanically, you'll be fine. Like I said before, no leaks, everything tight, and good rubber.

With your supercharger, you'll be in Street Mod, considering no crazy weight reduction mods or major component swaps. Expect a lot of power-on oversteer. SM at the local level is usually full of cars with more power than suspension.

Be careful on helmet choice. A DOT or M 2005 rated helmet is currently ok for autox, but usually not for track days. If you ever plan on doing a DE, make sure the helmet is rated SA2010. Helmets are good for 10 years, so a helmet with a 2005 rating won't be good for much longer. Closed face or open face doesn't matter for autox. www.saferacer.com has a lot of helmets.

My Cars
    98 528i
    OP if you want a budget helmet check this one out http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZAMP-FSA-2-S...bf9ddc&vxp=mtr
    "And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."-Senna

My Cars
    1998 e36 m3 SC
    You guys are seriously great... Didnt expect to get this much feedback.. Ill try and attend the event in NJ this weekend if i can call in sick at work.. I sure will be attending the 27th in nassau.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davidflrs View Post
    I will be attending on the 27th and will be more than happy to walk you through everything day of and for future events.. Feel free to pm me and I will fill you in on how the event runs and timing and what to expect.
    cool looking foward to meeting you man.. Just wont know who to look for haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daniellihomes1 View Post
    I will be there as well. Just come up and say hi. I'll show you around. There is always a novice drivers meeting that will show you the ropes.

Ill see you the 27th!

Also what tires do you guys recommend. I currently have continental extremes that are still new.. I was thinking of upgrading to some RA1s shaved? what do you guys think.
    Last edited by true36; 07-17-2013 at 08:19 PM.

My Cars
    95 m3 coupe
    If you run Nassau don't use a tire you care about unless you've got some decent camber. That lot is a little on the rough side. Giants stadium has what is arguably the greatest autox lot in the northeast. I know it's a bit of a ride for you but check it out before the end of the season. I run the events for MotorsportsNE. I'll be the one with the ratty black E36 and the bullhorn. Tires? There are so many good "street tires" these days. The direzza, the new bfg, hankook rs3, new toyo, etc. Do some homework, it's fun anyway.

My Cars
    97 M3 91 525i
    I'm part of the welcoming committee for new commers to the event so I will try to help you both (true36 and bkgreene39) as much as possible including the novice course walk.. I will be there early look for me in the violet e36 m3 and I will walk you through registration and tech.

As for the surface conditions at Nassau.. They repaved the lots last year and I don't see much more tire deterioration than anywhere else I drive including track days.. The BMWCCA course layouts seem a little more technical than the Porsche or scca events at the same lot but the surface is perfectly fine. I plan on running with the SCCA this sat at Nassau coliseum.

My Cars
    98 528i
    I'm part of the welcoming committee for new commers to the event so I will try to help you both (true36 and bkgreene39) as much as possible including the novice course walk.. I will be there early look for me in the violet e36 m3 and I will walk you through registration and tech.

As for the surface conditions at Nassau.. They repaved the lots last year and I don't see much more tire deterioration than anywhere else I drive including track days.. The BMWCCA course layouts seem a little more technical than the Porsche or scca events at the same lot but the surface is perfectly fine. I plan on running with the SCCA this sat at Nassau coliseum.
    Thank you, I look forward to the introduction. Will you be at the July and August event?

My Cars
    97 M3 91 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by bkgreene39 View Post

Thank you, I look forward to the introduction. Will you be at the July and August event?
    I will be there for all the autocross events.. I will be in the violet e36 M3 car number 25. I usually get there early and will help you out the best I can. Sometimes I help out with tech but will make time to help out new attendees.

My Cars
    98 528i
    I will be there for all the autocross events.. I will be in the violet e36 M3 car number 25. I usually get there early and will help you out the best I can. Sometimes I help out with tech but will make time to help out new attendees.
    Awesome I will be there in August, looking forward to it.