Thread: S52 Engine Builder in Greater Toronto Area

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3

S52 Engine Builder in Greater Toronto Area

Folks, apologies for a specific regional post here but I am looking for a trustworthy and very capable engine builder in the Greater Toronto Area. I would like to begin due diligence on costs to build my motor and boost the living crap out of it. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of a reputable shop that has considerable experience with the S52 platform.
    1998 E36 M3
    Dakar Yellow

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
    Folks, apologies for a specific regional post here but I am looking for a trustworthy and very capable engine builder in the Greater Toronto Area. I would like to begin due diligence on costs to build my motor and boost the living crap out of it. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of a reputable shop that has considerable experience with the S52 platform.
    Any builder that has a stelar reputation for quality and power output can take care of you. An engine is an engine.
    Last edited by Brody @ Miller; 07-15-2013 at 11:55 AM.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    By far the best and most anal builder I've encountered, built my engine:

http://progressivespecialties.ca/

Give him a call, tell him Dmitry sent you, explain what you'd like. He's pretty picky about taking on projects, doesn't do too many at a time but I think he may have time soon. Be prepared though, good builders/machinists take a long time!!! This isn't an engine swap or a paint job. The good guys don't rush and Yanni has no reservations about fully stripping an almost finished engine if anything doesn't feel 100%. But by the same token he also stands by his work. He asked that I break the engine in at his place, asked that if I can, invite him to track and dyno days - you can rest assured that once the engine leaves his place, he doesn't disavow it. Also he's not the cheapest around but he's also not remotely the most expensive and by far the best in my opinion. The most comforting thing I found about working with him is that there was never a point where I was thinking "hmm, if this was me I would have taken more time with this", or "check it a few more times". You'll never hear him say "it's probably fine".

Anyone that tells you that your engine will be fully rebuilt in a month is either lying or has nothing else to do because no one wants their services. If you aren't happy with what you hear from Yanni or he says that he's fully booked, let me know and there's another guy I would recommend. He's not as good in my opinion but still very good. He did my S38 and I never had any issues with the motor.
    Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 07-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    By far the best and most anal builder I've encountered, built my engine:

http://progressivespecialties.ca/

Give him a call, tell him Dmitry sent you, explain what you'd like. He's pretty picky about taking on projects, doesn't do too many at a time but I think he may have time soon. Be prepared though, good builders/machinists take a long time!!! This isn't an engine swap or a paint job. The good guys don't rush and Yanni has no reservations about fully stripping an almost finished engine if anything doesn't feel 100%. But by the same token he also stands by his work. He asked that I break the engine in at his place, asked that if I can, invite him to track and dyno days - you can rest assured that once the engine leaves his place, he doesn't disavow it. Also he's not the cheapest around but he's also not remotely the most expensive and by far the best in my opinion. The most comforting thing I found about working with him is that there was never a point where I was thinking "hmm, if this was me I would have taken more time with this", or "check it a few more times". You'll never hear him say "it's probably fine".

Anyone that tells you that your engine will be fully rebuilt in a month is either lying or has nothing else to do because no one wants their services. If you aren't happy with what you hear from Yanni or he says that he's fully booked, let me know and there's another guy I would recommend. He's not as good in my opinion but still very good. He did my S38 and I never had any issues with the motor.
    Thanks for the feedback here, I will certainly reach out to Yanni. I am prepared to leave the car for several months, I am concerned about quality and reliability, not a rush job. The car is always stored in winter so after the summer driving season is over she will be going under the knife. I am fully prepared to leave it in the shop for 3-4 months such that the build is executed to a gold standard.

Edit: Wow convenient, this shop is 10 mins away from my house, thanks again mate, really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Irishace; 07-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    1998 E36 M3
    Dakar Yellow

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Thanks for the feedback here, I will certainly reach out to Yanni. I am prepared to leave the car for several months, I am concerned about quality and reliability, not a rush job. The car is always stored in winter so after the summer driving season is over she will be going under the knife. I am fully prepared to leave it in the shop for 3-4 months such that the build is executed to a gold standard.

Edit: Wow convenient, this shop is 10 mins away from my house, thanks again mate, really appreciate it!
    Then he's definitely the right guy for you, and proximity is bonus too. The address on the site is inaccurate though, he's moved to Speers - but still going to be close to you. Give him a call and maybe arrange to drop by sometime. He's always got cool projects on the go - GNX, air cooled Porsches etc. Have him do your plumbing too, his welding is as impeccable as all the rest of his work. He also works with a welder in the Nuclear sector who helps him do final purged welds, that guy is an artist. The welds look as good inside as they do out:

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody @ Miller View Post
    Any builder that has a stelar reputation for quality and power output can take care of you. An engine is an engine.
    Fair point, just gives me more comfort if the builder is familiar with the platform.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Then he's definitely the right guy for you, and proximity is bonus too. The address on the site is inaccurate though, he's moved to Speers - but still going to be close to you. Give him a call and maybe arrange to drop by sometime. He's always got cool projects on the go - GNX, air cooled Porsches etc. Have him do your plumbing too, his welding is as impeccable as all the rest of his work. He also works with a welder in the Nuclear sector who helps him do final purged welds, that guy is an artist. The welds look as good inside as they do out:
    Will do, thanks again!
    1998 E36 M3
    Dakar Yellow

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Will do, thanks again!
    Happy to help! I usually don't give recommendations like this because I can't give my word that the person does business like I would. He's one of the exceptions.

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody @ Miller View Post

This. My shop had no exp. with the m5x
    Prior to building my motor but they did it without any issue. They have done countless other builds in stock car, tractor pulling, drag, etc etc

My Cars
    supercharged 97 m3
    Competition Automotive...
    They are the best...
    Insufficient funds...

My Cars
    1998 M3 AA St 2
    Sounds like you'll be in good hands

Sent from the vortex of my Rotrex

360+rwhp