Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2JZ Swapped E36 Build Thread

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post
    I saw you mention in the other thread that you could return fuel to the pump side (in addition to the siphon side), but that may lead to burning up the siphon pump on account of it not having enough fuel in there.
    That is the way mine is set up. I can go until the light is on and did run out once just before the gas station, but it was right at the E line.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    That is the way mine is set up. I can go until the light is on and did run out once just before the gas station, but it was right at the E line.
    Cam are you running dual pumps? Or a single pump with a split return to both sides?

My Cars
    Lots.
    I had the same immediate question as E30Kid. Is that because you are running a single 340 pump and aren't worried about it requiring more fuel than the fuel system can return?

If returning to both the pump and siphon side is the solution thats great, but there was some mention by Mike R. of that overpowering the siphon if you return too much fuel to the pump side.

To be perfectly honest, this straight line starvation (when using 2 pumps and returning too much fuel at PT) is all new information to me as of 2-3 weeks ago and I'd like to get a solution in place ASAP so I can have SP implement that solution.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    Out of Service
    If you split the return your not overpowering the stock jet siphon. You may however not be providing enough fuel/pressure to the jet siphon and therefore it may not function properly. Therefore you could still run dry on the passenger side with the drivers side full.

I wish someone was currently running a split return setup with dual pumps or at least a single 400 and let us know if the stock siphon still functions. We've been talking about it here on the forum, but I'm not sure anyone has any physical data if it works.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    If you split the return your not overpowering the stock jet siphon. You may however not be providing enough fuel/pressure to the jet siphon and therefore it may not function properly. Therefore you could still run dry on the passenger side with the drivers side full.
    Solution being to run a split return with a much smaller fuel line going to the pump side than the siphon side? Not sure if that would even work to create adequate pressure to operate the siphon.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Yes, but I'm not sure what pressure does or doesn't work.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    I had my car running with twin Walbro 255s with the split return and the stock siphon working correctly for years AFAIK. I always had Twin Walbros until more recently when I went to a single 485 and now I have twin 485 for e85. I will check tomorrow and see what sizes the two lines are after the split, give you the sizes to each tank and any other more detailed data about the configuration that I can obtain.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    You're my hero lol. Tha would be amazing!
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    I had my car running with twin Walbro 255s with the split return and the stock siphon working correctly for years AFAIK. I always had Twin Walbros until more recently when I went to a single 485 and now I have twin 485 for e85. I will check tomorrow and see what sizes the two lines are after the split, give you the sizes to each tank and any other more detailed data about the configuration that I can obtain.
    Thanks, let us know! I'm going to be running a single 485 myself for now and going with twins in the future for dreams of e85 in Canada! (Lol there are only 3 stations in the province/country.) If I figure out the logistics of getting my hands on it w/o much hassle then I will make the full commitment in the fuel system dept.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Sorry yesterday turned into a crazy work day.

DUAL IN-TANK PUMPS - NO FUEL STARVATION TO E LINE:
    Split the number 8-an return line into one -6 and one -4 an returns. The 6-an line goes back into the pump assembly side (passenger side tank) and the 4-an line goes into the factory siphon side (driver side tank).

I will look for video or photos of fuel lines for you.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Split the number 8-an return line into one -6 and one -4 an returns. The 6-an line goes back into the pump assembly side (passenger side tank) and the 4-an line goes into the factory siphon side (driver side tank).
    Thanks Cam for the info. I wonder if my dual 400s would react in a similar fashion (being able to never starve and run nearly to E) as the dual 255s you are running with that same return setup?

My Cars
    Lots.
    Man, this sure is a "while you're in there" scenario.

So, after much discussion about how the 6766 is uber responsive and my old manifold with the single WG setup (and the angle at which the WG was connected near the collector) being a recipe for creep....we added a few new items:

• SP Racing F1 Tubular Manifold with Dual 44mm WGs
    • SP Racing Quick Spool Valve (improves spool by 400-500rpm with no sacrifice in power)
    • 4" Fabricated DP into 4" MidPipe
    • SP Boost Activated Exhaust Cut-Out (fully open at 12psi). -- This was tough as I want to keep the car stealth when just putting around or as my DD...so this will allow me to maintain much of my current 3" exhaust and not have it affect flow when full tilt (as the cut out will be open).
    • New boost gauge to read up to 35psi
    • Install Catch Can Setup (instead of continuing with what would be a stressed factory PCV)
    • Powdercoat Valve Covers Gloss Black

Sounds like they are cracking along...cams are in, manifold was test fit, ProEfi wiring is well underway.

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    The qsv is awesome. There is a thread about it that shows the difference in how the power comes on with stock twins. The low end torque numbers were amazing.
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkpgt96 View Post
    The qsv is awesome. There is a thread about it that shows the difference in how the power comes on with stock twins. The low end torque numbers were amazing.
    I didn't think it necessary at first though ultimately decided because its all apart, hasn't been tuned, and the manifold is already setup for it.....if I were ever going to do it, now was the time.

I had a similar thought in deciding DBB vs. JB for the turbo where I figured for a difference of $500, it's worth it not to constantly wonder "what might have been" by picking the cheaper option and regretting it. Go big now and enjoy it.
    Last edited by 95RogueM3; 12-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    There was a discussion a while back on this forum on the qsv. IIRC it was Def or wazzu who were explaining why it was not good. Might want to do a search on here to find the discussion because it was good.
    Last edited by cragg56; 12-10-2013 at 10:18 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post
    Thanks Cam for the info. I wonder if my dual 400s would react in a similar fashion (being able to never starve and run nearly to E) as the dual 255s you are running with that same return setup?
    Correct. I had those fuel lines and setup with the 255s for years. Then when a 255 failed I decided to just go single 485 and it still worked great. Now I have twin 485s. Haven't finished this "phase" yet but when I do I will report. Should be fine once again. Just go with those sizes and the Y from the -8 return to the -6 and -4 right when the -4 is about to go up to the driver side tank. Don't reinvent the wheel.

I love the new list of "add-ons". Looking good.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Mike R had mentioned in another thread (dual fuel pump thread) that he uses two pre-95 jet siphon pumps in the drivers side tank fed by a split return.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Lots.
    2 Quick Pictures:

Custom Fabricated Catch Can (will be coated black and use black AN fittings to the valve covers):

Mocking up the manifold (prior to QSV install):

My Cars
    Lots.
    Not a ton to report. Hopefully the items that were sent for coating early last week will soon be installed and the progress will really ramp up. Wiring and fuel system are still ongoing.

Larry sent me a phone pic of the downpipe/midpipe in progress: 4" DP and Midpipe transitioning into a 3" "axle back". Not sure where the cutout will be placed....presumably in the 3" section of exhaust.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Compared to what I'm used to...that is quick work!

My Cars
    Lots.
    Compared to what I'm used to...that is quick work!
    Yep, certainly not slow. I guess I was just spoiled by them knocking out so much in the first 5 days. That and I'm antsy to get the car back.

Got a pic today of the cut-out installed and the catch can back from PC before the shop closed for the holiday break:

My Cars
    Lots.
    Few more pictures I was sent today. Progress is still moving along, though the snow storms and weather in Chicago haven't aided the completion:

Handful of Parts Coated:

CM FX850 Clutch Install:

Manifold, QSV, and Turbo Mocked Up (prior to coating DP and Manifold):

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    I'm jealous. Progress has been slow for me too with all of the snow and bitter cold we have been having here in St. Louis.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Car is nearly finished up. Few more pics below:

Midpipe and Boost Cutout Finished and Coated

Turbo Installed and Charge Piping Modified:

Cut Out (opens at 12psi):

I was initially going to keep my old intake setup (as I kinda like the pie-cut look and the beauty of nice welds):

...however after dyno tuning and talking to the guys at SP, they made it clear that the turbulent pipe and tiny air filter just weren't optimal. I opted to have them replace with the below setup (this is just fabbed....the final pipe will be polished):

On the rollers:

The first dyno pulls were done with the old intake setup, and once the new setup comes back from being polished, the car will go back on the dyno to see what kind of gains were achieved with the massive filter/smooth pipe.

On E63 (63% Ethanol as a result of some 93 left in the tank and the typical E70 winter blend): 749whp/719wtq @ 32psi.

The guys at SP are confident that with true E85 and the new filter setup, there is no reason the car won't exceed 800whp as the ProEfi ramps boost and timing commensurate with ethanol content.

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Awesome numbers!! This winter has been brutal for getting work done!

Can you refresh my memory on what you ended up doing for fuel return/pumps/lines/etc...?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast