Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2JZ Swapped E36 Build Thread

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post
    Yes, it struck me as a bit weird too. They said that they have found the 6466 to be a phenomenal turbo, but really to "shine" at higher boost levels (30+ psi) and not be quite as impressive on pump. In comparison, they said the 6766 is great on pump as well as high boost (and only gives up a tiny bit of power to the 6466 in doing so...again weird that a 64mm turbo at 35psi would outflow a 67 at similar levels...but thats what the data shows).

They have done a TON of research (and are the shop behind those graphs everywhere comparing the 6266 to the 6466 to the 6766). I took their word for it.
    Wow! Awesome response thank you so much.

Oh believe me I had a 1995 single turbo Supra for 3 years and researched SP a TON. Much respect to them.

This has been part of a few new critical thinking conversations within BFCFI lately where we are getting more into the engineering of the turbine wheels and compressor wheels, their dimensions and what it means to have a much more dramatic exducer versus inducer compressor wheel compared to other turbos with a much smaller difference in size comparison with the inducer versus exducer. The compressor wheels with the larger difference tend to be big psi shining turbos and the compressor wheels with a much smaller difference when comparing inducer versus exducer, they tend to work well at low boost and don't need 30+psi to shine.

Turbine wheels are still more of an enigma since we do not get to obtain "turbine maps" like we can obtain "compressor maps".

Specifically the newer Precisions and of course the HTA franks-n-beans turbos have been argued to be high pressure but not low pressure shining turbos. The Garrets and GTX Garrets have been said to be more of the low pressure and mid-high pressure shining turbos. Hence, why such a big turbo as the GT4094R still makes such great power from 15-20psi on a 3 liter motor.

I remember being in paradigmguy's car and his journal bearing t4 .68 pt67 spooled amazingly quick with only 16-18 psi and making healthy power near 600whp but that was one of the older Precisions when their factory was in a "different location".

I wonder what SP thinks of the GTX4088R coming out.

Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Sounds like you have a great set of changes coming your way OP! Looking forward to seeing how it comes together and what kind of power you make! I am going a little more modest with mine initially that you are..but I should have the headroom to make 700+ as well on E85. Good luck!!
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    Lots.
    Parts have been trickling in and the car was loaded up for SP in Chicago this afternoon. Looks precarious, but worked flawlessly:

Ground Control Coilovers with Street Camber Plates and RSMs (to be installed closer to Spring):

RallyRoad Dual Pump Hangar. This thing is sweet! (also ordered his dual gauge pod):

GSC S1 Cams (~269 Duration, 9.9mm Lift):

Installed rebuilt (and repainted) front calipers along with new rotors and HPS pads all around last weekend:

Ordered a re-wrapped Euro 3 spoke wheel:

That's it for now. Also have a fresh interior sitting in the garage awaiting install and wheels to be ordered.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Car looks great!
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Nice little upgrades. I do like that Rallyroad dual hanger. Everything is sharp.

She will be quite the boosting beast once she comes back.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Will this car be at the Paul walker event Friday at ISP? Thinking about going.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    What pumps are you putting in that hanger?
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    She will be quite the boosting beast once she comes back.
    Looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kame36sedan View Post
    No, it will likely be in Chicago for the next 2-3 weeks if not a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkpgt96 View Post
    What pumps are you putting in that hanger?
    Dual 400s

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Any concerns with starving them when fuel level is low? I am jus asking because I was eyeing one of those hangers as well for my 2j e36.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Any concerns with starving them when fuel level is low? I am jus asking because I was eyeing one of those hangers as well for my 2j e36.
    Yes, but not really sure what to do about it. Given the other thread, there doesn't really seem to be a great solution. Either run 1/2 of the return fuel back to the pump/passenger side and risk messing with the stock siphoning system or return all back to the driver side and risk starving the pumps when below 1/3 tank of fuel.

I'm waiting on an expert opinion/experienced person to chime in with a solution (which I would then gladly adopt)

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Kame36sedan View Post
    ?

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Surge tank?

My Cars
    Lots.
    Surge tank?
    The only real use for this car will be highway pulls (and serving as my DD). From what I have read, it seems like the surge tank is more useful for someone at the track and not as much for straight line fueling. I could be completely wrong.

I trust Mike R. implicitly and am hoping he has a solution for me to buy off him. Mike?

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Haha mine will likely be used in the same manner. I just figured I would ask and see f you had something in mind.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by M5Hunter View Post

?
    ??
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Haha a very kitt-like way of getting the car transported.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    Haha a very kitt-like way of getting the car transported.
    Having only used Intercity Lines or typical wedge-style open haulers in the past, I was more than a bit skeptical when I pulled up behind him the 4ft. high lift gate before he pulled any of the ramps out.

Side note...got a call from the carrier that he is dropping the car this afternoon (a full day before the estimated drop off!). I hope to get some progress pics ASAP.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Having only used Intercity Lines or typical wedge-style open haulers in the past, I was more than a bit skeptical when I pulled up behind him the 4ft. high lift gate before he pulled any of the ramps out. Side note...got a call from the carrier that he is dropping the car this afternoon (a full day before the estimated drop off!). I hope to get some progress pics ASAP.
    What company is it?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    What company is it?
    I found them through a broker. The shipper is KTES Inc. (2 Truck Operation, Both Trailers they operate are enclosed).

Their only route is Chicago to Florida and back (and any stops along the Eastern Seaboard).

My Cars
    F80, E36, X3"M"
    I would just stage the second pump to come on above 3psi or so. Use an ecu output or a Hobbs switch.
    97 M3 - 8.94@164 - 8 sec street machine, all BMW driveline, factory ECU
    02 M3 - 9.74@145 - Maximum PSI stage 2 turbo kit, stock motor, factory ECU
    16 M3 - 9.3@151 - Built motor/twins
    15 M3 - 9.2@162 - Built motor/single turbo/Ecutek
    BMW SOB's turbo E30 - 8.72@158.39
    follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi - instagram.com/maximumpsi

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike radowski View Post
    I would just stage the second pump to come on above 3psi or so. Use an ecu output or a Hobbs switch.
    Would that correct the issue of pump starvation at or under 1/3 of a tank, though?

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Would that correct the issue of pump starvation at or under 1/3 of a tank, though?
    You know what would be really nice? If someone actually engineered a diagram for fuel lines in the e36 and twin intank pumps which would work perfect for zero starvation and e85 top power fuel flow. Any engineers in here who already have the goods on that intelligence wanna geek out on that? A 3rd diagram would be best.

My Cars
    F80, E36, X3"M"
    Starvation during what scenario? Cornering? That is an issue even with a single stock pump. Straight line? Shouldn't be a problem.
    97 M3 - 8.94@164 - 8 sec street machine, all BMW driveline, factory ECU
    02 M3 - 9.74@145 - Maximum PSI stage 2 turbo kit, stock motor, factory ECU
    16 M3 - 9.3@151 - Built motor/twins
    15 M3 - 9.2@162 - Built motor/single turbo/Ecutek
    BMW SOB's turbo E30 - 8.72@158.39
    follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi - instagram.com/maximumpsi

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mike radowski View Post
    Starvation during what scenario? Cornering? That is an issue even with a single stock pump. Straight line? Shouldn't be a problem.
    I believe he is talking about not having enough fuel in one side of the tank yet having the other side full lets say. Maybe this happens when the fuel return line does not go to a Y connector and only goes to one tank rather than branching off into two lines one going to each tank and then letting the stock siphon do its job? I recently heard about a high hp e36 that couldn't boost when there is less than a half a tank on the gauge because it would have fuel starvation issues. I believe it is a DIY job. Question is...what mechanical issue would cause that?

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    I believe he is talking about not having enough fuel in one side of the tank yet having the other side full lets say. Maybe this happens when the fuel return line does not go to a Y connector and only goes to one tank rather than branching off into two lines one going to each tank and then letting the stock siphon do its job? I recently heard about a high hp e36 that couldn't boost when there is less than a half a tank on the gauge because it would have fuel starvation issues. I believe it is a DIY job. Question is...what mechanical issue would cause that?
    Exactly my concern.

I would imagine running (1) 400 most of the time (except when in boost) would allow me to return less fuel to the driver side of the tank under most conditions (as opposed to constantly running both pumps and returning tons of fuel even at idle). However, I still worry.

Mike, how do you do it currently on the silver car (what size pumps and how many) and does the car ever get below 1/3 of a tank? I would imagine it would always be low on fuel as a result of trying to keep race weight down?

I saw you mention in the other thread that you could return fuel to the pump side (in addition to the siphon side), but that may lead to burning up the siphon pump on account of it not having enough fuel in there.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast