Thread: Rear wiper and washer pump not working

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW

Rear wiper and washer pump not working

I have a direct short on the fuse for my re3ar wiper and washer pump. I have noticed that when I have the hatch in the up and open position that they will both work but as soon as I lower the hatch the fuse burns out--this has to be a wireing problem of course and I will have to remove the molding around the hatch to find the short--anyone have a how to,, on removing the molding--would help in getting started--I have tried to use the search engine --to no avail
    Thanks
    Poolman

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Can a relay cause this to happen?

My Cars
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    I have a direct short on the fuse for my re3ar wiper and washer pump. I have noticed that when I have the hatch in the up and open position that they will both work but as soon as I lower the hatch the fuse burns out--this has to be a wireing problem of course and I will have to remove the molding around the hatch to find the short--anyone have a how to,, on removing the molding--would help in getting started--I have tried to use the search engine --to no avail
    Thanks
    Poolman
    I would start with the wires next to the tailgate hinges, as that's where they are flexed and most likely to break.
    Someone else may be able to tell you whether the wires for the wiper are next to the left or right hinge.
    AFAIK, the pump for the rear window is on the windshield wiper tank under the right front fender behind the wheel-well lining.

The plastic covers come off with a Torx 20 driver, take a look at the photos here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8311075...7630670740902/ to see how.

After you remove the covers, unwrap the wire bundles and look for the break(s) and short(s).

Pay close attention when you remove the hinge covers; they are very difficult to replace.

I would say the wires under the rest of the trim are probably ok. They aren't flexed and don't move.

The black trim around the window in the tailgate can only be removed by breaking the three tabs on the sides, or several
    tabs under the top piece. Once broken, the trim is near impossible to keep back on.

It won't be easy.

Regards,
    2014 i3 BEV, 2016 X5 xDrive40e
    Myrtle Beach SC

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Thank you so much for that posting--I know that you went to a lot of trouble to do that and help--I know a lot about these cars and have performed just about everything except engine replacement--if I can help pay ya back with info--please do not hesitate to contact me....Now I gotta get to work
    Thanks again

PS --I would have never guessed those covers come off of the hinges like that

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    After removing the plastic sheilds I found that the wires on the right outside part of the loom had gotten pinched by the hinge of the hatch as it was going up and down--I straightend out the wiring and moved it back where the hinge couldn't make contact with it anymore and all is now well--hope it remains so--thanks for the tip

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    On my X3 2006 E83 BMW, the rear wiper and washer does not work. I have checked fuses, relay, switch on the weel, viper assembly on the rear window, wires between rear hatch and chassis and found nothing wrong. The rear pump works fine if I replace the connector of the front wiper with that of the rear at the water tank. This means that the wireing through the car to the rear is ok.
    The fault must be in the front?

Is there anything else can check?

Last edited by Torleiv; 01-14-2020 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Torleiv View Post
    On my X3 2006 E83 BMW, the rear wiper and washer does not work. I have checked fuses, relay, switch on the weel, viper assembly on the rear window, wires between rear hatch and chassis and found nothing wrong. The rear pump works fine if I replace the connector of the front wiper with that of the rear at the water tank. This means that the wireing through the car to the rear is ok.
    The fault must be in the front?

Is there anything else can check?

Hi,

This thread is seven years out of date, though the data is still good. You will find a more exact answer on the E83 sub-forum though. This is a 97-03 5 Series specific sub-forum.
    Wade