Thread: Using the WDS

My Cars
    1996 740iL

Using the WDS

I was going to just add this to my HVAC thread for my own use but thought it would be good to have some basic info for those who need to use it. It is not just schematics. It provides pin outs for each module and often good written information within the tree of the subject you are researching.

****UPDATE***** I changed the link below as it is now a dot net and not dot com. The change will also need to me made in the JAVA Console. (Oct. 2016)

First the link:

http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/release/us/index.htm

Many have issues getting this to work. I will add I use Firefox with a JAVA plugin. The site has no certificates so you will need to add an exception to your JAVA console. Some are not comfortable in doing so. All I can say is I have used this for several years with no security issues.

A legend of sorts:

As you can see in the 'tree' of the DME, you have to pay attention to the information following the item you are researching. Most are not this long but shows the various engines (M73, M5x, M6x), right or left hand drive vehicle and build dates. You will never see the 'year' of your car. It's important to know the build date of your car. Most changes in modules and such happen at the end of a model year production, but not always.

Note the search box in the above diagram. I use the search function 99% of the time. You would normally start out by using a keyword such as 'general module' or 'DME'. So why the number in the box? It is from a schematic:

As you can see in the search box, I had originally searched for DME. In the schematic, note the green 'hotlinks' as noted in the Legend info. You should be able to click on these to bring them up but it does not work on Firefox. So I put what info I want to see in the search box. The result is the previous example pic. From there find the info that covers the build date/engine of your car. Don't just stop there. Further down the tree you will normally find pin outs, picture and location of module/splice/etc. and a diagram of the connector to show you where the pins numbers are located.

That's the basics. Just play around with it. I will caution you to be careful when you are using the tree. Watch for DDE (diesel) at the top of a tree if there is no indication of the engine, i.e. M62 you are researching. You will see what I mean as you use it.

Again, it's not just schematics. I will put an example below of the type of info included in the WDS.

Happy hunting!!

Air conditioning

The air conditioning system is switched on by pressing the air conditioning button. The function light signals that the air conditioning system is in standby mode.
    The compressor only cuts in if the switch-on conditions are fulfilled. The evaporator then produces cold air which is raised to the required temperature in reheat mode with the aid of the heat exchanger.
    To protect the evaporator from icing up, the outlet temperature is monitored by means of a sensor (evaporator sensor) and the compressor is controlled by means of an electromagnetic clutch.
    If a mechanically controlled compressor is installed, the evaporator cutout temperature is dependent on the outside temperature. If the outside temperature increases above 20 degrees Celsius the cutout temperature drops to 1 degrees Celsius.
    The control unit output DME_KO is used to transfer the switch-on signal of the controlled compressor to the DME. The individual switching stages are transferred by way of pulse width modulation with a frequency of 5 Hz.
    Pulse duty factor in % Functions
    Short to U-batt. or line break
    15 Air conditioning off
    30 Air conditioning standby (DME_AC) ON
    45 A/C compressor ON, stage 1 = 5-10 Nm
    60 A/C compressor ON, stage 2 = 10-15 Nm
    75 A/C compressor ON, stage 3 = 15-20 Nm
    90 A/C compressor ON, stage 4 = 20-24 Nm
    100 Short to ground
    Diagnosis of the line is carried out by the DME.
    Switching conditions for the electromagnetic clutch

ON (all conditions must be fulfilled) OFF (one of the conditions must be fulfilled) Timed mode (switching on and off in 20 s clock cycle)
    Terminal 15 ON Terminal 15 OFF Coolant temperature greater than 117 o C and less than 120 o C
    Air flow control wheeldriver out of zero position Air flow control wheeldriver in zero position
    Air conditioning standby ON (function light ON) Air conditioning standby OFF (function light OFF)
    Evaporator temperature > 3 o C Evaporator temperature < 2 o C
    Coolant temperature < 117 o C Coolant temperature > 120 o C - 3 o C hysteresis
    Air conditioning system signal sent from DME (compressor ON) Full throttle signal from DME initiates shut-down with respect to time
    Delay time 5 s (on reaching engine speed > 600 rpm) elapsed Speed dropped below minimum value (400 rpm)
    Pressure switch

The triple pressure switch opens the power circuit to the electromagnetic clutch when the refrigerant pressure drops below the value set for low pressure or exceeds the value set for high pressure.
    Low pressure Medium pressure High pressure
    ON < 2.8 +/- 0.2 bar ON > 20.0 +/- 1 bar ON > 33.0 +/- 1 bar
    OFF >1.9 +/- 0.2 bar OFF < 17.5 +/- 1 bar OFF < 23.5 +/- 1 bar
    Evaporator control

The evaporator temperature controller is made up of a two-point controller on the basis of a variable positive switching threshold with 1 o K hysteresis. The refrigeration circuit is activated at an evaporator temperature > 3 o C and deactivated at an evaporator temperature < 2 o C. This function prevents the evaporator from icing up.
    Coolant temperature

The instrument cluster electronics (IKE) features a coolant sensor on the radiator circuit. This analog sensor signal is processed in the IKE and read in by the IHKR via the K-bus.
    To avoid the engine overheating, the cooling water is monitored by the air conditioning system. At a coolant temperature above 117 o C, the electromagnetic clutch is switched on and off at 20 s intervals. If the coolant temperature exceeds 120 o C, the electromagnetic switch is switched off until the temperature drops below 117 o C. The electromagnetic clutch then cuts in once again at a rate of 100%.
    Full load cutout

In order to shorten the rev-up time of the engine from idle up to full load, the electromagnetic clutch is switched off for a limited period of time at full throttle. The cutout time is between 7 and 10 s depending on the type of engine.
    Full load condition: Speed signal < 14 km/h and acceleration
    Idle increase (anti-stall)

To ensure smooth operation is not impaired by the compressor load, the control lines AC and KO are provided for activation of the DME by the air conditioning control unit.
    When the air conditioning system is switched on, the air conditioning control unit output AC requests an idle increase from the DME. When the signal is active, the DME increases the idle speed by 110 - 200 rpm irrespective of the electromagnetic clutch.
    The idle increase function (anti-stall) is additionally possible by means of coding.
    Option 1: After switching on the rear window defogger, the blower in maximum setting, low beam or high beam.
    Option 2: When undervoltage detected. The idle increase function is activated at terminal 30 < 11.4 V and deactivated at terminal 30 > 12.2 V.
    Compressor activation

The air conditioning function is activated by pressing the A/C button. This is followed by idle increase. By way of the output KO, the air conditioning control unit informs the DME that it intends to switch on the compressor. Consequently, the DME implements an interfering variable circuit, i.e. it moves the throttle in the direction "more air" while at the same time increasing the injection quantity.
    By way of the KOREL signal (compressor relay), the DME sends a feedback message to the air conditioning control unit instructing it to switch on the A/C compressor. If all conditions for switching on the A/C compressor are fulfilled, the A/C compressor is activated directly by the control unit.
    To avoid excessive water discharge from the evaporator, after the air conditioning system has been switched off while driving, the compressor is switched on and off at set intervals for 15 minutes. In this way, the evaporator temperature is slowly brought to the value of the outside temperature.
    Auxiliary fan stage 1

The air conditioning system cuts in stage 1 of the auxiliary fan by means of relays when the compressor clutch is active and the outside temperature is greater than 10 o C. The auxiliary fan cuts out when the compressor clutch has switched off or the outside temperature is less than 8 o C.
    For safety reasons, a thermostat switch also causes stage 1 to cut in at a temperature of 91 o C irrespective of the instruction given by the air conditioning control unit.
    Auxiliary fan stage 2

Stage 2 of the auxiliary fan is not cut in by the air conditioning control unit.
    If the cooling water exceeds a value above 99 o C or if the m
    Last edited by Mayorchuck; 10-19-2016 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Updated to add JAVA console info.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Update. Firefox 52 update dropped support for JAVA, among others, causing issues with the WDS from bmw-planet. Here is a work around that worked for me.

Enable Java, Silverlight etc NPAPI plugins in Firefox 52 using an 'about config setting. Add new Boolean string "plugin.load_flash_only" and set it to false. Then restart the browser.

Firefox will remove this work around with the version 53.
    Last edited by Mayorchuck; 04-19-2017 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    I WISH I COULD READ THESE.. ..I cant for the life of me connect my heated rear seats. I have the wiring and harnesses but at end of harness it leads from rear to front. I don't know what wire to tap?
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by cazal740i View Post
    I WISH I COULD READ THESE.. ..I cant for the life of me connect my heated rear seats. I have the wiring and harnesses but at end of harness it leads from rear to front. I don't know what wire to tap?
    I'd ask Paul (psjr) on something like that.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    See if any of this helps. X38 is the 15 pin white connector on the LCM if you need it.

S68 Left rear seat heater switch

Connector overview

Number X-pin, color Description
    X636 6 -pin, Yellow Connector Left rear seat heater switch
    Pin assignments at connector X636

Pin Type Description / Signal type Connection /
    Measuring notes
    1 E Nighttime illumination signal Nighttime illumination splice
    2 A NTC signal Left rear seat heater
    3 E Terminal 15 Fuse F63
    4 M Ground Ground splice
    5 A Signal, seat heating on Left rear seat heater
    6 A Signal, backrest heating on Left rear seatback heater

S69 Right rear seat heater switch

Connector overview

X637 6 -pin, Yellow Connector Right rear seat heater switch
    Pin assignments at connector X637

Measuring notes
    1 E Nighttime illumination signal Nighttime illumination splice
    2 A NTC signal Right rear seat heater
    3 E Terminal 15 Fuse F63
    4 M Ground Ground splice
    5 A Signal, seat heating on Right rear seat heater
    6 A Signal, backrest heating on Right rear seatback heater

E65 Left rear seatback heater

Connector overview

X792 3 -pin, Black Connector Left rear seatback heater
    Pin assignments at connector X792

Measuring notes
    1 Not used
    2 M Ground Ground splice
    3 E Signal, backrest heating on Left rear seat heater switch

E66 Left rear seat heater

Connector overview

X790 3 -pin, Black Connector Left rear seat heater
    Pin assignments at connector X790

Measuring notes
    1 M Ground Ground splice
    2 E NTC signal Left rear seat heater switch
    3 E Signal, seat heating on Left rear seat heater switch

E67 Right rear seat heater

Connector overview

X791 3 -pin, Black Connector Right rear seat heater
    Pin assignments at connector X791

Measuring notes
    1 M Ground Ground splice
    2 E NTC signal Right rear seat heater switch
    3 E Signal, seat heating on Right rear seat heater switch

E68 Right rear seatback heater

Connector overview

X793 3 -pin, Black Connector Right rear seatback heater
    Pin assignments at connector X793

Measuring notes
    1 Not used
    2 M Ground Ground splice
    3 E Signal, backrest heating on Right rear seat heater switch

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    Update. Firefox 52 update dropped support for JAVA, among others, causing issues with the WDS from bmw-planet. Here is a work around that worked for me.

Enable Java, Silverlight etc NPAPI plugins in Firefox 52 using an 'about config setting. Add new Boolean string "plugin.load_flash_only" and set it to false. Then restart the browser.

Firefox will remove this work around with the version 53.
    Thanks for posting this up! - I wondered why the WDS had stopped...

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Hey Chuck, you found any resolution for version 53? Can't get the site to work with Chrome or IE either. Wanting too obtain the diagram and pin out for the E70 (2008) Top Hi-Fi amp and CCC system.

Thanks in advance.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I don't think there is a workaround to 53. I am not going to upgrade until it makes me. FF has gone the way of Chrome and IE with this stuff.

It doesn't list the pinout. It does this on sometimes on the later E38s if it's the same as the pre facelifts. See if you can enlarge what's in the link enough to read it.

http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/r...000025086.svgz

It just gives me this on both the N48a and the x10266.

N40a, X10266

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    I think the top hifi amp pinout is this one: http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/r...000024600.svgz
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    I think the top hifi amp pinout is this one: http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/r...000024600.svgz
    That's the one. Thank you.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)