Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Smoke from Exhaust. Where To Start?

My Cars
    2006 550I (N62TU) V8
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
    The N63's that you're doing the stem seals on, what is the oil consumption rate? At what mileage have you been replacing them at?
    I found an interesting notation while reading the BMW N63 Engine - Technical Training Workbook (Page 20)

Note: If the exhaust system produces blue smoke, it is necessary to check whether the engine is also drawing oil into the combustion chamber through the crankcase breather, which suggest that there is a fault in the area of the crankcase breather. A clear sign of a problem is an oiled up clean-air pipe.

My Cars
    BMW redesigned the vent valve hoses. Replacing them with the updated parts is the first step.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2006 550I (N62TU) V8
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    BMW redesigned the vent valve hoses. Replacing them with the updated parts is the first step.
    The only TSB I'm aware of is SI B11 01 07 for the N62 & N62TU (and SIBs for the smaller engines). What is the SIB # for the N63 ???

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745 Li
    Thanks for all the advice and info. Took it to my local BMW to get a diagnostic today and they confirmed it is the valve stem seals that require replacing. They've quoted me $6500.

I also have code P0491 CEL error code on which is Secondary Air System Bank error. BMW believe it is related due to the carbon build up restricting air flow which is triggering the CEL code.

I am interested in keeping this car, so if anyone who can do the repair and who is in or near Southern California, do get in touch with me and give me your best price. I'm going to contact some local indy's for quotes too.

My Cars
    bmw 745li, M3
    This issue and order cooling issues I described are related to high temp 105C tstat, with modded 90C tstat oil consumption drops significantly if installed before the total failure. Also improves mpg and performance.
    With 105-110C running temps any engine will start smoking after 50k mls. Quite obvious the car is running on the very edge of overheating and any tiny leak will cause internal bubbling which will not be able to open tstat and produce normal cooling, oh I forgot to say about crazy pressure you get from running that hot no wonder we get cooling pipes and valley pans problem along with exploded coolant tanks and hoses. Don't forget tranny cooling is also connected to the same engine radiator.
    So far 7 out of 10 n62 I saw had cold lower hose when idling at 105-110. Very hot temps kill valve stems and valve guides yes n62 is doomed to fail- that's the bmw idea of making money.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by garye View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and info. Took it to my local BMW to get a diagnostic today and they confirmed it is the valve stem seals that require replacing. They've quoted me $6500.

I also have code P0491 CEL error code on which is Secondary Air System Bank error. BMW believe it is related due to the carbon build up restricting air flow which is triggering the CEL code.

I am interested in keeping this car, so if anyone who can do the repair and who is in or near Southern California, do get in touch with me and give me your best price. I'm going to contact some local indy's for quotes too.
    Take a look at this to fix the air system issue https://www.agacoolantpipe.com/produ...ry-air-cleaner

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745 Li
    Damn! Thanks man, that's awesome.

My Cars
    bmw 745li, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch1100 View Post

Take a look at this to fix the air system issue https://www.agacoolantpipe.com/produ...ry-air-cleaner
    Pissing in the wind kinda, you just clean it but the root is still there, so when it starts smoking really bad you will have to clean it every 2-3 months, LOL welcome to the ultimate smoking machine club

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745 Li
    Hi all,

Just to update this thread. I got the valve stem seals replaced for $2,500 at my local indy. And I had him do the cleaning of the air injection valves. We also changed out every gasket that came off the car. Did not drop the engine.

My air injection valves were so super clogged and we did end up getting that kit from All German Auto, but had such a hard time cleaning them out. It was caked on there and in the end the only way to get that built up carbon was to drill through it. Indy did a great job.

This job took 2 weeks in the end all because of the air injection valves being so clogged. Things we tried; soaking them in carb cleaner overnight. Seafoam overnight. Other carbon chemical remover overnight. No chemical liquid would make it budge on my car.

Now my car feels brand new!

Thanks to everyone here who helped and provided information. I appreciate you guys a lot!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    Glad you found a cheaper alternative. These eng are pretty complex, but simple to retime. I don't want to knock the dealers, but us techs have our hands tied with how the dealer operates/charges. they operate this way cause the have to. The diag equipt is not cheap, neither is the fees they have to pay.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    98 318

Exclamation Looking for someone to do this repair for me in southern California

Looking for someone to do this repair for me in southern California - PLEASE HELP!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by garye View Post
    Hi all,

Just to update this thread. I got the valve stem seals replaced for $2,500 at my local indy. And I had him do the cleaning of the air injection valves. We also changed out every gasket that came off the car. Did not drop the engine.

My air injection valves were so super clogged and we did end up getting that kit from All German Auto, but had such a hard time cleaning them out. It was caked on there and in the end the only way to get that built up carbon was to drill through it. Indy did a great job.

This job took 2 weeks in the end all because of the air injection valves being so clogged. Things we tried; soaking them in carb cleaner overnight. Seafoam overnight. Other carbon chemical remover overnight. No chemical liquid would make it budge on my car.

Now my car feels brand new!

Thanks to everyone here who helped and provided information. I appreciate you guys a lot!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by s14b23 View Post
    This issue and order cooling issues I described are related to high temp 105C tstat, with modded 90C tstat oil consumption drops significantly if installed before the total failure. Also improves mpg and performance.
    With 105-110C running temps any engine will start smoking after 50k mls. Quite obvious the car is running on the very edge of overheating and any tiny leak will cause internal bubbling which will not be able to open tstat and produce normal cooling, oh I forgot to say about crazy pressure you get from running that hot no wonder we get cooling pipes and valley pans problem along with exploded coolant tanks and hoses. Don't forget tranny cooling is also connected to the same engine radiator.
    So far 7 out of 10 n62 I saw had cold lower hose when idling at 105-110. Very hot temps kill valve stems and valve guides yes n62 is doomed to fail- that's the bmw idea of making money.
    Most of the problems you listed have to do more with materials than anything. The bronze guides wear due to the alloy makeup and exposure to extreme exhaust temperatures. Which is why the exhaust guides wear prematurely and the intake guides dont. Coolant operating temperature will not alter exhaust temperature. The coolant system will simply dissipate the heat the guides are exposed to . Valves seals leak on the N62, N62TU, and N63 because they use the SAME EXACT seal. They are made from a rubber compound that becomes rock hard from thousands of heat cycles, similar to the valve cover gaskets. The N52, M54, M62tu, etc. don't have the same issue because the seals are made from a different compound and remain pliable for a much longer period. Same goes for the coolant system, the modern cars are made from much better plastics and have a very low failure rate.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750i
    Sounds like my problem as well my friend.. I'm going to look into that Seaform , when I have my plugs and oil changed/filter tomorrow!!! THXS AGAIN , SAS

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750i
    That sounds just like my situation.. Tomorrow , I having my plugs changed ,(also oil changed/filter again)...Seaform to clean those carbon deposit on piston heads..Sounds like a good way to start...THXS MY FRIEND

My Cars
    745LI

Red face 745LI sputtering and losing power

Quote Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
    I have yet to see this on a V12. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just those engine are not as common. I would say most N62 and N62tu's with over 80k miles have a valve stem issue in some degree.
    Hi OEM1, i read on other threads you are an excellent mechanic and you live in nyc. I have a 745li that was sitting for 14 months and now have it on the road driving, and having some sputtering and loosing power. When the car is cool down it starts right up and and i can drive it again. Please help.

Thanks,
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12